All reviews mamitas beach club fresh fruit perfect location quaint hotel short walk to the beach included breakfast the staff was friendly and helpful two blocks rooms are spacious small pool restaurants and shops ceiling fan check in was easy loved this hotel water pressure fantastic hotel rental car
Reviewed 8 March 2014

The location of this hotel is great (close to beach and 5th avenue) but not sure why it rates so highly for on Tripadvisor for customer service. We checked in and were forced to carry our own luggage up to our room (there is no lift) which turned out to be the wrong room type for which we had booked and we then had to wait 3 hours to access a new room.

We were told on the day we arrived you get a complimentary welcome drink anytime from 4pm at the bar - We returned at 5pm and nobody was at the bar so it wasn't even open.

The room was ok, nothing fancy and the breakfast that is included isn't anything to shout about either, if you want anything decent you have to pay from a separate menu.

This was second hotel we stayed at in Playa Del Carmen. Compared to the Soho hotel (which was pretty much same price) I thought this hotel was nowhere near as good as Soho hotel is much more stylish inside, bedrooms are much better, swimming pool area at Soho is much nicer and it does a much better breakfast included in room rate.

I guess it depends what you are looking for but I wouldn't stay here again as I just think there are much nicer places in the same price bracket nearby and the Service didn't exactly dazzle either.

Date of stay: March 2014
1  Thank PatrickT79
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We have been coming to this hotel for several years and are never disappointed. Friendly staff welcomes you like you were old friends. The breakfast each morning is good and sooo handy. The location cannot be beat in Playa. The only reason I do not give it 5 stars is that the rooms are abut dated but all in all a great place to enjoy Playa.

Date of stay: February 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
rivieradelasol, Gerente at Hotel Riviera del Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thanks for your feedback! and thanks for choosing us again !!

Reviewed 15 February 2014

With this hotel you get the basic things you need when staying in Playa. It's got a very good location, friendly staff, and clean rooms.

What you get is a basic breakfast that will carry you until lunch. The pool is OK, but this hotel might not be that suited for kids.

Me and my friend would love to return.

Room tip: Don't stay in the top floor, they've got a ventilation system that will annoy you. Maybe ok for 2 - 4 nights, but not for a long stay.
Date of stay: February 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Baines47

Thanks for your feedback!

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed at Riviera Del Sol with my girlfriend January 23-27. It was a nice hotel, very clean, nice furniture (many reviewers of Playa hotels complain about hard beds but after three visits to Playa this seems to be the norm so it doesn't bother me) WONDERFUL staff, and excellent location at the north end of Quinta just a block from Mamita's. I truly like this hotel and would stay with them again as long as I don't get a room on the first floor. We stayed in room 104. This room is one room away from the dining/bar area. So every morning we woke to the sound of breakfast being setup. Also, all of the first floor rooms look out to the pool and reception area. Everyone walking in and out of the hotel or hanging at the pool is outside your room. There is a privacy screen for your sliding glass window, but then it feels like you're in a closed room. Also, if you'd like to get, well, intimate, it doesn't feel very private. One tip I can offer if you happen to get a first floor room: on the second floor is a nice sitting area with daybeds and books to read. So if you're feeling cooped up in your room and want some fresh air head up to the second floor. We didn't discover this little tidbit until our last day when we decided to look around the hotel.

Riviera Del Sol is a very nice hotel, great location, super friendly helpful staff, great breakfast (saved us about $20 per day), and I would absolutely stay there again. As long as my room is on the second or third floor.

One last tip for budget travelers: I booked on venere.com a result that I got when I input my dates in TripAdvisor. It was nice because when booking through venere you only have to pay first night, you pay the balance at checkout. Venere says you pay at checkout but Riviera Del Sol asks you to pay the first night, which I think is perfectly reasonable. It allowed us to spread out paying for our vacation, instead of one lump sum. Happy travels!

Room tip: Definitely get a room on the second or third floor
Date of stay: January 2014
3  Thank Lindsey S
rivieradelasol, Gerente at Hotel Riviera del Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2015

Thanks for your feedback!!! hope you visit us soon! Greetings!

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I have stayed in this hotel twice. The first time in 2005 when Playa was still a small Mexican village and now when it is a hip-swanky hot spot for European travelers. Both times the was quaint, clean and quiet with friendly staff. The complimentary breakfast changes everyday and is fabulous. The rooms are large and clean. The best thing about this hotel is the complimentary tickets for chairs and umbrellas at Mamita's beach club which is just one block down the street from the hotel. This is a $30 savings everyday vs having to rent from Mamita's. The location of this hotel is excellent too. I do agree somewhat with previous comments about hearing music from local restaurants. It seems highly popular now in Playa for restaurants to blast techno/lounge beats in all directions. So yes this can be heard in your room but with the patio door closed and the air vent on you can drowned out the sound which doesn't seem to play all night long (someone said until 4am?). I am very light sleeper and got excellent sleep every night, so no worries. This hotel is a great value and no risk to those brave travelers (ha ha) who want to venture away from "all inclusives." Have fun!!!!

Room tip: All face the pool. There are three levels (ground, 1st and 2nd). We stayed on the 1st and could not hear noise above or below us. I would avoid the end rooms because you will get traffic noise from two streets.
Date of stay: January 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thanks for your feedback! and thanks for choosing us again