“Rated a 4 star , but come on this resort is only 2 stars.....................”

The Reef Coco Beach
Ranked #105 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 25 May 2011

When we got there they gave us a room that was so bad , first we had asked for a king size bed due to us married and sleep together, but we were given 2 double beds. After flying for 4 hours we were tired, and was needed for a shower. The shower was atrocious. So disgusting, that we had to call maintenance to come and mop up all the water from the floor. We complained, and got a different room with a king size bed. This resort is really worn down, it needs a lot of repair. There is only one buffet building on sight, and food was average at best. The el la carts, where above average. From bartenders to hotel staff, I would have to say very poor, except for the entertainment staff. Which made our vacation really special, two names that should be recommended is Dustin and Alberto. Dustin went out of his way, to show us a great time even bringing us to Coco Bongo. We met some great people at the resort, and always remember a vacation is what you make it, the beach was needed to be clean on a daily basis, we found straws, glass, bottles, cups, etc on the beach. This resort needs to be more staffed, and upgraded for it to be a 4-star resort. Location of Coco Bay is awesome, due to the fact that it's right in Playa Del Carmen which has great shopping, and great locals. I would not recommend this resort, until the upgrades that are needed are done. But again, I give the entertainment staff koodo's. They really put themselves out there to make everyone's vacation special. From Volleyball, to babysitting. In conclusion, the resort is needing the upgrades and touch ups to make it an actual 4-star resort. The location is great, and most of the staff try but are under staffed. I can't recommend this to anyone, until again the upgrades are done. Thank you.

1  Thank seanallan
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2011

Dear SEANALLAN,

On behalf of Grand Coco Bay I would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your opinion about the resort. We were very glad to read that you had a lot of fun with the entretainment staff and that you liked the location of the Hotel.

We are very sorry you did not like your first room and apologize for the inconveniences that were caused because of this. I have taken special note of your comment on the beach and we are taking immediate actions about it.

Thank you again for providing us your feedback following your stay with us.

There are newer reviews for The Reef Coco Beach

Reviewed 24 May 2011

Let me start by saying that, when I do my research on TA, I first look at negative reviews to see whether there's any pattern (e.g., bad food, dirty beach, etc.) and I was a bit sceptical when booking Grand Coco Bay. I chose this hotel because I wanted something that's on the beach and within walking distance to all the shops and restaurants of the 5th and 10th Avenues, and I had no interest in staying at Playacar: a strip of large hotels that makes you feel like you're in Vegas ... or, as one couple I met there put it "We seriously thought about taking a taxi to get to the beach - that's how far it was from our room." I had stayed in Tulum at the Grand Bahia Principe a few years earlier and, while I very much liked the hotel, I didn't want to be that far away from Playa this time around.

Grand Coco Bay was a pleasant surprise. I arrived at 11.30 am and had a room ready right away. (Frequent travellers to all-inclusive resorts down south will appreciate this, I'm sure.) The room was large, clean, had water and sodas (replenished once per stay) in the fridge and a fully stacked bathroom (including mouthwash). Yes, there was no clock in the room and, as the management already commented on one previous review, it did make for a much more relaxing stay. If you'd like to keep track of time, bring a watch or check the wall at the front desk: there you will find clocks, each set to one of the major time zones.

THE FOOD: Nothing outstanding in terms of selection but certainly plenty to choose from and everything very tasty. A very nice fresh juice bar for breakfast (watermelon, papaya, beat, grapefruit, orange, carrot), all kinds of cereal and toppings (nuts, granola, oats, even flax seed!), fresh cheeses and cold cuts, various flavours of yoghurt, pastries, fruits, and a whole array of the more-fatty hot food selection, including a made-to-order egg station. Lunch and dinner always had a number of proteins (fish/seafood, chicken, pork and/or beef), various salads, and all kinds of other goodies. Really good food. The one thing that bothered me each and every day is that, as one reviewer already noted, there was very little Mexican food. Note to management: Set up a Mexican corner where one can get true and pure Mexican food every day. (And no, a Mexican theme night is not enough.) Those who travel to Mexico want to experience Mexico and that includes food. Have fresh salsas. Have tacos, tortas, enchiladas, burritos (Mexican, not Tex-Mex), maybe huevos rancheros for breakfast. And make sure there are fresh chilles! The one and only disappointment during my stay at your hotel was the lack of good Mexican food.

THE BARS: This holds true for every place on earth (maybe with the exception of England, where they refuse tips): Tip a bartender once, he'll be your friend for ... at least, a week. I didn't have any issues getting a good drink in any of the bars. (BTW: Also bring a tip for the lady that makes your morning omelette. The poor woman has a tough job, working the hotplate in this heat.) The bartenders were friendly and smiling. And if you don't get a smile, it's because they're working hard.

THE ROOM: Large, clean - see above.

THE LOBBY SILVER STORE: Negotiate ;-)

THE SPA: Either bring cash or make sure you agree on a price in pesos before they swipe your card. You'll be given prices in US dollars but they'll charge your card in pesos. Their exchange rate was, last week, $175 pesos per $1 US dollar. The lobby exchange was $110 pesos to a dollar. In short, if you're charged in pesos at the spa, you'll end up paying more. Other than that, great service. Ask for current promotions.

THE BEACH: Very nice and clean. There could be more shade but then again, one can always find shade. The beach is about a 2 min walk around the pool from the lobby - the farthest point. You're always within your room's reach. It's too bad that all those boats have to be anchored right outside of the swimming area. If the boats bother you (they're anchored, not zooming by there and back), walk a couple of steps to the left or to the right and ... no more boats. The water was unbelievable!

THE POOL: I don't care much for pools with swim-up bars.

OVERALL, a very nice place to stay. The 5th and 10th are about 10-15 min away on foot or 3 min and $3-5 by taxi. The beach and the ocean are clean and inviting. The service and the staff are great. I will go back to the Grand Coco Bay again and would recommend it to all but the pretentious.

LAST TIP: Buy tequila at the duty-free on your way out. Nice selection and great prices. Prices in Playa vary a lot but all were higher than the duty-free shop at the airport.

Happy travels!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
13  Thank BElster
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2011

Dear BEISTER,

Thank you very much for providing us your feedback following your stay with us. It was a true pleasure having you as our guest.

I took note of your comment regarding the authentic Mexican food. Thank you very much for the suggestion and specially thank you for showing a true interest in the real Mexican Cuisine. We will not let you down the next time you visit us.

Thank you again for your kind review and your constructive commenst which help us improve in order to provide our guests a better service. Make sure you contact us (as well as all of the readers) at guestservice@grandcocobay.com the next time you decide to visit us.

Reviewed 24 May 2011

this was a great vacation, more than what i expected it to be :) the service was amazing other than the language barrier with some of the staff, the people hired for entertainment were phenomenal always creating a fun environment. The rooms were very nice with hot running showers and hard but comfortable beds. The hotel was a little to small for my liking with only 200 rooms. Me and my girlfriend are 18 years old and were hoping for a little more excitement , finding most nights to be quiet and uneventful having to entertain ourselves. The pool closes early and this resort has only a very small disco\ sports bar to entertain you into the morning. I strongly recommend this resort to anyone who wants only to relax and enjoy the beautiful weather accompanied by the aqua blue ocean. make sure to hit up 5th ave and coco bongo, amazing shows that blew my mind :)

Room Tip: ocean front rooms definitely worth it
2  Thank jordanWocknitz
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2011

Dear JORDANWOCKNITZ,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us your feedback following your stay with us. It was a true pleasure having both of you here at Grand Coco Bay. We would love to see you soon and receive you once more.

Reviewed 22 May 2011

The only reason why I booked a trip to this resort was because of the reviews on Trip Advisor. You guys were not wrong. I stayed there for 7 nights and I'm already looking up deals so I can go back again very soon. The staff are very friendly and English speaking and they aren't tip hungry like some resorts I've stayed at. I booked this trip on a budget so I wasn't expected 5 star nor did it happen. The food was OK, it wasn't like eating in a restaurant every night. I would say the food was home cooked, it was edible mostly tasty and filled the stomach. Every night they had a theme night aka Italian, Mexican, and Chinese. Their omelette bar at breakfast was to die for, I'm already craving one. The pool was very large and very clean and there were several lifeguards on duty. Throughout the day they did activities with the guests like bingo or volleyball on the beach. At night time they'll also have 'casino night' or Mexican hat dancers. Vendors also come in a few times a week and you get nice gifts or souvenirs and barter with the vendors. There was lots of security on the resort which was comforting but I felt safe and thought it was a little too much. There is no air conditioning in the common areas like the lobby. There's wireless internet in the lobby for $5 but if you lose the password they charge you again despite it being the same password. The rooms are nice and with great air conditioning but the beds are hard, however I got used to them. However, while we were there they did construction which started at 8am. I'm a deep sleeper and housekeeping came 3 times at 9am while I was in bed and they'll forever have nightmares for how they saw me. You'll see a lot of boats in the water and staff can't do a thing about them but there is a blocked off area just for swimmers.

Overall I had a great time at the resort, its about a 45 minute drive from Cancun International Airport. Its a great resort to go to on a budget. I am definitely going back again and can't wait!

• Stayed: May 2011
3  Thank JournieJunkie

Dear JOURNIEJUNKIE,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to provide us your feedback following your stay with us. We are very happy to read you had a great time here at Grand Coco Bay and that you enjoyed our themed dinners and shows as well as the rooms and facilities. We hope to see you and your mother very soon, we already miss you!

