“I don't recommend” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Reef Coco Beach

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Reef Coco Beach
Ranked #104 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Kansas City, MO
“I don't recommend”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2008

This was a decent place to stay but I wouldn't stay there again. I didn't mind the boats off of the beach so much but, I didn't care much for the area immedidately around the hotel. It looked like a warzone. The bed was very uncomfortable. The food was average. My biggest compaint was that we had an oceanside room and 2 nights before we were supposed to leave, They had a wedding on the beach. The DJ proceeded to blare the "thump thump" music until after 3 am. I have no problem with people wanting to have a good time but when you have to be up early for a tour, the next morning, it is kinda hard to go to sleep when you have a concert blaring outside my window. I went down on 4 different occasions to ask them to turn it down and my requests were denied. I know that there were children staying in that hotel and I am sure that their parents were not happy. I understnad wanting to have a good time but they could have turned the music down some or they could have moved the speakers away from the rooms. I suggested both of these ideas but neither one was accepted. Needless to say, we only got about 4 hours of sleep that night. We were partially compensated for our trouble but not enough to my satisfaction. I went to Cancun 4 years ago and stayed at the Costa Real. It was about the same price as we paid for the Coco Bay and it was a much better stay. The Coco Bay was decent but I would not stay there again. Did I mention that the beds were super hard and uncomfortable.

• Liked — Not much
  • Disliked — Loud music outside my window until 3 am
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Stu12gage

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2008

My husband and I stayed at coco bay from 9-9 to 9-14. We have a time share with Mayan palace but decided to try something different. I received a fax at my job offering a "deal' to either Cancun or Playa Del Carmen. we chose to stay at Grand CoCo Bay in Playa Del Carmen. We had a great time. It is a 3 star resort. The entertainment staff was great, they are kind and friendly and were great to get to know them. They are part of the evening shows in the theater and each day was a different theme. On our last full day there 9-13. the Theme was "anything goes" I ended up participating in that show and I have never laughted so hard in my entire life. I had a great time it was a blast........

• Liked — The entertainment staff
  • Disliked — smoking in the lobby
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank batosgirl
vancouver, bc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2008

I stayed at the Grand Coco Bay during the last week of August of 2008. We were a group of 9 in our twenties from Vancouver, BC. I as well read a lot of negative reviews and was quite nervous as I was delegated to choose the hotel for our group, but everything turned out fairly well. I am ready to leave a really long and detailed review!

A little background of my travel experience so you can gauge my opinions a little better - I've traveled to Puerto Vallarta 2 summers ago and stayed at the Royal Decameron, a 3.5 star hotel. I've also stayed at a 200square feet space in NYC, and 3-5 star hotels around the world.

Since we were a fairly large group, I booked with grand coco bay because it is a smaller hotel. When I was at the R. Decameron I disliked having to walk for 5mins to get to anywhere. Grand Coco bay was also walkable distance to 5th ave and I wanted to save us the trouble of needing a taxi to get there and back.

We were greeted warmly at the reception and was given wet towels and wine. The lobby won't wow you, and neither will the room. Very average.

Among the 9 of us we got 4 rooms (2 couples, 3 guys and 2 girls) One of the couples got a room with some ants in the bathroom, but was able to switch to another one the next night, however that room had a bit of a leaky a/c. All the other rooms were fine. The 3 guys shared a room and they claimed the cot was too soft and uncomfortable. I found the mattress to be a little too hard for my liking however my friend who likes hard beds really enjoyed it. The a/c is sensor activated, so it goes on and off and doesn't really regulate in a way that would like. If there was one thing that I wish was better it would be the rooms. It just comes off looking kind of old and out of date. The a/c not cold enough during the day, and too cold at night. Oh well, we didn't fly all the way to spend all of our time in our rooms anyway!

