“A decent value...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Reef Coco Beach

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Reef Coco Beach
Ranked #104 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
airdrie, alberta
“A decent value...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2008

My wife and I stayed at the GCB the week of Sept 21st, 2008...It is definitely low season and the hotel was virtually empty...since we wanted just R&R that was fine with us...staff was good and took care of everything we needed, food was decent, the pool and beach were great...all in all it met our expectations and the area in general was great...5th ave in playa was a blast and we went down there every night...GCB is probably just barely a 4 star but never the less worth a visit if price is good...

4 Thank lumberguys

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2008

OK, so we just got back from staying at Grand Coco Bay Resort, last Saturday. There was 6 of us, three couples, and we stayed for two weeks. I would have to say after reading others reviews that they are making this hotel out to being a dump which it is not. The hotel is located in kind of a "ghetto" area, but it is only because the area is not developed yet. The hotel grounds were beautiful, the rooms were ok, they could have been a little more kept up but how much time do you really spend in your room?? The boats out in the water in front of the beach was not nearly as bad as people claimed, they were just there, the whole 2 weeks I only smelt fumes 1 day for about 5 minutes. The beach was wonderful, the pool was great! The food was good, there was always variety so you could always find something to eat. The bartenders were great, the lobby bartender Carlos is the best!!!! There was a wedding one saturday night, that was really annoying the music late at night and they closed the disco down to only people for the wedding. There was some construction going on next door, that was pretty annoying you can't really sleep in at all b/c they start working at like 6am. We arrived on Sept. 15 which is Mexico's independence day, I would not suggest to anyone to go to Mexico on that day, it was completly crazy and the hotel was packed with people parting everywhere. This was our 2nd trip to playa, and overall I think our trip was good, and we all had a great time. I would say from my experience in staying at 5 star hotels, this is not a 5 star hotel, but it is a great place to go for the money. If your expecting to come to this hotel and be waited on hand and foot, with rooms with upgrades and high end things this is not the place for you. If you are looking for an low key hotel, to have a good time at, and are not expecting everything to be perfect this is the place for you.

• Liked — The grounds were beautiful
  • Disliked — The Construction going on next door
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
7 Thank seattlelights
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2008

I have been to several resorts in Cancun and the Riviera Maya and must say this is one of my favorites. The property itself is very well kept and has a nice beach. The best part is that it isn't huge therefore you're a short walk from the restaurants, beach, pool, lobby, bars, etc. The staff was excellent from the bartenders to the entertainers. This is only a three star hotel and maybe lacked some of the higher end hotel qualities, but for the price that you pay, it is worth every penny. The location is great also. You are only a $7.00 cab ride from 5th street and all the great clubs and restaurants.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank KCCDallas_TX
minn
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2008

This place was the worst inclusive hotel ive witnessed. really bad food, the place is in constant construction, the air conditioning didn't work in our room, and management did not care at all. finally i had to cancel the rest of my stay there, and find another hotel in cancun, and management charged me full for everything and were extremely rude. BUYER BEWARE!!

• Stayed August 2008
3 Thank hoootenanny

Travellers are raving about these Playa del Carmen hotels

Kansas City, MO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2008

This was a decent place to stay but I wouldn't stay there again. I didn't mind the boats off of the beach so much but, I didn't care much for the area immedidately around the hotel. It looked like a warzone. The bed was very uncomfortable. The food was average. My biggest compaint was that we had an oceanside room and 2 nights before we were supposed to leave, They had a wedding on the beach. The DJ proceeded to blare the "thump thump" music until after 3 am. I have no problem with people wanting to have a good time but when you have to be up early for a tour, the next morning, it is kinda hard to go to sleep when you have a concert blaring outside my window. I went down on 4 different occasions to ask them to turn it down and my requests were denied. I know that there were children staying in that hotel and I am sure that their parents were not happy. I understnad wanting to have a good time but they could have turned the music down some or they could have moved the speakers away from the rooms. I suggested both of these ideas but neither one was accepted. Needless to say, we only got about 4 hours of sleep that night. We were partially compensated for our trouble but not enough to my satisfaction. I went to Cancun 4 years ago and stayed at the Costa Real. It was about the same price as we paid for the Coco Bay and it was a much better stay. The Coco Bay was decent but I would not stay there again. Did I mention that the beds were super hard and uncomfortable.

• Liked — Not much
  • Disliked — Loud music outside my window until 3 am
5 Thank Stu12gage
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2008

My husband and I stayed at coco bay from 9-9 to 9-14. We have a time share with Mayan palace but decided to try something different. I received a fax at my job offering a "deal' to either Cancun or Playa Del Carmen. we chose to stay at Grand CoCo Bay in Playa Del Carmen. We had a great time. It is a 3 star resort. The entertainment staff was great, they are kind and friendly and were great to get to know them. They are part of the evening shows in the theater and each day was a different theme. On our last full day there 9-13. the Theme was "anything goes" I ended up participating in that show and I have never laughted so hard in my entire life. I had a great time it was a blast........

• Liked — The entertainment staff
  • Disliked — smoking in the lobby
4 Thank batosgirl
vancouver, bc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2008

I stayed at the Grand Coco Bay during the last week of August of 2008. We were a group of 9 in our twenties from Vancouver, BC. I as well read a lot of negative reviews and was quite nervous as I was delegated to choose the hotel for our group, but everything turned out fairly well. I am ready to leave a really long and detailed review!

A little background of my travel experience so you can gauge my opinions a little better - I've traveled to Puerto Vallarta 2 summers ago and stayed at the Royal Decameron, a 3.5 star hotel. I've also stayed at a 200square feet space in NYC, and 3-5 star hotels around the world.

