“Do not go there!”

Hotel Colibri Beach
Ranked #120 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I regret to write this review but I wish someone had told me this before we decided to stay in this Hotel. The hotel is near the dancing-clubs street and it is VERY VERY NOISY DURING THE NIGHT. My wife and I could barely sleep because of the noise from the clubs. The room windows rumble with the sound all night long. Be aware that the party in those clubs ends at 6:00am. So, if you want to party every night this is the right spot for you, otherwise I would recommend to avoid it.

I have to say that the hotel crew is very friendly and did everything within their means for us to have a nice stay. Unfortunately the night noise is not something they can control.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ElBenja24

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Colibri Hotel Playa del Carmen
Room was clean and adequate. TV reception was fuzzy. The staff were quite efficient and helpful. The plus side of this hotel is that it is right on the beach and a short walk to many restaurants and shops on 5th avenue. Once you get here you will not need a car or taxi. Wifi signal was spotty most of the time. My biggest complaint about hotel is the bar down the beach a piece. I realize people are here to have a good time, but when the bar doesn't close down until 5:30-6:00 a.m. in the morning and plays LOUD music all night long, that is way too much! Even with the windows and doors all closed and AC on. Bring ear plugs if you plan to stay here. They may help, but you will still hear the noise.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs to sleep.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kiddrd
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I'm 32 and don't mind the party scene. But I strongly caution those that want peace and quiet to avoid this hotel. And if it's your only option, get something on the second or third floor. I stayed on the second floor for most my trip, and you could still hear beats thumping through to 6am. But with the fan and AC on, you could still get to sleep. On my last night I was in a bungalow on the ground level and the base was vibrating through my bed, and that cost be $71! Otherwise, rooms are clean, service is great and the hotel is on an ideal spot in the beach.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Definitely recommended for those who like clean places next to the beach, not luxury, cozy, ample and clean rooms. Rates are very, very reasonable for being on the beach and its location is perfect those who like to walk to restaurants, shopping, Very safe and clean area including the streets. I wouldn't change Playa del Carmen for Cancun, for sure I'm coming back and enjoy myself in Calibri Beach Hotel

Room Tip: you pick air conditioning or not, some months of the year you can be comfortable without AC and much...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank 1above4all
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Colibri for 5 nights and really can't fault the place or location. The staff are helpful and accommodating and the Lido beach club is a great place to spend lazy days whilst having a margarita or two. My only advice is choose a room at the back of the hotel as the sound of music from the local clubs does travel. Once the screen and double glazed doors are closed you hardly hear anything (plus the views are better than street side). The drifting music has nothing to do with the hotel, when you get here you will understand the layout and that calle 12 is full of super sized clubs. My husband and I even visited coco maya beach club for an hour at two to find out what the fuss was about and found the place really good fun and easy enough to get home (2mins) - don't knock the sounds of the clubs until you have tried it! If you really are not interested then stay on streets a couple away from calle 12. Back to the review, the location is central to all restaurants, is a stone throw away from the beach. The rooms have a balcony with a/c and a tv for lazy afternoons or rainy days with around 12-14 English channels. We really enjoyed out stay at Playa del carmen, it really is a beach town with everything. We did parasailing from the beach, went on a 4 hour snorkelling and fishing excursion with the 'fishing with Ivan' outfit and caught barracuda. Had a crazy night in tequila barrel (just go for the people watching) and had lovely food at Big Lobster and Vaca de gaucho. A brilliant hotel without a doubt and excellent value for money! Enjoy all

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed at Colibri Beach for 4 nights. The rooms where spotless. The beach was incredible plenty of chairs to sun worship, and staff was very attentive to our needs. The massage at the beach wes amazing and the price was great.we couldn't of asked for a better place. We plan on coming back next year. You won't be disappointed with your stay here.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I have been coming to Playa for 20 plus years, staying a month at a time. I returned in June 2013 and spend all my days at Lido Beach. Today I walked as far as Playacar and Momitos Beach. I can honestly say there is no other Beach Club that comes near to Lido. The seating is comfortable and the chairs are not falling apart. If you want shade they have colourful umbrellas or little huts you can retreat to. The wait staff is amazing, anticipating your every need. Gabby is friendly, funny and extremely attentive to your needs. The prices are good and the drinks are not watered down. The food is fantastic. I can honestly say that you will not be disappointed and I will continue to come to Lido every year. The owners take pride in their business and I know they will never compromise their standard of service. Give it a try...you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends