This is a smaller resort, but quite nice.
Service: The shuttle picked us up at the airport and took us straight to the hotel, no other stops, which was very nice and quick. The lobby staff was quick and efficient. We found the buffet staff rather cool. There was only one girl who smiled and made us feel welcome. The a la carte staff were very professional. There were people who were trying to get us to go to their sister resort for the first 2 days. They were annoying, but they left us alone once we made it clear we were not interested.
Value: This is a nice resort, but I feel that we could have gotten a lot nicer for the same price. There are a few things that I felt could have been better, so that is why I could not give it an excellent rating. You have to pay for the safe. Some of the a la carte items were extras and very expensive.
Sleep Quality: Awful! We had a room that was over the lobby bar. I had to wear ear plugs every night. We should have requested a different room. My bad...
Cleanliness: The facilities were very clean. I did have to tell the staff to pay more attention to the ladies bathroom in the pool area, as it was beginning to smell bad from the waste baskets not being emptied in a timely manner and many ladies do not flush their paper. They did call someone right away to take care of it.
Location: about a 10-15 minute walk to Fifth Avenue in Playa del Carmen (the shopping district) but is far enough away that it is quiet and not bothered with street vendors. Although it is right on the water, the beach is almost non-existent. From the pool area you enter a small sandy area with lounge chairs. These lounge chairs are roped off, as you have to go down a few steps which place you are right in the water.
The pool is very nice and the activities people do their best; however, the small amount of people do not always translate to a full set of teams for water volleyball.
Rooms: very large. Nice balconies sheltered by palm trees so no one could see in even if you left the drapes open.
The beverage selection was very good and good bartenders.
Food: The food was good. There was not as huge a selection as from larger resorts, but we did not have to make a reservation at the a la cartes. The Italian was free, the Mexican was $6 US per plate. Watch out for the "extras" that are not included. The lobster was $60.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 30 miles south of Cancun, The Reef Cococbeach is the perfect compliment to the white sandy beaches and turquoise waters of this world renowned tropical paradise. Just a short walk from the picturesque town of Playa del Carmen, you will enjoy our personalized service, the privacy you desire in a resort destination and the entertainment of one of the best night life's the Mayan Riviera has to offer.Our location provides easy access to the many attractions the Mayan Riviera has to offer such as Playa del Carmen's famous 5th avenue, Playacar's Bird Sanctuary, Playacar Golf Club, Xcaret, Xel-Ha, Tulum and much, much more.The hotel offers 196 comfortable rooms Caribbean style, our pleasant rooms consist of one king size bed or two double beds, terrace or balcony, air conditioning, ceiling fan, mini fridge, TV,hair dryer, vanity mirror, telephone and bath room with bahttub and shower combination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your The Reef Coco Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Coco Bay Mexico
- Grand Coco Bay Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Coco Bay Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Coco Bay Riviera Maya
- The Reef Coco Beach Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen