“Excellet Service”

Ranked #105 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Columbus, OH
“Excellet Service”
Reviewed 5 April 2010

My husband and friends stayed at Kinbe for week. We just returned a day back and my heart is still set on the exceptional service we recieved from all the staff (namely: Fernanda, Ivan, Alejandro and ofcourse the cleaning lady) !! The decor of our room was spectacular... the room was spotless everyday... also there was a terminator who came in and put bug spray so we could sleep bug free... The staff always recommended excellent places to dine at ... overall a very good experience. Will definately go back and stay there !

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Slovak first
New York
Reviewed 3 April 2010

we arrived rather late, 9pm on a friday night, but had no problem or hassles with our existing reservation being there ready for us, all was in good order and taken care of by Andreo at the front desk, the room was quite small but had a airy feeling with the tall ceilings and light color paint. very modern fixtures in the bath!
the lock/security on the doors seems a little flimsy but a room safe is provided for your valuables.

housekeeping did a great job with fresh linens and keeping the sand we tracked into the room swept up. thank you girls. enjoy the chocolates we left for you!

one thing that was a minus was the noisy stairs, they are coated with a thin piece of steel and it amplifies every step anyone takes on them, expect this noise if you are on the poolside. the roof deck is very comfortable and a nice sunrise view or a lunch spot.
the new wal mart is a few blocks up the road and buying beers, lunch snacks or anything else is made easy with that.

safe, central, stylish, great wifi and comfortable beds.
a really great place, the association with wicky beach club was nice but got a little loud in the late afternoon so we just moved down closer to the water with our towels and found the sun just as nice, but quieter!

Provo, Utah
Reviewed 23 March 2010

We stayed at the Kinbe for 4 nights. We had a room that opened up to the pool area. It was lovely. The decor was minimal but super chic. The bed was comfy and for once in our traveling experiences we spent alot of time in our room. TV was available in english and we spent quite a bit of time enjoying the room and its amentities. The only complaint was that the rooms next to teh pool have a satir well that is lined with metal...it looks super cook, but can be a bit loud. the first night we did have some trouble with noise, but I believe it was mainly due to a huge party happening on avenida 5 (we were there during spring break). Otherwise the rest of our nights we enjoyed wondderful sleep with no problems (even from the stairwell noise) . I wouldn't even consider it an issue, but wanted to give a completely honest review. The hotel was right aross the street from the dive shop we chose, a short walk from the beach and Avenida 5. Truly the best location I could image for a visit to Playa. The staff was great and friendly, even with our frequent comings and goings from the room. In sum, it was a great stay and we will definitely be back to Playa and the Kinbe!

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 19 March 2010

We debated between Kinbe and the minimalist Mexican kitch hotel - Basico - just a block away on Quinta Avenia. But I'm glad we chose Kinbe. We stayed here for 8 days during our visit to Playa. Our room was minimally yet thoughtfully decorated. At about $79 USD a night, we definitely got what we paid for.

It was cleaned daily, felt incredibly safe. The 30-something hipster staff was friendly and hospitable. The pool is beautiful and relaxing to sit next to in the afternoons. The laundry service is quick and cheap, and I've never seen my clothes so white. The restaurant next door serves tasty ceviche and 2x1 drinks. There's a Wal-mart less than four blocks away to pick up drinks and snacks, and there's a mini-fridge back in the room to put things in.

My favorite nearby beach spot was Fuzion, a restaurant/bar a few blocks away with live Reggae at 5, great food and helpful service. They're a perfect mix - ah hem, fusion - of elegance and beach casual.

1 Thank eurojamie04
Reviewed 18 March 2010

The hotel is situated right off of 5th Ave and a very close walk to the beach. It has a white front which looks like it's been newly renovated and when you walk though the small hotel it has lush greenery.
The room was a bit of a surprise since when you open the door you basically run into the bed. It's the size of a closet. Which is fine since it wasn't too expensive and we weren't planning on staying in our room much anyways.

The one thing I do wish they provided was bottled water. You'll have to get some from one of the many mini marts on 5th ave.

It's very pretty with a rooftop deck and a waterfall going down one of the sides of the building. It was quiet at night and close enough to everything you'd want to be near.

new york, ny
Reviewed 22 February 2010

Hotel Kinbe is a beautiful hotel off the main road and a step away from the beach. My boyfriend and I stayed for 2 nights. When I checked in I was immediately greeted and it was an easy check-in. I paid up front and the staff was straightforward. I wouldn't say the staff is particulary friendly or helpful but it's a great hotel for the price ($79.00 a-night!). As you walk up to your hotel, there is a beautiful garden courtyard, the rooms are immaculate (the lighting is dim but who cares) and an impressive swimming pool on the terrace. I would definitely recommend staying here if you're looking for a safe, quiet, modern hotel next to the beach. The negative side to staying here is the staff, the general manager discouraged us from going to Cozumel saying it was too 'touristy" and another staff member offered no suggestions as to where to go get something to eat. I felt that the staff could not be bothered. Again, I felt for $79 a night for a beautiful hotel was worth the marginal staff.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Hawaii
Reviewed 21 February 2010

My wife and I just stayed at Kinbe last night and we were both pretty disappointed with our experience for 2 big reasons.

1. I did not appreciate being nickled-and-dimed: When I booked our room on Kinbe's website they quoted me a price that included tax in USD. I entered all my credit card information online and received a receipt via email for the charge. Upon arriving, however, I learned that entering my credit card information just reserved a room but did not pay for one, and we were asked to pay for the room at that point. That seemed fine to me but this is where Kinbe gets sly and unless you're paying attention you won't even notice. I gave them my credit card to pay for the room and they gave me a total price in pesos since they apparently have to charge my card in pesos (?, whatever - fine). What really pissed me off is that they used an exchange rate that was obviously higher than the day's exchange rate so my credit card bill in USD is actually higher that what was quoted online. Depending on the day's exchange rate, this could be a difference of $2 to $10 USD per day per room. You can pay what they actually quote you online in USD if you have cash, but who wants to carry around hundreds of dollars of cash in Mexico (or anywhere, for that matter) - that's why I booked and paid online! Not cool, Kinbe - you should know better.

2. The room was way overpriced compared to hotels in playa and neighboring areas. For example, my wife and I stayed in two 4-star resorts in Cozumel and Cancun that were cheaper and worlds nicer than our small, modest room at Kinbe. Yes, Kinbe is definitely charming and has character, but for what they're charging compared to other hotels, I'm sorry, I just thought we would get way more.

I would absolutely not recommend this hotel unless they were much more honest and up front about their rates (no nickle-and-diming), and unless they dropped their prices by at least 33%.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HI_via_NYC
Jeeval, General Manager at Kinbe Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2010
All the reservation charges by credit card must be in Mexican pesos at the Kinbé; we apply a daily average exchange rate.
Depending on the country our clients coming from, sometime when their bank convert
the credit card charges in the country currency, could be a difference in the previous quoted bill in USD. Anyway, we're speaking about a little difference, absolutely not 10 USD a night
Stefania Cappelletti