“Worth the money”

Kinbe Hotel
Ranked #106 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“Worth the money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

I was in the hotel last week. I booked it online while i was serchibg for cheep hotel for the end of my trip, i didnt expect to much and i was wrong its very comfterble great location good rooms and comfterbale. I regret that i just found it to late and only eith two nights left but im sure gonna recomend it.
Aviv
Israel :)

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank springaviv

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Slovak first
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed her this week with somewhat rainy tropical weather, but it was a nice place to hang out while waiting for the rain to stop. It's no longer tourist season so we enjoyed a peaceful three days at Kinbe. The front desk guy ( Carlos) was extremely helpful to us. One night we tried to book a scuba trip really, really late after realizing that it started at 7:30 the next morning. Carlos made some phone calls to try to get a booking for us. We also got good advice on where everything was, how to get to the bank, where the colectivos are stationed; one night Andy had an allergic reaction and Carlos helped us call the doctor. He was ( and is) a very sincere and friendly and a great host to us.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

Very nice, cool and chill spot. Great hospitality from the front desk guys Carlos and Enrique. Very accommodating and professional. Hotel was nice and clean, lots of green, steps from the water, centrally located to all entertainment and dining possibilities...Now, if you are looking for a gigantic hotel, all inclusive that you are completely trapped to only what they offer and want nothing to do outside world, this is not the place for you....This is a great unique place to get away from the huge commercial spots and enjoy the best playa has to offer...

Room Tip: Room 13, is a lofted room with a separate living area, with city and partial ocean views....it is l...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

Stayed here in January and I've just had a call off my bank saying my cards been cloned and tried to be used in Mexico. The only time i used my card in Mexico is when the hotel asks for your card incase of any damages.. My bank said it had been used with a magnetic strip.. AVOID THIS HOTEL

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Mark D
Jeeval, Gerente at Kinbe Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear Guest

We're very sorry for the incident with your credit card.
This is very strange, since our employees have been working with us for many years and this has never happened before.
We understand the inconvenience this has brought you and although we apologize, unfortunately we cannot be certain to a full extent that this happened in our hotel.
Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any other concerns or inquiries.
La
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

Stayed here 5 nights. Staff was always friendly and able to give some recommendations for tours and dining though it bothered me that everyone in this town seems to get something from their referral since they pass their name on the cards.

We specifically asked for a very quiet room, but got a loud room on the top floor facing a bar next door. Music from the bars/clubs nearby are very loud. I'm so glad we did not stay on the main strip nor the other streets nearby. The staff moved us to a much quieter room on the 1st floor next to the owner's office.

Room is on the smaller side though we didn't mind. I wish there was more counter space in the bathroom and it would've been very helpful to have a soap dish in the shower. Though I appreciated the thought of a pebble covered shower floor, I had to step carefully as some had sharp edges.

Comfy bed, nice TV, A/C was useful every day during the hot summer day/nights. Didn't want to swim in the pool as it seemed dirty with leaves every day. Just 2 blocks from the beach and 1 block from the main shopping strip.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Tecate, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

the photos of the property on the internet are very deceptive. the rooms were very small, as is the property as a whole. many of the rooms and the rooftop viewing area were being renovated while we stayed there, which really limited our ability to enjoy the experience. also, there was no hot water (of which we were not informed upon arrival). hotel kinbe has lots of potential, but it was DEFINITELY not worth the price!* don't let the pictures fool you!

*we stayed only one night at kinbe and spent 5 other nights in a much better, less-expensive hotel in playa del carmen that was 100% better!

Room Tip: pick a different hotel!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

To start with the positives... the staff were friendly and, mostly very professional. I was helped with my bags, to get them up and down the stairs. The garden is very pretty, and the hotel is in a great location. The rooms are very clean. When I complained (more later), the hotel staff were very accommodating.

Onto the negatives... maybe I am just being fussy, so make your own mind up whether you'd still like to go, based on the info below!

Noise levels: There was alot of building/renovation work going on next door and on the roof all day every day. I twice heard drilling at about 4:30am too! I think someone should have explained upfront and apologised in advance. You can also hear the boom boom of the night clubs all night too - fine if you are in the nightclubs but I was there to dive so was having fairly early nights! I understand there's not much the hotel can do about that.

Breakfast: There is no restaurant. I had paid for a solo dive package from England including B&B. Each day I had to ask for a little handwritten ticket and go to Senzi by the beach to have my continental breakfast. They only started serving at 8:30 and my dive trips tended to start at 8:45. Abit of a stressy way to start the day! The breakfast was nice and the location lovely - just bad organisation.

Wifi: The wifi was broken when I arrived Saturday night and wasn't mended till the Wednesday.

"Welcome": none! I arrived in the middle of the night, so fair enough. However, it would have been a nice gesture to have a complimentary bottle of water like I had in another similar hotel in Cabo, and maybe a little map and some info about the diving package. I just got up early the next morning and went straight to the dive shop to find out what was going on.

Rooms:
My first room was in the"older" part overlooking the garden. It had one tiny window so I needed to put the light on all the time. No outdoor space. Nowhere to hang drying clothes. Rustic shower with stones on the floor. Security box ridiculously difficult to use (dodgy key). Terrible reception on TV (I don't really care but don't put a TV in at all if it's going to be that bad!).

I asked on day 2 to move to a room with a balcony, and this request was accommodated on day 3. I was told it would cost an additional $30 per day. This fee was waived in the end, given all the other things I list below...

The new room did look more chic and had a lovely little balcony overlooking the pool (I never saw anyone swim in it, but it is nice as a backdrop). However, although that side of the hotel seemed to be the more "chic" side I was still disappointed by various things. It just felt like whoever designed it all hadn't thought it through properly:
- metal stairs were really noisy. I took my shoes off when going out early so as not to wake up the other guests
- no towel rail, just hooks on the back of the door
- a strangely designed sink which basically meant you couldn't block it off at all so impossible to rinse through your clothes in it - also nowhere to hang things up to dry - not ideal when you are on a beach/dive holiday
- security box impossible to use, so I gave up and handed the key back in
- lightswitches strangely designed and I needed to faff around each time to find the right bit to press on.

Also - no hot water in the "upgraded" room. I was assured someone was looking at that but it didn't get resolved while I was there. I wouldn't normally mind but I did have a bad cold so a hot shower would have been nice.

One day I came back to my room after lunch to lie down as I wasn't feeling well. My room door was open and there was a repairman in my room dismantling the aircon. He and his colleague were around for a while and went from one room to the next leaving the door open. I was a little concerned, as I had various valuables on a table in view of the stairwell. I'd not bothered using the security box as it was too difficult to use and I trusted the cleaning ladies, but this started to bother me.

A couple of last points:
- I would always hang my towel up on the back of the door but they changed it every day anyway, so not very environmentally friendly (despite the notice).
- Once I got a room with more natural light, I always had mosquitos! It would have been nice for the hotel to include anti-mosquito coils/products.

So, I'm sure this hotel is fine for some people. Personally I wouldn't go back. Up to you to decide if the pros outweigh the cons for you!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo