“A full day at Tulum and Coba”
Review of Easy Tours

Easy Tours
Ranked #348 of 398 Tours in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Was worried by some of the previous reviews, especially when the bus arrived 20 minutes late, but we had a great day's visit to Tulum and Coba and a modern Mayan village. Good tour guides at the site - Robero and Luis - who had to cope with several languages and did so magnificently. Our driver Miguel was great and got us everywhere safely. There was a problem with timing, but that was mainly causes by other members in the party who don't understand timings and arrived back late at the buses. The inclusive meal was adequate but uninspiring.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,246)

Reviewed 19 May 2014

This was one of the worst tours we have ever been on. We were picked up from our hotel at 7am in a minibus which we thought was the tour bus, it then took us to a larger bus where there were only 3 seats left as everyone else was already on the bus. We had to sit up the back of the cramped bus for what was a 13 hour tour with very rushed stops at the Cenote, buffet restaurant, Chichen Itza and a small colonial town which could have been skipped to save time. If we were to do it again, we would have definitely chosen a smaller tour bus and made sure the guide didn't speak in Spanish pretty much the whole time. Would not recommend EasyTours to anyone.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I went on two tours with Easy Tours. The first one was for snorkelling in Cenotes and at Alkumal to see the large tortoises.
This tour was well done. Both the guides were helpful and energetic, telling stories and answering our questions. The underground snorkelling was phenomenal, a little scary, but one of the most unusual things I have ever done.

My concern was with the guy (Quirino from 5th Ave Easy Tours) who booked the tour for me. I went to see him twice, because I thought he was sincere about finding a good price for me. He even showed me pictures of his kids to me, and reiterated the importance of trust in relationships. Well, on the second tour for Tulum and Coba, I started asking the others on the tour how much they paid. I paid 65$ and most of the others paid $45.. I know its not much of a difference in price, but it was the whole principle that I was trusting this guy to find the best price for me.. I felt taken and was angry about having to pay the company anyway. The easy tour company said I had to take my concerns up with the guy who booked the tour. I didn't have time, nor the inclination to confront him.. I just felt taken advantage of. I also want to say that you can safely knock 30-50% off the first price that comes out of their mouths when it comes to souvenir shopping and tour packages. Don't buy any tours at the hotel. They are the most expensive. . Actually, I own a shop that sells fine crafts to tourists, so I couldn't believe how aggressive the sales persons were. You are walking down 5th avenue and they will call at you constantly to come into their shop. It is very annoying. Other than feeling like I was fresh bait when it came to shopping for tours and souvenirs, I had a great time in the Riviera Maya and would recommend a trip to everyone.
The second tour was to Tulum and Coba. It was okay, but the guide/driver was just a driver and didn't talk at all. So, it was less entertaining.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We were told a specific price when we signed up for the tour. We were told we were to put a deposit down and pay the remainder the day of. Once we put the deposit down the representative changed the price. We speak fluent Spanish but do not look like it. One of the representatives was egging on the other telling him to go higher in price and that we would pay for it. Understanding this we immediately tried to cancel. They would not give us our deposit back and insisted that we go on the tour because they had already booked our spot. We finally came to an agreement on the original price they had told us. The day of the tour came, the driver was 20 minutes late. He drove us to another location where we were to pay for the rest of the trip. Once we got there he argued with us and insisted that there were 35 dollars in fees. This led us to pay more than both prices we were given. In the end we could have argued with the company but, we were already 1/2 way to our tour location with no way back to the hotel (over 1.5 hours away). At this location I was also frustrated to see locals on our tour who payed 45$ less than us. I would have rather gone with a more reputable company. It would have ended up being the same price.
The tour itself was nothing exceptional. Chichan is about 3 hours away from our hotel which cannot be helped. The irrelevant stops could be helped. We made one stop in Playa del Carmen to meet other drivers. We made another stop 1/2 to the location to use the bathroom and stayed there 45 minutes. Finally we made it to the cenote. We only had an hour here which was not enough time to enjoy the location. The cenote staff requires that everyone showers and utilizes a locker for their bags. I eventually gave up waiting in the locker line because I would not have had enough time to even see the attraction if I waited much longer. I did not have time to swim in the cenote which was overcrowded. The "Mayan lunch" was a buffet that consisted of rice, chicken, hot dogs, and a taco. Chichan was worth seeing but, again we did not have enough time to explore. We stopped in another village on the way home which seemed like a pointless stop. There was nothing to see here.

See more reviews
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I will start by saying the tour was not misrepresented by Easy Tours in any way but definitely was not as expected per the middle man. We spent all day stopping and going on a mediocre and loud bus. If you really want to experience Chichen Itza make sure you get at least 3 hours there and skip the stops in Valladolid, buffet lunch and do the cenote a different day. We were picked up at 7:20 am and arrived back at our hotel 13 hours later very disappointed. We spent all day screwing around and were hurried through the ruins in an hour and a half with about 20 minutes of additional free time and then the park closed because it was 5:00. We were not able to get many pictures or really spend any time in one spot at this amazing place, which was the whole point of the tour. Easy Tours people were great but if you have a car go solo or spend a few extra $$'s and ask how long you will be there and make sure you get the bus in the picture. We are very familiar with Mexico and used to anomalies so were not surprised. Just VERY disappointed we could not enjoy the main reason for the tour.

1  Thank John F