“I did go back in a FLASH.”

The Reef Coco Beach
Ranked #104 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Arnprior, Canada
“I did go back in a FLASH.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Back to this hotel this time for 2 weeks from January 23-February 6, 2014. I even brought my better half with me this year. (Went last year with the "lads" on a guys get away). Hotel has been going through some upgrades since last year. From the time we arrived we were both made to feel very special. We were given Room 2309 which has a private deck with hot tub.
Our room was on the left hand side (quiet side) and was very clean. Service in restaurants, pool and beach was great. This is a small hotel so has a few less choices at the buffet. We met and partied with some great people from all over the U.S. and Canada. Nice 15 minute walk up to 5th Ave. We spent at least 6 mornings and at least 10 evenings up on 5th. This hotel has one of the best locations if you want to spend lots of time on 5th.
The only negative I would say about this hotel is that they need to bring in "FREE WIFI". Most major hotels/resorts offer this and the REEF really should in the near future. I can't wait to return next year.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ArnpriorBobby
ManagementGCB, Director General at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Arnprior,

Thank you very much for write your experience at the Resort, We really appreciate that you enjoy your stay with us and we will be very happy to welcome you back next year. Please write us an email wheh you have your new reservation to to be sure you get the benefits we provide to our repetitive guests.

The Reef Coco beach family hope see you soon.

Best Regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Plymouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Highly recommended! Awesome views from all angles
Sergio/Gabriella/ArgentineGirl/Milton bring it everyday - way underpaid
Plenty of activities if you choose - staring at the water was the best
Gracias

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Mark M
ManagementGCB, Director General at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear Mark M,

Thank you for shared your experience, for us it is very pleasant to know that a lot of fun found in the resort.
Let us know when you decide come back to the hotel to can surprise you with the benefits of repetitive guests.

Regards from Playa del Carmen México
Powell, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Gorgeous place. It's small so you can get from place to place in a matter of minutes. Very Clean. They are always sweeping and fixing and scrubbing something. The absolute best employees are David E. in the pool bar and Willy, the valet. They both are superb and the made our stay easier and more fun. Gorgeous beach with lots of fun activities. Great pool bar, did I say that already, David E. was so much fun. Unfortunately, we made the mistake of paying for the premium bracelets which allowed us access to the better restaurant, Terezza Grill, and the "top shelf" liquor such as Johnny Walker Red and Johnny Walker Black, Jack Daniels, and Amaretto to name a few. For a mere $6 per person, we could have eaten at the better restaurant and the bars were frequently out of the premium liquors. So if you aren't picky about your "whiskey", I would say skip this. A few other nit picky items that we hope they will work on. 1.The internet was awful. Every couple of minutes you would get kicked off and have to log in again. You couldn't upload or download anything. 2. The fitness center was awful. Very outdated and the free weights were all the same and very old. It smelled musty. 3. If you asked for Decaf coffee, you get a package of Folgers and a cup of hot water. 4. The only sugar alternative is Splenda. 5. Little bitty pillows = stiff neck. Bad when you are used to king size. 6. And most importantly, if you are a wine drinker, the wine is terrible and not included in the premium. The house Red and White wines are awful. You can buy a bottle of other wine and they had a couple good choices. Overall, this is a beautiful place with lots to do and makes a wonderful vacation. I do hope they will work on the fitness center as when it rains, there isn't much else to do. I would recommend this hotel and with a little work, they could easily get 5 stars.

Room Tip: Request on half way between the beach and the lobby.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Carrie G
Renfrew, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

I read a few poor reviews before going to this resort and was a bit worried, but all my fears were unfounded. Personally I think that anyone who had given this resort a bad review is far too picky, You can see from the photos that the resort is older and smaller so it should be no surprise if you thought you were getting a "Sandles" type experience. Yes there are a hotel in transition so some of the rooms have issues as they have not been updated yet, but the staff is more than accommodating to fix any issue that arises.

The hotel is charming and comfortable, and I never met an unfriendly staff member. You get what you put in, so if you are respectable and nice to the staff you will get the same in return. I tipped, but not all the time and the staff was still nice. Our room and the hotel were always spotless.

There is entertainment every night. Some shows need a little something extra but the sports and entertainment staff tries really hard and are so energetic and into their job.

I'm not sure what those who say the buffet lack variety are looking for, there are about 30 dishes to each meal. These dishes may be the same often, but you arent going to try all thirty items everyday. We never went hungry.

To sum it up, if you are easy going, and looking for a cozy, friendly environment this is the place for you. If you are looking to be the king or queen of Mexico here, I suggest you go somewhere else.

Room Tip: As for a newly renovated room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Marie D
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Marie,

We really enjoyed to read your review. Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the resort.

We will be glad to receive it again at the Reef Coco Beach

Best Regards
Vernon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

We just got back from a stay at the Reef Coco Beach. We went with 6 friends and had such a great time. I was pleasantly suprised at how nice this resort was because of some previous reviews before we got there ( although I realize there is no pleasing some people). It was a beautiful resort. The front desk people were so helpful the bellboys were great ( hi victor!) and the rooms were big, clean and most of all the beds were actually comfy ( we have stayed in 5 star hotels and they weren't this good ). Even though we love excursions, when we did stay for the day the entertainment staff had us laughing the whole time ( Anderson and Sergio were so much fun ). The food was the best we have had out of all 5 stays in the Mayan Riveria and the waiters were happy to help you and always with a smile. The beach was great, not to many fish or other sea life there but hey, you can't have it all. It was so nice to go to the town within a 10 min walk or walk on the beach to town with lots to see on the way. So in summary, maybe I'm just not that picky of a person or maybe its was just that great but I would definetly recommend this resort without hesitation. To all those who didn't like it, I have this to say Phfff!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank tracycc
Dear Vernon,

Thank you for sharing your experience, we really enjoyed to read your review.
All our staff members at The Reef Coco Beach try everyday to make your vacations unforgettable, Victor, Anderson and Sergio are very happy to receive your greetings and say hello to you from Mexico to Canada. We really hope you will visit us back soon and you will get a lot of fun and leisure!
We really appreciate that you said that you are going to recommend us. We will be very happy to receive your friends and family.
Best regards,
Wilmington, Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Our vacation was strictly a "do nothing" vacation. All we wanted to do was sit, eat, drink, and enjoy the warmth. That was exactly what we got. The resort is nothing grand but it was very clean and comfortable. The beds were very firm but the pillows were awesome. I never came across a rude staff member while I was there. I also always tipped the servers. There were always plenty of beach and pool chairs available. The omelet station in the morning was great. The mexican restaurant on site was great! You do have to pay a $6 cover per person for it but I would consider the food there worth it. The Italian restaurant was OK. I wouldn't wait more than 20 minutes to eat there. I don't know if I would stay there again, but it was definitely the type of low-key vacation we were looking for.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RLH250
Saint John, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here from February 13-20, 2014. We really enjoyed our stay. The first night we got there was a little bit unsettling. The elevator was broken, and it took about 4 flights of stairs, and many confusing directions to get there, but we survived. We checked into a room that was not what we had booked. We booked a king bed, and were given 2 double beds. We sucked it up for one night, and switched rooms the next morning. A bit of a rough start, but nothing major. Our new room was perfect. A main floor room with a king bed. A-1.

The food at the resort was good, but really salty. There was a decent spread at the buffet, but the SAME food was cooked for both lunch and supper so by the end of our trip we had enough. Breakfast was the best, but again...same breakfast foods EVERY MORNING!!

The 1 a la carte that is included was wonderful. It was a really nice break from the repetitive buffet. We ate there the last night we stayed, so I would recommend eating there around the middle of your stay.

The pool area was nice, but we are beach folk so we didn't spend much time there.

The beach was in a great location. There weren't other resorts piled up beside us so it was more private....sort of tucked in its own little cove. In my opinion this was the best feature. On top of being a smaller resort it wasn't surrounded by other resorts so the crowds just weren't there. It was great.

Downfalls:

It's a family resort so there were people who brought their brats. Don't get me wrong I have a daughter of my own, but when you pay a few grand to get away as a couple it's not cool to be surrounded by other people's kids. Next time we will 100% go adult only. Kids do not belong at a resort. Harsh, but that's my opinion. Screaming kids during meals (even at the a la carte) is not ok.

There was next to no entertainment at night unless you're into raves and drunk 20 year olds at Coco Bongo. No thanks.

One of the cafeteria bartenders is very rude, and not sure why, but he didn't like my husband and wouldn't serve him. He would ignore him, and pretend like he didn't see him or just refuse to serve him giving him whatever excuse he could muster up, and send him somewhere else. It was odd because I would go up right after my hubby was refused service, and I had no problems getting what hubby couldn't (for the record my husband was sober, polite, and tipped).

I read a review before I left so I will repeat this great tip. There are WATER COOLERS all over the hotel floors so I recommend re-filling the water bottles that are placed in your room (2 a day...not nearly enough) or bring a re-fill-able container of your own.

The concierge was really annoying at check in trying to get us to make appointments for time shares. Not sure why the hotel allows the CONCIERGE to do this, but don't waste your time talking to them unless you're interested in time shares. She will tell you nothing that you need to know about the actual hotel.

There is no WiFi which is lame, and you have to pay to use the safe in your room. Downfalls, but not deal breakers.

Over all it was a great vacation. We would go back, but would probably take a different approach to the food (eat out or pay at the a la cartes).

Room Tip: I would recommend a main level room, but away from the lobby. The elevators don't work so main f...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,798 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,181 reviews
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa

Been to The Reef Coco Beach? Share your experiences!