“Nice, clean, quiet, safe and inexpensive.”

Hotel Riviera del Sol
Ranked #77 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice, clean, quiet, safe and inexpensive.”
Reviewed 20 May 2008

We had a group of 8 people stay at this hotel May 3-10 of 08. The hotel is small, clean and on the more mellow north end of Playa. First off, this is a very basic hotel. Its not for the all inclusive traveler or pampered types. We like staying at little spots like this because in Playa there are so many spots to eat, drink and explore. We are not in the rooms much so fancy isn't a concern.
That being said its not roughing it by any means. The AC worked well, and there was a ceiling fan. Most importantly, the place was clean with a good shower and hot water. It had a nice little pool the staff was very polite and the nicest beach in the area (Mamitas) was a quick walk down the street. We had previously stayed (last 2 years) at Riviera Caribe Maya, and we prefer this spot. I would like to see every room with a mini fridge, that would be my only minor complaint. There is a store on the walk to the beach and we bought styro cooler and ice so it wasn't a big deal not having the fridge. The cleaning staff left our door unlocked once when they had finished the room which wasn't something I liked, but there are safes in the rooms, and we had our important items secured.

We felt safe at this hotel and enjoyed our stay. You can hear people in other rooms now and again, and hear people clunking up and down the stairs too. Its not a huge concern if the hotel crowd is mellow and considerate of others. If there were people partying in the rooms all night it could get annoying, but being such a small place, the staff could easily handle it. I think its just not that type of hotel. Yes the beds are hard. It seems to be the case in Mexico, even the plush hotels have hard beds. For the price, we really liked this place. Clean, safe, quiet. friendly staff and a nice location.

• Liked — Clean, quiet, safe and close to the beach.
  • Disliked — Lack of in room fridge in our room.
  • Stayed May 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank gio1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Korean first
Ottawa
Reviewed 27 March 2008

My husband and I have just returned from a 10 day vacation at the Riviera del Sol. Had a great time. The rooms were a good size, large shower, fridge and cute balcony. The front desk staff were wonderful and our rooms were always clean. Beach passes to Mamita's Beach Club was a plus, as was the breakfast every morning. Although it is advertised as a 'continental breakfast' it was really a full breakfast. Juice, cereals, fresh fruit and yogurt as well as toast and jam. The coffee was also delicious (which is usually the only thing I care about first thing in the morning!) We are planning to book again for our Christmas vacation and will be taking our 22 year old daughter with us this time.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank luckyme007
st. louis
Reviewed 10 March 2008

This hotel is 1 block from Mamitas beach and 1 block from the famous "5th Avenue". Perfect location, small charming pool and very clean updated rooms with balconies. Friendly staff and great fruit and yogurt for breakfast. I'll be back!!!

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank sara m
cleveland
Reviewed 8 March 2008

We stayed at Riviera Del Sol February 24, 2008 through March 2, 2008. Stayed in room 301. The employees at the front desk were all polite; the room was large and clean, but the room lacks ample clothes storage for places to put your clothes. Water and ice are not provided daily. Two small cups of purified water were provided on your first day only.

The most upsetting thing at this hotel was the fact that when you are getting ready to go out for the evening and you stepped in the showerl there was absolutely NO HOT WATER at all. This happened every day between the hours of 4 and 8 p.m.

A light breakfast is included in the room price which was nice to get your day started. The breakfast had cereal, yoguer, toast, and fruit, coffee and tea.

Maid service was excellent.

The hotel is in an excellent location. I say this because we have been to playa many times. Very short walking distance to the beach and 5th Avenue. The pool area is small but nice.

The second most upsetting thing at the hotel was that we were charged more than the advertised price per night. We feel this hotel is way overpriced.

• Liked — Location and breakfast
  • Disliked — No hot water in the shower every night around dinner time
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank playasuzi
nyc
Reviewed 16 June 2007

We stayed in this hotel the end of May to the first week of June and while the hotel was very clean and the front desk was very helpful, I felt it was a bit over priced. Granted it was 1 block away from the beach, most hotels are in this area!

Bring AMERICAN cash - they peg their rates to USD and at a higher rate than the current exchange rate...so you get screwed if you have to withdraw pesos (if you have a FX fee with your bank) and if you need to pay with a credit card...

There is a lot of construction going on and the neighborhood is changing rapidly...

Be sure to use the safes that they provide...it's not that we did't trust the staff, but we mistakenly found out that our room key opens more than one room! and there are no inside locks so you can't lock yourself in at night...for a hotel as expensive as it is, I would expect basic locks....and if you have a balcony, please be sure to lock that as well....use your imagination!

not sure if I will go back to riviera del sol - but I would head back to pdc to see what it has morphed into...playa seems to becoming like a little cancun jr with a european flair....interesting to see what it will be like in 2 years...

• Stayed June 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank thurstyturtle
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 11 June 2007

I chose Riviera del Sol because of the location and the good reviews I read on various websites. First, the good. It's SPOTLESS. Whatever sand I tracked in was mopped up by Dulce each morning. The bathroom was very clean as well as the rest of the room. The water got very hot even though I didn't use it to shower because the cold water felt much better. Yes the bed was rock hard, but that's common in Mexico. The location, in my opinion, was excellent. It is a quick walk to the action but not smack dab in the middle of it. It's also very close to the beach - the best part of the beach in PDC. The towels you get to take to the beach are HUGE which was nice. There is a small grocery mart right across the street as well as a nice air-conditioned internet cafe - just a block down. Both are a little more pricey than something a little less convenient, but the trade off is worth it because I was being a lazy bum.