In terms of cleanliness, every night and morning we see their staff cleaning everywhere. The maids were also very quick with making our room every morning. (Even when I had forgotten to tip the first night) Since the hotel is somewhat dated, it might give the impression that things are dirty, but in fact everything was clean and none of us encountered any problems. Yes, there were bugs and insects - in fact there was a huge cockroach in our room under the dresser (that we know of!) But what can you expect? It's a hot weathered country, the complex is surrounded by grass, sand and beach, there bound to be critters running about. But it's definitely not because the hotel is dirty and it's not to the point where they are everywhere. That being said I am not a fan of cockroaches, and as a deterrent we always left our bathroom light on. Never know if they decide to pop out from nowhere! There is also a very skinny but shy raccoon that comes out at night.

Some people complained that the staff were rude. I do not agree. They have a lot of work to do and would never finish if they had to stop and say hi to everyone who passes by! Of all the times I initiated a greeting they always smiled and said hi back.

Now the beach! Having been to PV (murky water, dark sand, rough water), I can really appreciate the white sand, blue water kind of beach! The water was generally calm and easy to float in. There are indeed lots of boats in front of the beach, but they don't occupy the entire beach front. In fact if you swim out just a couple meters over to the left of the boats, it's a very very long stretch of open water, so I don't know what people are complaining about? Having to swim a few meters to the left? None of us in our group smelled gasoline either, must be psychological for some people. It is really a gorgeous beach! The pools were fun and a good alternative to the salt water. There were also a couple of hot tubs to wind down in.

We were not expecting to be waited on and in fact enjoyed taking the little short walks to get our own drinks. We brought our own thermo mugs which kept our drinks nice and cool most of the time and reduced the need to refill constantly. Bartenders were nice in general and staff all around don't pressure you into tipping.

As for the restaurants, the a la cart menus were quite nice. We didn't mind the buffet either. They make really good omlettes for breakfast in the morning and the watermelon juice was THE BEST! (that's what I miss the most actually!) Service was always good and prompt. The snack bar was fun! Their tortilla chips were amazing, and their burgers were so soft and delicious... I miss the snack bar!

The entertainment staff on the resort were also really nice. They recognized us easily because we were such a huge group and always tried really hard to engage us, making sure that we were having a good time.

We rented for free, snorkeling equipment (brand new!) from the resort and snorkeled out to the reefs. It was a good experience and prepped us for snorkeling at the Xcaret a few days later. We also rented bikes (free) to ride around the area. My friend and I rode into Playa Del Carmen....but don't do it! We got stopped by the police telling us we were not supposed to bike on 5th ave. So we biked back on 10th ave instead. We were also a huge fan of their ping pong table, we occupied it most of the time.

Playa del carmen IS walkable distance from the hotel. This made it very convenient for our group as there were times when some people wanted to get out for a walk and it was there for us to go to. We walked there and in general found things to be very expensive. They have mostly western chained stores (american apparel, diesel, etc) that are even more expensive than back home so don't expect to be finding deals. We did buy some luchador masks which are quite funny. So we walked most of the way on 5th ave and decided to cab back to the hotel because it was so hot. We were very lucky to have a van stop to pick us up, which fit all of us perfectly. We got to talk with the taxi driver and got a very good price for going to the Chichen Itza, which we ended up going to the next day, and we also called him again to take us to the Xcaret. He was such a nice guy, very trustworthy and brought us to a local liquor store (Covi) to buy tequila (much cheaper than buying from 5th ave) I took his business card so if you want his contact you can message me.

The sports bar at night is a little quiet but we were there almost every night. (we're not clubbers and didn't want to go all the way into Cancun) Most of the time it was occupied mainly by us. Although we did have a lot of fun singing karaoke and drinking shots like silly. The bartender there was such a great guy! He made us crazy drinks.

Some of the entertainment shows at night were quite amazing. They put in a lot of effort and while it's no vegas style type of shows, enough quality to entertain you. I can see how certain ones can come off being cheesy (especially the comedy one!) but hey, have a couple of tequila shots and just enjoy yourself!

Overall it was a great experience! I would say, if you like having a luxurious room, being waited on, and the feeling of being in a grand and new hotel, Grand Coco bay is not for you. But if you want a smaller, more cozy type of hotel with friendly staff, good food, and a great beach (that you can access without a 5min walk or taking a shuttle), for the money it's a great little place. We left a big tip for all the staff on the last day! :D

I would recommend this place to people who can tolerate a very average room, and those who are looking for in-house clubbing/partying. (you'll have to go out of the resort for that!)

• Liked — Friendly Staff, ease of getting to the beach and restaurants
  • Disliked — dated rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
8 Thank stylin_retro
Dallas, tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2008

My Girlfriend and I just returned from the Grand Coco Bay from 08-26-08 to 08-29-2008. What a great trip and hotel. To start this is a 3 star hotel so dont go expecting 5 star service and food. Food was average but definatly worth eating. Service was good but you are not going to waited on hand and food. The resort and beach were absolutely beautiful. Probably one of the nicest beaches I have ever been too. Pool was great and never full, Poolside bar services were great. We never waited on a drink. Probably didnt hurt that we tipped as well as my girlfried is fluent in Spanish. Messages were fantastic beachside. The young crew that handled all the activities were fantastic. I have read a lot of reviews on this resort of people complaining about stuff that to me was ridiculous. You pay for what you get and this place was very inexpensive but was fantastic. We upgraded to an ocean front room which was well worth the little extra we spent. The AC worked but was not like the AC we get at home but why would you expect it being any different in Mexico. If you want freezing cold AC stay at home. If you are looking for a cheap short vacation to a beautiful beach resort and arent looking for 5 star service than this is the place. If you want a great hotel at a great price than I would recommend this Resort. I will definatly come back.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank TexasCaribbean
NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2008

So here it goes:

My boyfriend and I were looking to get away for a few days and just relax and enjoy a great beach and great weather at a minimal cost and that is exactly what we found at Grand Coco Bay.

We booked are pak thru Orbitz (only 1120.00 for the both of us for hotel and airfare) we opted for not all inclusive due to the poor review the food got at this hotel (the food was actually great!)and the fact that we were close to 5th Ave. (we are all of the restaurants/bars/shops are located) We also booked our transportation thru Orbtiz (90 bucks r/t, totally worth it)

RIDE TO THE HOTEL:

Its about 45 mts from the airport, you are on the main hwy and then you make the left hand turn onto where our hotel is located. DONT GET SCARRED!! You do drive thru what may seem like the "hood" but its okay. . . then the hotel is at the end of the strip. Completely secluded from the "hood" (if you been to the caribbean before is not like you never seen before)

ROOMS/HOTEL PREMISES
Rooms are clean and comfy. Great view of the pool area or ocean. They keep the hotel nice and clean 24hrs. The staff is very friendly and hospitable. You ask for something and they deliver.

POOL/BEACH

Both gorgeous. The pool was really relaxing so what the hot tub. The beach was nice and clean. YES THE ARE TONS OF BOATS IN THE WATER AND THE FUMES MAY GET A BIT TOO MUCH BUT ITS NOT THAT BAD!! Take a stroll toward the right of the beach and walk all along the strip to the other side. The good thing about Playa is that the beach is public. The beach walk down is awesome, and the water is much niecer and there are no boats in the area and its not a far walk.

RENTALS ON THE BEACH AT THE HOTEL ARE FREE FOR THE 1ST HR. go kayaking or snorkeling. . . .

FOOD. . .
GO ALL INCLUSIVE!! the food is was great!!! I have no idea why people were complaining about the food. It is not A FIVE STAR HOTEL!! I am a picky eater and the food was fabulous. GREAT bfast. Fresh Fruit!! But if you opt for a la carte, its not expensive either. DRINKS, nicely spiced if you ask.

Also, we did the ROMANTIC DINNER!!! 98 dollars for 2 pp. When I tell you it was breathtaking, on the beach at night, the food was amazing, the service was great!! Nothing like having your own private waiter, while having dinner on the beach, looking at the stars. we had the sirlion stk (and it was juicy and tender) and the shrimp with steak. . . its worth every penny and the experience is unforgettable.

EXCURSIONS. . .
We booked our execursion thru the hotel since we were only there for 4 full days, we did only one execursion a 3 in 1. ATV, SPEED BOAT, SNORKELING, WITH MEALS/DRINKS. must do!!
plus the staff was great and the food was yummy!!!

5TH AVE. . ..

Okay, it is not walking distance from the hotel. Take a cab for 4 bucks! Have the driver drop you off in the middle of 5th ave. You can walk it up and down. The strip is full of restaurants/bars BUT THE STORE OWNERS WILL HASSLE YOU THE ENTIRE TIME YOU ARE THERE!!!! Put your game face ON! And if you want to enjoy the strip ignore the constant sellers harrasing you. Other then for that, 5th ave is really cool!

RESTAURANTS OUTSIDE OF THE HOTEL:

La Casa del Agua, amazing!!!! great food, great service, great atmosphere. seafood is yummy!

El Fagon (its a local spot, when I say local i mean LOCAL) Good food and cheap!!!

WAYS TO SAVE:
There is a Walmart in town, stack up on goodies, especially if you are not all inclusive. The exchange rate varies depending on where you go, therefore, change your money at a local bank. Carry tons of change for tipping (they are big on tips) Check out 5th Ave and bargain on your items. Always have your game face on! BY BOTTLED WATER TONS AND TONS OF IT! ITS REALLY HOT OVER THERE

GRAN COCO BAY IS WHAT WE EXPECTED FOR THE PRICE WE PAID AND I WOULD DEFINITELY STAY THERE AGAIN.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
8 Thank TravelerChas
Toronto Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2008

I had read some of the reviews and was a little concerned. When we arrived at the airport and the guide advised us that it was a time share hotel I was a little worried. When almost everyone on the bus got off at the Princess hotels I was really concerned. MAJOR PROBLEM....IF YOU ARE A BEACH PERSON DO N O T STAY AT THIS HOTEL. The biggest disappointment was the beach... you have about 12-15 feet of water that you can swim in and the rest is surrounded by boats.... There is a marina right in front of the hotel.... the marina has the right to be there. Why is this a problem 1) you can't swim (2) the smell of the diesel fuel is horrible. I didn't fly from Canada to smell pollution; I can stay home for that!
I must also say that the service was awful. I was given the keys to my room at 1pm but the room was not cleaned from the previous guest until 8pm and this was only after six or seven complains to reception. The service in general was weak.
We had a family of seven staying at this resort needless to say we switched hotels to the Princess resort ( it was amazing!!!) The representative from sunwing was very helpful but apparently its quite common for people to switch out of this resort. He was not surprised by our complains!!!
Kathy from Toronto, Ontario
P.S. I've travelled a lot through out Europe and the rest of the Caribbean

• Liked — hotel rooms were nice
  • Disliked — beach and customer service
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank Kathybelle

Travellers are raving about these Playa del Carmen hotels

Markham, Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2008

My family and I just returned from a week vacation to Mexico, Aug 28, 2008. We had planned staying the full week at the Grand Coco Bay on the Mayan Riviera, Playa del Carmen, but decided to make the best of a bad situation and took 2 days away as we visited surrounding Mayan archeological sites. I agree with several of the comments on this site and noticed that at the hotel there was a mixed reaction to the hotel’s service, management, food, beach, bars, entertainment and various other services. Here goes:

BEACH – the beach is one of the best I experienced anywhere I’ve been, the water is clear, turquoise, and does not have many waves, so it’s relatively safe for kids. No lifeguards though. Boats were not a problem for us. Some are diving and tour operators who moored there all week as far as I saw due to low customer numbers.

POOL – I found the pool just OK, its not chlorinated, but there are outdoor showers one can use after leaving the pool and the beach.

SHADE – the heat was stifling at times and there were not enough shades/umbrellas for the number of guests or the number of chairs. This is true for both pool and beach.

TOWELS – not enough towels and I noticed a few smelled of locker-room sweat when we got them “new”. ROOM and

HOTEL – I found the room pleasant to be in, the beds we got were firm, the sheets clean, the towels clean and changed everyday. TV was OK, 4 drinks, 2 waters complimentary at check in, small fridge was good, room locker worked well with minor hiccups, shower and water pressure was good, toilets worked, AC and fan worked well and the room cooled in about 1 hour, no leaks. No loud noises from the construction now, but an eyesore.

FOOD – I agree with the comments that say the food was bland and got old fast. We went all-inclusive so we had access to the buffet. It was small and had about 12 choices per meal, plus drinks, fruit and desserts. I have stayed at 3-star hotels that had three times the food choices and twice the quality (Qualton Club, Ixtapa), and know from experience that Mexican cuisine is much more than what I sampled here. My impression is that the hotel tries to provide meals that reflect some kind of culinary “international flare” that it cannot achieve – for example, what is “Swiss rice”? Still, there were people who appreciated the food.

ENTERTAINMENT – nightly, indoors, ranges from OK to Very Good.

MAJOR PROBLEM – the major difficulty we encountered was a FLEA INFESTATION. I killed 2 fleas on separate instances and showed management the first one. (I had planned bringing the second flea to Canada to show Conquest Vacations, but dropped it at an airport garbage bin due to “importation of insects” regulations... Got some photos, though). The man I spoke to at the reception desk about the fleas actually challenged me on the insect bites, indicating they were mosquito bites and the bug was not a flea! We felt caught in a catch-22 situation – we’ve had 2 miscarriages in a row and are trying to have a baby, so we did not want to be exposed to insecticides. Also, we are aware that Mexico does not have the strict public health regulations we have here in Canada regarding insecticides; plus we knew that moving to another room meant that that room would be sprayed before we got there, so we asked management we did not want to move and requested they not spray for the reasons mentioned above. It sounds strange, but I preferred to kills the fleas by hand as I had already. We later learned from the maid she had sprayed insecticide following our complaint, so we should not have “anymore problems”. I thought she was sincere, but she obviously did not understand our real concern. This brings me to the real problem I have with this hotel: Management. In my experience they are unresponsive, self-interested, and yes, callous. Even after I explained and requested no spraying in front of the Conquest Vacation’s representative, they callously sprayed. I don’t think the maid acted on her own – and I hope if they read this they don’t blame an underpaid and genuinely decent person, as the majority of Mexicans are. I believe this and many other hotels on the Playa del Carmen strip are being squeezed out of the business by the fierce competition, and this is the source of the poor service some of us experience when we encounter difficulties: we hit the bottom line. On my way out of Mexico many other tourists were exchanging their experiences, good and bad, and our situation was a little bit more extreme, but not unique.

OVERALL - this is a beautiful place to visit for its fantastic beaches, beautiful people, jungle, and Mayan history and culture (we climbed a 130 foot pyramid at Coba and are still talking about it). If you do decide to visit the Mayan Riviera and adjacent Mayan archeological ruins do your homework, go prepared, get medical insurance, expect a few unleasant surprises (if you rent a car from Hertz beware the dishonest fat guy who inspects the bumps and scratches on the car – make sure you see his marks on the car diagram before you take the car and after or it will cost you; plus they’ll try to low-ball you by offering a car they don’t have and then when you’re there to sign the papers charging you for the replacement upgrade), don’t drive on the very narrow high-speed state highway to Yucatan archeological sites by night, take plenty of water on trips, go to Cozumel, tip your waiter and maid even if its all-inclusive, learn a bit of Spanish (especially the name of food items) and don’t expect hotel staff to understand English – they get people from ALL over Europe and some staff members speak 3-4 languages apart from Spanish. We will be returning to the Mayan Riviera, but will not be returning to this hotel - its not so grand.

• Stayed August 2008
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#5 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,191 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,352 reviews
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,998 reviews

Been to The Reef Coco Beach? Share your experiences!