The Reef Coco Beach
Panama Jack Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$241
US$235
Bookit.com
  • Pool
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$423
US$320
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$397
Agoda.com
US$605
US$589
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$271
Melia.com
US$1,001
US$536
  • Breakfast included
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,474
US$1,080
US$453
US$439
4,290 results
All reviewsboats anchoreditalian restaurantsmall resortlobby barentertainment staffnachoscab ridepool viewrecommend this resortall inclusive resortfifth avenueglass of champagnesister resortspecialty restaurantsnight lifea great vacationplenty of chairs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We booked our girls getaway through Groupon for The Reef Coco Beach. Knowing it was through Groupon I didn't expect excellent service or goods but I expected average at best. Our initial hotel room was very outdated and musty. We were upgraded to a suite after my friend sat through a six-hour timeshare meeting where she did end up purchasing the timeshare. My first warning - beware of the timeshare push. If you can say no and waste two hours do it for the $100. If you can't put your foot down or don't have a lot of time pass!

We had to ask multiple times for extra towels and coffee. The service was poor and I was surprised, I have traveled to Mexico many times and the service is always amazing. Not at this resort. I felt like a burden calling down over and over.

The worst was the food. I had read some reviews on The Reef Coco Beach and people said the food was ok. Let me tell you I love food and I'm really not picky, I will eat junky hot dogs from 7/11. The food was inedible. I literally lost four pounds while at this resort. The buffet is American and so not good. A lot of it scared me that I would get food poisoning. There is a Mexican restaurant that you can eat at for an extra $6.00. Pay the $6.00, it is well worth it, but it's only open for dinner.

I would really recommend not staying at this resort. It was not awesome.

Room Tip: Try to get a suite
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Raych41
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was our third and last stay at this hotel. We booked 4 rooms through hoteltravel.com. It was meant to be a family affair and turned out to be a headache affair. Knowing that unfortunately in my country (México) is hard to honor reservations, we visited the hotel one week before the reservation was due as booked and prepaid. We discussed our reservations and needs with what we think was the front desk manager (Javier?). He promised to do his best to have the rooms either adjacent or as close to each other as possible. We paid an extra fee since we booked a "Superior" level room (physically challenged facilities) for an elderly person. Everything was apparently taken care until our arrival date. The guards at the entrance asked me "where are you going?" I saw myself in my car´s rear view mirror thinking that I looked like a "mugger", but I sure wasn´t. Why was he so rude? I had to show him all the paperwork showing we were booked to stay there. Surprise!!! No empty spaces in the hotel parking area. Everyone was parking across the street in an empty lot full of sand and dust, then cross the street to check-in. Upon checking in we tried talking again with the front desk person and he kind of slipped away from the desk. I knew right there and then something wrong was going on. We got our room, our family got their room and another "Surprise" no "Superior" room for no one. No close together rooms, no amenities available as offered for the "Superior" room. No one seemed to know nothing about it. There was our "Superior" room offer sitting in the bottom of the trash can.
This hotel used to have the best Italian food in the whole city. Nowadays, this restaurant leaves a lot to be desired. Food was bland, cool/warm, slow service,... I mean SLOW service and no AC (what happened? Such a nice restaurant going down?) no explanation given. The whole all-inclusive program really is going down the tubes. How can a hotel go down so fast in one year?
To close this review, we were disturbed the night before our departure by the guests above our room. It was 11:45 p.m and we could hear furniture moving from one side to the other, ball bouncing, laughs, slamming doors, etc. We called the desk asking for help, and it took more than one hour to get a response from the neighbors above. Next morning, upon checking-out. We complained about the noise the night before and a front desk girl simply smiled and said "Oh, that must have been the people from last night wedding". Should I give for granted that such is life in the Tropics? Sure enough the hotel had organized a wedding and it was noisy. Ah, last but not least, one of our family members booked his room in London through Expedia and upon checking-out he had to pay again, since the hotel was not showing such room prepaid. A total mess we will and are not ready to go through it again. Good Luck for all of you booking this hotel.