Reviewed 18 May 2011

We stayed at the Grand Coco Bay Hotel from May 9th until May 17th 2011, we had an Ocean View room with the all inclusive package. We really liked the location because it was situated as the last hotel before a very long uncrowded section of beach, yet close enough to walk to the busy town center. The staff were fantastic, patient and lots of fun, the entertainment staff try to include everyone in the daily activities but no pressure if you decline, they really work hard to engage the guests. The shows were surprisingly good with talented artists giving traditional Mexican and Mayan entertainment. The food was good, as buffet food goes, giving a great variety with a different theme every night. If you are looking for a good hotel that is not stuffy or stale and with a good international mix of people, this is for you. One negative we had is the house wine, it could be a lot better. Also, while in Mexico stay away from the time-share, free/discount anything offers, its a hard sell deal.

Room Tip: Ocean View has good views with low pool noise.
3  Thank Brianfk
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2011

Dear BRIANK,

On behalf of Grand Coco Bay I would like to thank you very much for providing us your feedback following your stay with us. We are very pleased to read that you had a wonderful time.

Hope to see you very soon!

The Management

Reviewed 17 May 2011

So let me start by saying this was our first trip down south and we were super excited. The resort was sold to us as a 4 star -looming back I would say it was a 3. When we pulled up to the hotel we were shocked by all the grungy buildings around it and the outside is not kept up very nice it needs to be updated - bright! When we checked in our room wasn't ready and their pool bar only serves food at certain times, otherwise they have some self serve nachos you can eat. Restauraunts were closed between breakfast and lunch so we could barely eat anything. The bar had unheard of beer and the bar tenders really struggled with understanding drink requests, some were very rude. Once our room was ready it was really nice, bathroom was nice as well. There id no towel art here even if you tip which was a big disappointment for us. Safe had an actual key, not electronic, which sucked because we had to carry it around everywhere. Only 2 bottles of water for the week andyou fill up the rest of theweek from a pitcher at the front desk. Never got sick from the water, but still wasn't very impressed. The food was good,besides the specialty food sections where it was made fresh it was a bit repetative. Only tried the1 restauraunt and the food wasn't anything special so we did not go back. Pool was okay, only 1 and half is basically over run with little kids, the other quarter is taken by games with staff so it only leaves the pool bar section for adults. They didnt have enough bar tenders to have someone just for the pool swimup bar so the regular bar tenders would come down if they saw you, most of the time we had to get out and go up. The beach was a bit small as was the swimming area and like everyone else said, the boats were an eye sore. Never got a lounger unless it was raining as they didn't have enough. You can walk down the beach towards the strip for a better beach but it is public. The property is very nice out back and well taken care of. You are given a towel card that you have to hand in to get a towel and you get it back when you bring back the towel. Pain in the but if you want one to cover your lounger and one for drying off after swimming. I realize it decreases usage and lowers washing costs but still unfortunate. Night life was okay, shows were targeted towards kids, but the entertainers were great and gave it their all. Only 1 bar open at night so everyone is there and only 2 bar tenders. Overall it was okay, I won't be going back, for the money we spent there are much better deals!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luv2Relax437

Dear LUV2RELAX437,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write your comments following your stay with us.

I was very happy to read that you enjoyed the food at the resort as well as your room. We have taken note of your comments regarding the a la carte restaurants and the freshly prepared dishes section of the buffet with and will take immediate actions to improve them. If you have more suggestions please do not hesitate to let us know at guestservice@grandcocobay.com.

Once again, thank you very much for your constructive comments regarding your stay with us.

Reviewed 16 May 2011

Anyone who is complaining about Grand Coco Bay is out of their mind. You get exactly what you pay for. No more no less. I was very impressed with my week stay at Grand Coco Bay. Playa Del Carmen area is very nice in general , with 5th avenue within walking distance , very clean, safe shopping both at night and day. I traveled with just my cousin, we are both 18 years old and never once felt unsafe both on the resort or off. Security did their job well on all perimeters of the resort. Pool area was very nice and clean, the ocean front was nice as well. To anyone complaining about the boats. You could have easily seen them in pictures of the resort online, I knew ahead of time they were going to be there because I DID see the pictures ahead of time and it was not an issue. The food and service was good and i definitely feel that you get what you pay for. Remember this is not a 5 star resort people. Nightlife needs a little help at Grand Coco Bay. Hahaha the sports bar had tumbleweed rolling through it every night with the bartender bored stiff. Lobby bar wasn't any more fun. Great place to take a family or just to relax if thats what you are looking for. I would probably recommend this resort to married couples looking to get away. Make sure you bring a watch.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank jubilantjada

Dear JUBILANJADA,

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your stay with us. We are very happy to read that you had a great time at the resort and enjoyed Playa del Carmen.

Thank you for noting our security staff who really work hard to make everyone feel safe.

Grand Coco Bay would love to have both of you back and thank you again for your kind review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to The Reef Coco Beach? Share your experiences!