Since we were a fairly large group, I booked with grand coco bay because it is a smaller hotel. When I was at the R. Decameron I disliked having to walk for 5mins to get to anywhere. Grand Coco bay was also walkable distance to 5th ave and I wanted to save us the trouble of needing a taxi to get there and back.

We were greeted warmly at the reception and was given wet towels and wine. The lobby won't wow you, and neither will the room. Very average.

Among the 9 of us we got 4 rooms (2 couples, 3 guys and 2 girls) One of the couples got a room with some ants in the bathroom, but was able to switch to another one the next night, however that room had a bit of a leaky a/c. All the other rooms were fine. The 3 guys shared a room and they claimed the cot was too soft and uncomfortable. I found the mattress to be a little too hard for my liking however my friend who likes hard beds really enjoyed it. The a/c is sensor activated, so it goes on and off and doesn't really regulate in a way that would like. If there was one thing that I wish was better it would be the rooms. It just comes off looking kind of old and out of date. The a/c not cold enough during the day, and too cold at night. Oh well, we didn't fly all the way to spend all of our time in our rooms anyway!

In terms of cleanliness, every night and morning we see their staff cleaning everywhere. The maids were also very quick with making our room every morning. (Even when I had forgotten to tip the first night) Since the hotel is somewhat dated, it might give the impression that things are dirty, but in fact everything was clean and none of us encountered any problems. Yes, there were bugs and insects - in fact there was a huge cockroach in our room under the dresser (that we know of!) But what can you expect? It's a hot weathered country, the complex is surrounded by grass, sand and beach, there bound to be critters running about. But it's definitely not because the hotel is dirty and it's not to the point where they are everywhere. That being said I am not a fan of cockroaches, and as a deterrent we always left our bathroom light on. Never know if they decide to pop out from nowhere! There is also a very skinny but shy raccoon that comes out at night.

Some people complained that the staff were rude. I do not agree. They have a lot of work to do and would never finish if they had to stop and say hi to everyone who passes by! Of all the times I initiated a greeting they always smiled and said hi back.

Now the beach! Having been to PV (murky water, dark sand, rough water), I can really appreciate the white sand, blue water kind of beach! The water was generally calm and easy to float in. There are indeed lots of boats in front of the beach, but they don't occupy the entire beach front. In fact if you swim out just a couple meters over to the left of the boats, it's a very very long stretch of open water, so I don't know what people are complaining about? Having to swim a few meters to the left? None of us in our group smelled gasoline either, must be psychological for some people. It is really a gorgeous beach! The pools were fun and a good alternative to the salt water. There were also a couple of hot tubs to wind down in.

We were not expecting to be waited on and in fact enjoyed taking the little short walks to get our own drinks. We brought our own thermo mugs which kept our drinks nice and cool most of the time and reduced the need to refill constantly. Bartenders were nice in general and staff all around don't pressure you into tipping.

As for the restaurants, the a la cart menus were quite nice. We didn't mind the buffet either. They make really good omlettes for breakfast in the morning and the watermelon juice was THE BEST! (that's what I miss the most actually!) Service was always good and prompt. The snack bar was fun! Their tortilla chips were amazing, and their burgers were so soft and delicious... I miss the snack bar!

The entertainment staff on the resort were also really nice. They recognized us easily because we were such a huge group and always tried really hard to engage us, making sure that we were having a good time.

We rented for free, snorkeling equipment (brand new!) from the resort and snorkeled out to the reefs. It was a good experience and prepped us for snorkeling at the Xcaret a few days later. We also rented bikes (free) to ride around the area. My friend and I rode into Playa Del Carmen....but don't do it! We got stopped by the police telling us we were not supposed to bike on 5th ave. So we biked back on 10th ave instead. We were also a huge fan of their ping pong table, we occupied it most of the time.

Playa del carmen IS walkable distance from the hotel. This made it very convenient for our group as there were times when some people wanted to get out for a walk and it was there for us to go to. We walked there and in general found things to be very expensive. They have mostly western chained stores (american apparel, diesel, etc) that are even more expensive than back home so don't expect to be finding deals. We did buy some luchador masks which are quite funny. So we walked most of the way on 5th ave and decided to cab back to the hotel because it was so hot. We were very lucky to have a van stop to pick us up, which fit all of us perfectly. We got to talk with the taxi driver and got a very good price for going to the Chichen Itza, which we ended up going to the next day, and we also called him again to take us to the Xcaret. He was such a nice guy, very trustworthy and brought us to a local liquor store (Covi) to buy tequila (much cheaper than buying from 5th ave) I took his business card so if you want his contact you can message me.

The sports bar at night is a little quiet but we were there almost every night. (we're not clubbers and didn't want to go all the way into Cancun) Most of the time it was occupied mainly by us. Although we did have a lot of fun singing karaoke and drinking shots like silly. The bartender there was such a great guy! He made us crazy drinks.

Some of the entertainment shows at night were quite amazing. They put in a lot of effort and while it's no vegas style type of shows, enough quality to entertain you. I can see how certain ones can come off being cheesy (especially the comedy one!) but hey, have a couple of tequila shots and just enjoy yourself!

Overall it was a great experience! I would say, if you like having a luxurious room, being waited on, and the feeling of being in a grand and new hotel, Grand Coco bay is not for you. But if you want a smaller, more cozy type of hotel with friendly staff, good food, and a great beach (that you can access without a 5min walk or taking a shuttle), for the money it's a great little place. We left a big tip for all the staff on the last day! :D

I would recommend this place to people who can tolerate a very average room, and those who are looking for in-house clubbing/partying. (you'll have to go out of the resort for that!)

• Liked — Friendly Staff, ease of getting to the beach and restaurants
  • Disliked — dated rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#5 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,191 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,353 reviews
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,000 reviews

Been to The Reef Coco Beach? Share your experiences!