Room Tip: No tips. No matter what you try the honest way, $50.00 US folded in your hand will get you places.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank HectorRodriguez
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I will attempt to be as fair and accurate as I can. I have concerns, however, this resort also has positives.
The room - all rooms face the pool, with the exception of approx 10 rooms that actually face the ocean. We were asked at reception if we wanted to "upgrade" when we were checking in. Upon seeing the room we declined, other than the view it's the same finish. The maid service was good, indeed all the staff are hardworking (shout outs to David, Milton and Sara).
Pool area & amenities - the pool is always warm (the sun is on it all day). It's clean and we saw several checks on chlorination being completed during our week stay. The are activities for every member of a family. However, note, this is small resort small children and teens are going to get bored here. There is also a bar with a foosball and pool table, however, it's little used or known about by the guests. Kayaks are available for 1 hr, no sailing, and scuba is also offered for $. At night there is a show or some entertainment scheduled at approx 8pm in the theatre room. This room is air-conditioned. Wifi is $15 per day, this should be free. $17.50 for the safe for a week.
The food - this is where it is bad. We only ate the buffet once and then avoided it after. Was sick the first night. The Italian and Mexican restaurants are "ok". $6 per person for the Mexican, just to get in. Both a la carte have "premium" plates available for additional $. Better to head into 5th avenue and eat off the Main Street. Note, 5th avenue is extremely commercial - avoid shopping or eating on the main road and get off on the side roads where the prices are 4 times cheaper. Read my review of 5th avenue for more information.
The drinks - are ok, ensure to tip the server and you'll be set right. There is also a "premium" drinks menu available with a different bracelet at a cost of $19 per person, per day.
The beach - is elevated and private. However, leads onto a narrow sandy beach down some steps. There are 8 daybeds on the elevated beach. Book the use of these beds from reception early on the morning of use. The beds are free to use :), however, you'll need to wake up by 6:30am to book them. The beach is clean, construction was occurring during our stay with 2 new piers. Not sure how this will enhance the property. There are enough loungers for the size of the property and # of guest! both at the beach and pool. If you need shade though, make sure to leave your towel early.
5th Avenue - is a 10-15 walk away. $5 by taxi, $7 to get back. It's way too commercial, recommend not to buy on this road. You will be hassled by the shop owners and they do get aggressive and offensive when you decline or do not buy. There are lots of shops and plenty of restaurants - for all price ranges and appetites. We went to a Mexican on 5th it cost $45US for 2 ppl, with drinks. We went to 30th avenue (Dona Marie) several days later and it cost $10US to everything! We also went to a Argentinian Steakhouse (because the steaks were so good), the meal was $60US.
Overall this resort is average. You get what you pay for. Avoid the food, enjoy the hardworking staff and beach. There's a local Cetone about 30min walk along the beach that again no-one talks about. Go find it and enjoy the cold refreshing dip in the lagoon - it's great.

Room Tip: All rooms face the pool, with the exception of about 10 that face the ocean.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Amar S
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Let me say that all inclusive does NOT mean 'all inclusive'. Internet costs $49 a week (or $15 a day). Taxi charge $5 if they call them (even though you can see the taxi outside the gate) they charged me for the concierge phoning about my courtise bus to the airport. And lastly if you want to eat in the on-site (all inclusive) Mexican restaurant it costs $6.5 per person. It's just money after money. The staff are very friendly , it's the admin and the money governed rules that spoil it.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank LesterC68
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed our stay overall.

Highlights, small resort (but it had all the emmenties you would want). Pool was great. Friendly staff. Good food. Room was clean and good for our family.

Areas to be aware, beach was nice, but their were a lot of boats right in front of the resort about , which ruined the view a bit, that being said if you go to the left or right of the resort the view of cozomel in the distance to the right and open Ocean to the left were breath taking. Thought it was odd that there was a sur charge for one of the alacarte restaurants. Internet for the week was expensive at 45$.

Also, booked with sunwing and won't again. The flight going home was delayed first by 4 hrs then 1 hr and then again by 1 hr with no explanation. We were supposed to fly out at 8 and didn't fly till after 1 am (not fun with a 6 yr old and 1 year old). Also, they lost part of our luggage and the customer service through it all was lacking.

We would stay again but through a different service.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family