“Yes”

Ranked #103 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Linden
“Yes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Came for a girls getaway and the first person we met was kerina ferrer she was a sweetheart she made sure the problem that I had with Expedia was resolved .. And I cnt forget Luis E from the buffet .. 2 GREAT Ppl!' I would return because these 2 ppl made sure we wanted for NOTHING!

• Stayed June 2014
7 Thank RahRahL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Rowlett, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Old and outdated. Before you unpack, check air, ceiling fan and water. After we moved to another room we were fine. If you are a large family don't expect to get joining rooms. the stay on the 4th floor was pretty but the elevator does not go that high. Constant maintenance was an eyesore. Staff is friendly, buffet was boring after a few days, make sure you go do dinner on 5th street. Shows were good. Daytime pool entertainment was fun! TEQUILA water volleyball - Hilarious. I enjoyed the stay. I booked this place because for a family of 6, I needed to save money. It's ok for what you pay for but I will book a little nicer place next time.

Room Tip: my dad stayed in unit 2409, problem there is not an elevator that goes that high. They had to do sta...
4 Thank ktuttle99
Fairburn, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed for four days. Nice quiet spot with beach front views. The room & hotel were always kept clean. The food, drinks and entertainment was good. My only criticism is that the staff didn't seem prepared for a hotel of its size & the mattress was hard.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AstridIVa
ManagementGCB, Manager at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear AstridlVa,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your vacation at our resort.
We are very happy with your nice comments the location and the cleanliness.
We would like to know why you think the staff is not prepared for the size of the hotel and we hope you can write us an email. Our objective is to provide better service every day.
If you plan on coming back let us know… we have a special offers for all our returning guests.

Warmest regards
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I read all the reviews and did lots of research before choosing this resort and most reviews where on point. The resort is nice but not the best on the strip I personally chose it because of the cheap price and the water looked better than other resorts, so I wasn’t expecting anything fancy. This resort is great for those who want a low key and cheap place to stay, not a resort to hangout. Also the popular 5th street is only 3 blocks away I would recommend walking during the day but at night you should taxi its only 5 bucks. One thing that bothered me was the ongoing construction kills the relaxing beach vibe but it doesn’t go on all day and if you sit away from it not that bad.
Food: The food was horrible, breakfast and lunch I would be the best times to eat because dinner didn’t have much of selection. I would recommend going into town they have some lots of places to eat for different price points.

Rooms: Upgraded room was really nice but the walls are paper thin and the shower leaks water so I got charged for a towel because we used it for the leak. Tip your maid and your room will be taken care of.
Beach: Is one of the best on the strip the comments about being a small beach are silly because there is plenty of beach.

Con being locked out of my room by reception:
I will say be careful when using expedia because they are only the middle man in this transaction. When booking the room the deposit was never processed this caused confusion with the front desk after check in. When I arrived I was only charged for my room upgrade and the next day when walking through the lobby I was told my room had not been paid for. So I tried to access the expedia site from the hotels computer but was unable to login even after logging on almost every day before the trip. I kept getting redirected the Mexico expedia site and I do not speak spanish. So when I found a number for expedia with they told me they couldnt help me that I should just pay. So I did just that because after an hour of dealing with this I was ready to move on but I was locked out of my room by the front desk assistant. I found this to be a bit terrifying because all my money and identification was locked away in the safe. So be careful because they will lock you out of your room if they feel like it.

Room Tip: Upgrade the new rooms are nicer
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank wonderlust_fun
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I don't know where to even start with this review. Our stay was THAT bad. However, I will start with the PROS: you can't beat the location. It is close (like 30-40 minutes) from several water parks and it is also close to fifth street, which is a cute little downtown in Playa Del Carmen. Besides that, I would not recommend this place to anyone. The staff is somewhat friendly and accommodating. For example, we were sitting outside on the patio and a huge coconut fell on the table next to us, almost hitting a guest on the head. The family was freaking out. At that same time, a manager was walking by our table and looked the other way. He didn't stop to ask if everyone was ok or any sort of reassurance. I will just list the problems I had as to shorten the length of this review:

1. The shower head fell on my head the first night in our room. I told the front desk and they laughed.
2. The beds are ridiculously hard. Like floor hard. If you have a bad back, stay away!
3. The pool furniture is disgusting. I don't think it's ever been washed or clean. They all had bird poop or other sorts of stains. And not just one or two stains but I mean the entire seat/bed.
4.They have a snack portion as part of the resort and only one cook. You can imagine the line for a piece of pizza.
5. Our door latch did not work. We had to wait for the repair man to come and fix it.
6. The food is pretty gross too. It's all inclusive but we ended up eating out.
7. They try to get you to do a 90 minute time share presentation as soon as you check in. They are very persistent.

In the end, the manager ended up apologizing to us and gave us a partial refund. He was willing to give us a "better" room but we ended up running for the hills. In the midst of all this chaos and wasted time at the front desk, we had asked to speak to the manager several times. Each time it was denied. The front desk person seemed terrified of having us speak to him. Overall, this place needs to shut down and be completely remodeled. Stay away!

7 Thank Margie P

Travellers are raving about these Playa del Carmen hotels

San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Our group arrived at about 11 am from Merida. Our plan was to check in and go to Xcaret. Xcaret was great. Upon returning no rooms had been reserved even though our reservations were prepaid our luggage was left unsecured in the lobby. We were tired so we wanted to go to our rooms. The hotel is under construction some elevators don't work. Initially they placed me in 2401 with no access to an elevator and hallway lights out. I went down to reception 3 times. I refused to accept the room. I was told by the security/bellboy that maybe tomorrow I could get another room. I was given another room on the first floor with no view but better access to amenities which seem so restrictive that I had minimal use. Most bars close early and only a snack bar from 10-12am with condiments so out of reach that you have to be about 6ft tall to reach them.Other people in my group told me that there was hair in their bathtub and there werre curtain left as if the room was being used for storage Enough said, I would not return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Alex B
ManagementGCB, Manager at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Alex B,

Thank you for writing your review regarding your vacation at our resort.

We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with your reservation. Please provide us with your name and arrival date and we will be able to check with the front desk and the reservation department what happened. Please contact us directly, so we can see what solution we can give you.

Actually the only area under construction at the hotel is our new lounge bar on the beach this is with the finality to can offer to our guest the best possible. This will be ready by…. Is not causing any inconveniences for the clients anymore, because the loud work is done. It is just finishing the details.

The problem about the bars we have the sport bar that close until 2 A.M at the same time the snack bar. This Bar is upstairs next to the Italian a la carte Restaurant.

Thank you to let us know, We are very sorry we were not able to meet your expectations. We hope you will contact us personally and we wish you happy future travels.

Kind regards,
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

We arrived yesterday and with the several bad reviews we were a bit worried.

We were blessed to be received by an amazing KARINA FERRER. She has a wonderful personality and willingness to go beyond. I have to say not everyone here has the same attitude. They are lucky to have her.

What you should know
-hard to find if you are driving. Take 307 to Playa del Carmen to 46th. Ave - which signs show as CTM Ave. You will see a sign that shows The Reef - do not turn there - continue past the bridge overpass and look for CTM. It makes you think you should turn right - dont - its left all the way and then when you dead end you have to loop around to the left to access the front area of it. If you do take a right on CTM - you will find the walmart that sells just about everything- Even alcohol.
-safety deposit box is 2.5 a day extra - but we could opt out
-internet in a packaged deal is 7 a day for three devices - we were only able to get one on and are working to get this fixed now - but signal is strong.
-pool nice and large
-view to reef is blocked by MANY boats - my husband says its quaint - I think its an eye sour
-show last night was sweet - better than I would have thought
-we did not have trouble (at least so foar) in getting served the unlimited drinks.
-room comes stocked with 6 sodas and water every day.
-you get a card per person for blue beach towels - if you lose the card or towel its $35 so be careful

Rooms are OK. Towels worn. Breakfast good, Mexican upcharge

Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,794 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,181 reviews
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa

Been to The Reef Coco Beach? Share your experiences!