The bad. When I reserved the room I told Carlos I wanted an ocean view room and kitchenette. He told me to request either 301 or 308 in my reservataion which I did. I got room 301. Due to all the construction around the hotel, including a huge hotel going up right in front of cute little Riveria del Sol, it appears only my room plus one other has ocean view.... 301 and the one right across from 301. My issue was that my room did not have a kitchenette. It had a mini frig, but that was it. I admit, I should have said something right off the bat. But considering that the only room available with ocean view (and a kitchenette) upon check-in was 301 I just didn't bother because I knew there was nothing else to move me to. I did bring it up upon check-out though. At first, Melina wanted to argue the point that the room did in fact have a kitchentte in it. After explaining several times that it did not and she confirmed with the two maids, she appologized and said she was not aware that it did not have a kitchenette. She went on to tell me had I told them when I checked in they would have done something about it. I asked what could she have done if it was the only room available with an ocean view. She said she did not know . However, she would not budge on the price of the room, even though I was paying for a "suite that included a kitchenette." I would like to make a comment regarding someone saying that you pay less for cash payment. Yes it's true. You get a discount for paying cash, but the credit card price is the price posted (or quoted). So no harm done there.

I will be the first to admit that I should have mentioned this the day I checked in. But I was a little taken back that Melina's first response was to argue with me that the room DID have a kitchenette, then after realizing it did not, she said I should have brought it up earlier - even though there was no solution. Then stood strong with the original price of the room.

I read someone's comment that the room was not worth the rate they charge. I want to second that - even if it had a kitchenette. I went during low season and paid $117 for the room. Considering all the very nice condos and boutique hotels that have recently been built in this area or are in the process of being built, this rate will not be competative for much longer. I've included a picture of the huge hotel being build in front of Riveria del Sol. You can also see to the left the newish condo complex that also is in front of the hotel that blocks the ocean view. This picture was taken standing outside the door to my room so the balconies inside the room are actually even much further to the left. I feel really bad for the hotel because I think by the end of summer 2007 - they will only have one ocean view room left. This was the 12th time I've traveled to this area in the last 9 years so I feel like I have somewhat of a good feel for how things are in this region. Overall, I was satisfied with the hotel, but it did end on a sour note and unless the rates go down, I will not stay there again - only because I feel I could get a better hotel for the same rate or an equal hotel for less.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
4 Thank texrobin
Napa, CA
Reviewed 3 May 2007

We stayed here in mid-April 2007. Trying to find a nice hotel in Playa del Carmen was a daunting task. Everything on or near the beach was booked. We didn't want to stay in Playacar and we didn't want to be on 5th Ave. We were driving, so parking was a concern. The hotel where we had stayed just seven years ago did not seem to be there anymore. Thanks to TripAdvisor, we found the Hotel Riviera del Sol.

Unless you want to be in the center of all the action, the location of this hotel is excellent. It's in a residential area just one long block from the beach and a very short block from the Pedestrian way, 5th Ave. There is plenty of street parking right next to the hotel.

The rooms are centered around an inviting pool area and there are very nice public areas for relaxing and breakfast. I would like to say that this hotel is a quiet haven in the hubub of Playa del Carmen but unfortunately there is quite a bit of construction going on in the area and in Mexico that means noise for about 12 hours a day, six days a week. But, this is common to all the city and it does quiet down late at night.

We had one of the so-called "suites" for $135 per night. Room 308 which overlooked the pool and had a slight view of the Caribbean in the distance. The difference between a standard room and our "suite" was that we had a fridge, sink, and some dishes in a small kitchen area which we never used. The room seemed overpriced to me. The low-season rate of $105 would have been more appropriate. But, this is Playa del Carmen.

The king size bed was very comfortable and attractive with its decorated headboard. The bath was nice with beautiful tile work but the plumbing fixtures were of low quality. In the shower, it was hard to direct the spray on the bather since it wanted to go all over the place. We usually had hot water but this was an issue once or twice.

Overall, we had a nice stay at the Riviera del Sol. The breakfasts were nice if simple and the staff was very helpful, especially Melina at the front desk. Also, the beach towels and the use of lounge chairs at the beach club were very appreciated.

My only real complaint is in regards to the payment for the room. I was under the impression that I had prepaid for the room when I booked on the internet but was told when checking in that I had not paid despite the fact that they had sent me a voucher for my credit card payment. I had to go online and check to make sure that I had not been charged. Then, we were told that the posted room rate was for cash transactions. If we used a credit card, the rate would be almost $150 per night. This was not shown on their website and was a surprise to us. If I had known, we would have brought more dollars with us. Instead, we went to a nearby bank and withdrew the necessary pesos to pay the bill but this would have been unecessary had they notified us in the email they sent.

Despite these distractions, I'm giving the hotel a very good review. It seems to us one of the better choices in Playa del Carmen, especially if one doesn't want to stay in one of the bigger resorts and being on the beach is not a priority.

• Liked — Good location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple