“Robbed at Fisherman's”

Ranked #82 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Wayne, NJ
“Robbed at Fisherman's”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

This was our ninth visit to Fisherman’s. We love the staff, the beach and the location. Although the studios have never been updated as promised we have always enjoyed the general facilities and meeting other “repeaters” like ourselves. The Customer Service Manager (Pablo) continues, when you can find him, to promise facility and equipment updates that will occur just after we leave. The same promise made so many times to so many people it surely seems like a lie to placate anyone that finds him long enough to make a complaint.
This time however we had a bad experience that warrants comment and was totally ignored by management. While out of our room for about a half hour in the evening, money was taken from my purse and the room was searched presumably for more. I am aware that things sometimes “disappear” when maids enter the rooms and I am careful to lock up anything that might be construed to the staff as a tip. There was no reason for anyone to be in our room in the evening, so our guard was down. We were told by others on the beach that money had been taken from their locked room safes on more than one occasion. Not all the money was taken from anyone. Some was taken so it wouldn’t be noticed. The issue was that when we and others who experienced losses reported the robberies the staff simply didn’t care. There were no reports taken and no investigation or even notification to other guests that a problem existed. It was suggested by management that the problem was ours for leaving money in the room. Our thought was the security person we saw in the hall outside our door as we left our room should be asked about the incident. Again, nothing done.
We will not allow this incident to deter us from returning to Fisherman’s. With all its flaws it is still a wonderful place to visit. Most of the staff and the location are wonderful. BUT, we will be careful not to leave anything of value in the room or in the room safe. Since management will not protect us we will need to protect ourselves. Please you do the same.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Linda M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Broomfield, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

I was able to head down to Playa Del Carmen and stay at Fishermans Village in a condo. This was a great way to take a girls trip. We had a full kitchen and so this was nice to cook a brunch everyday before we head down to the most beautiful beach and a very relaxing pool for the day. In the late day we had a work out in the fitness room and then out for another workout which was a long walk along this amazingly beautiful beach. Then out for dinner in this great city. Met many great people along the way and had an amazing time with my girlfriends. I liked how fishermans village has so many things you can do by just staying there like snorkel gear, bikes, great spa, pool and great things to lay on, on the beach.
What I liked the best was that I could save a little money and time in the morning by cooking in and heading straight down to the beach just minunte away from condo. And at night we were close enough to walk into town for dinner while getting a little more workout. Unit was also very roomy and very comfortable for four of us!! with a great view I might add. Cant wait for our next girls trip on my Birthday!! watch out Playa!! The girls will be back!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anetwork
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

I bought this time share approx. 7 years ago and love this place more and more. All the employers have been there for many years and the staff treats you well. You also have the option to look at different Unit and choose which one suites you.I used to take the new ones, but now my kids have discovered Units with a loft and that gives them more privacy. Marcel and Luis are awesome. Luis is the entertainer for the adults and mostly the kids. He does a wonderful job.
Marcel always remembers you. I don't know how he does it. But he helps with everything.
I Love this place because it's small and not overwhelming. You can walk into Playa Del Carmen and have great dinners there..

Room Tip: Let the staff show you several Suites and then you make you choice.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Addeo800
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Sunset Fishermen Spa & Resort, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for the time yoo took to share your comments about your stay at Sunset Fishermen. we are delighted to read your review, specially your comments about our staff and look forward to welcome you back soon.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

It was very quite and private. Love the condo we stayed in. Roomy, so much nicer than a cramped hotel room. Would never stay anywhere else. Felt like home. Books to read on the beach, which was fabulous. Easy access to the most beautiful beach. Wow!!! Food was great and the staff was very helpful and kind.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jamie D
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Fisherman's was absolutely beautiful. The views were breathtaking and the condo we stayed at was so cozy beautifully furnished. Very easy to cook with maid service as needed. The beach was so clean. The sand so white you could walk for miles without ever getting hot. My favorite was the beds on the beach. Made you feel like a million bucks. Had a wonderful time and would go back again. There are Mayan Ruins in the neighborhood and a stunning golf course so walking to town was a pleasure because it too was paradise!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jamie D
Irvine, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I'm amazed at the negative reviews for Fisherman's Village. I couldn't disagree more. We stayed with our two boys in a private unit (penthouse 351) with wonderful decor, an updated kitchen with granite, stainless and new appliances and had the best views. We could sit on the balcony and see the lights of Cozumel at night. We even had some great meals at Fisherman's (especially breakfast!) but strolled into town each night and picked a different restaurant each night.

Juan, Marical, German, and Luis are all wonderful! Luis is the activites director and has been at Fisherman's Village for years. He remembers everyone's name, plays tennis with the guests, plays Texas Hold 'em, has margarita tastings and has activities for the kids such as volleyball, soccer, sand-castle building, flag football, etc.

Our boys checked out boogie boards and snorkel gear for free and we all went kayaking. We also checked out their free bikes to get into town in 5 minutes when we didn't feel like making the 10 minute walk.

I enjoyed the best massage right at Fisherman's village listening to the surf! I almost fell asleep it was so calming.

Compared to the properties we've stayed "in town" we think this atmosphere fits what we are seeking so much more because Fisherman's is in a gated community and quiet but close enough to 5th Ave to get to all the shops and restaurants when we want "action". We stayed at Luna Encantada a couple of years ago and had to endure fire dancers, drums, and the techno beat until 2 am! That might be great for the younger 20 somethings but not us.

Give Fisherman's a try.....we loved it!

Room Tip: Find a private owner that you really like the quality of the decor and the views and amenities, each...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Snoozie-cakes
Dundas Ont. Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

I am staying in Playadelcarmen for 4 months. Having condsidered staying here I took a bike ride in. I had only just stopped for a brief second , wanting to get a brochure. Not even off my bike I was vey promptly and rudely showed where to put my bike,with the scooters, by Marcios. I said I wasn't staying and would just like a brochure as I was considering staying here next time. He continued to be rude and him and the other fellow laughed as I left. I think I will cross this place off my list.

Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank PiscesLady
We are really sorry to hear of the first impression you had while visiting Sunset Fishermen. The issue you mention has been addressed and reported to the management. We can assure you that it is not our policy to treat our guests in this way. Please accept our sincere apologies and we hope you will make Fishermen’s Village your next vacation destination.