Hotel Riviera del Sol
Ranked #35 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I went to Playa for the first time with friends and stayed at this fantastic hotel for 8 days. It is perfectly situated in the town so that it is only two blocks from the beach and a block from the major avenue. With that, it is so quiet, you don't even notice. There is a Starbucks right around the corner, but you won't need it because the breakfasts in the hotel are great.

The staff was awesome. From the moment we arrived until we left, the staff was attentive to everyone's needs and always friendly.

The rooms are clean and arranged in traditional Mexican style. Very comfortable and relaxing. Always plenty of towels. The rooms are secure and each has a safe to lock away valuables

The day we left, we were hit with a tropical storm and the hotel lost power. That didn't stop the hotel from assisting us with checkout. They just emailed our bill and we took care of it after we arrived home. I can't wait to go back to Playa and stay with them again.

Room Tip: Any room in this hotel is great. I had a ground floor room next to the pool that was awesome. I wo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Roland M
Riviera D, Gerente at Hotel Riviera del Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Thank you very much for your comments!!
We will be looking forward to you visiting of again very soon.
Best regards

Reviewed 17 August 2012

This is a great value hotel in a great location without breaking the bank to stay in Playa de Carmen. My friend and I stayed here for 5 days in July and we just didn't want to leave. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. The bathroom is perhaps a little on the smaller side, but that wasn't a concern for us. The location of the hotel is excellent. You are just off the main street of Playa de Carmen where you will find endless restaurants, bars, clubs and shops. When I say endless, I mean endless. I think it is the longest strips I have ever been to! You are also just a block back from the beach, it's a two minute walk and the hotel will give you a pass so that you can go into a private area on the beach with umbrellas and lounges where you can sit for hours sipping margaritas. I must compliment the hotel staff, they were incredibly friendly and only to willing to help. My only criticism is that they were having trouble with their wifi at the time and it wasn't working in our room or seemingly anywhere other than reception which was a shame, but there is plenty of free wifi along 5th Ave. There is a Starbucks just around the corner. My friend and I lived on tacos while we were in Playa ... I am starting to salivate just thinking about them. Can't wait to go back to Mexico.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank jd1983

Thank you very much for your comments. Luckily we have solved the wifi problem with the service provider.
We will be looking forward to you visiting of again
Best regards

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Hotel staff is the best, friendly and always willing to help. The hotel is very close to Play amamitas and just half a block from 5th ave. Rooms are clean, service is impecable and food (breakfast) is always fresh.
If you are looking for a nice place to stay, great service, close to the beach and nice restaurants this is the place to be.
PS: Ask for scuba lessons on the front desk ;)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tomas P
Riviera D, Gerente at Hotel Riviera del Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Thanks a lot for your comments!
It is a pleasure to know that you had a great time with us!
For your next stay with us, We can also advise you about different tours and non-tourist places to discover.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 5 June 2012

This hotel is located one block off 5th Ave. Just around the corner from the hustle and bustle of Playa del Carmen. I was given a pool level room and I was very pleased by the accommodation, the bed was very comfortable, room was large and A/C ran magnificently! I could not get enough of the breakfast Chilaquiles, I had them every morning! I would advice travelers to go around the corner to one of the many bars for a drink if they so choose to imbibe.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ernperez
Riviera D, Gerente at Hotel Riviera del Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Thank you for your comments!
we will be looking forward to you visiting of again
best regards.

Staff of Riviera del Sol

Reviewed 6 May 2012

Hotel

Unfortunately my German travel agency made a mistake and my booking was lost. So I could stay only one night in stead of 18 in this nice hotel. Lucky me they had one left for one night.

Location

The hotel is located between beach and 5th avenue i.e central but quiet. There has been a big construction area close over the street and I don't know if it was just quiet because it was Sunday.

Reception

What a great service, friendly and speedy with organizing things. Competent and caring. Even late evening with my booking on a Sunday.

Restaurant

Unfortunately the included breakfast is only continental and even there I waited long for toast or egg even though there were not so many guests in the breakfast corner. Since this tables are located between the two wings of the hotel there was a strong, chilly draft which might be refreshing during day time but in the morning since the tables are in the shade. I wouldn't have liked to have breakfast there for eighteen days and have either continental or pay on addition.

Room

My hotel room was much more a suite than a room with balcony and a nice view to the pool. I liked this room because it was all Mayan style and a lot of nice details.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank mofin
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My wife, daughters and sister all stayed here in December 2011 - we had a great time. The hotel was excellent, the staff really friedly and helpful, the whole experience was excellent. The hotel provided nice breakfasts in a relaxing atmosphere. It was modern all the rooms were recently renovated, all the rooms are nicely furnished we had a connecting room with our daughters and my sister had her own room on the other side of the hotel. It is small and with a lovely family atmosphere. The hotel also arranged transfer from the airport at a reasonable cost. We would certainly tecommend the hotel.

Room Tip: No tips required all rooms are excellent
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My wife and I have been coming to Playa for five years and haven't found another hotel we like as much as Riviera del Sol. Normally we stay for a week at an all inclusive resort and came across this great boutique hotel as we were exploring 1st avenida one day near Mamitas beach club. We usually arrive a day early for our week and spend one night at a small boutique so we decided to give Riviera del Sol a try on our last trip. Well, we were hooked so we decided to come back for eight days here and it was even better than we thought. We loved the close proximity to the beach, Mamitas and 5th avenida with all of the great restaurants and bars. We also had a great time hanging out and talking to our new friends that worked in the restaurant, Tomas and Gabrielle who are from Argentina and alot of fun to chat with. We requsted suite 201 because, as another reviewer pointed out it has two balconies on the beach side of the building, the one at the end of the breezeway has the BEST view looking straight down calle 28 to the Caribbean and Mamitas beach. The complimentary breakfast was great; fresh watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple and an assortment of breads with juice and coffee but we did order off the menu a few mornings which was delicious, especially the hotcakes! The noise from construction across the street was a little bothersome but not too bad since we were usually just walking past to go to the beach anyway and we didn't really hear it in our room. We would definitely recommend staying here for a real taste of life in Playa and experincing the ambiance and character of the city that you don't get in a big resort.

Room Tip: Room 201 is great, just let us have first dibs... :)
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple