What a Title?, but that is exactly what I mean! Sure there are downsides, like Wi-Fi not being free, limited (like almost none) pre-mixed salad offerings, and only conventional fruit on the buffet, but whatever floats your boat.
As soon as you walk out of the Front Office Bldg., you enter a mangrove forest. Your room is in one of the buildings they erected without destroying the eco-system. Besides the lizards and birds, there are also Agouti and Coatimundy around the grounds.
On the other side of the jungle are the pools and restaurants, and then the cabanas, umbrellas, sand and sea. Cozumel Island lies on the horizon, and I think that barrier island helps control the beach water for this part of the coast. We have stayed in Cancun and you cannot get in the water safely as there is always a rip tide effect, even when they don't display the Red Flags. Not so at this resort and in this area. There were no flags up or down the beach. My wife enjoyed the peacefulness of it. I managed to get a little body-surfing in, but it was only for about 20' max as the waves were so small. The beach is very deep. There must have been 6 or more rows of umbrellas lined up at least 15 across.
We tried the Specialty Restaurants and the food was good, but you end up spending the whole evening on just finishing the meal. There is a lot of dead time between everything. If you drink, you could be drunk before your entree arrives. They are very strict on their dress code - NO SANDALS for men. Shorts were accepted even though I had been told long pants only.
The Buffet restaurant's offerings are just as good and you serve yourself, so time is your own responsibility, and sandals are good enough for everyone.
The wait-staff help any way they can. All the staff are courteous and helpful. Of course, they know they can get more $ for being so. The wait-staff and bartenders were exceptional. We chose one waiter, Isidoro, who took care of us for breakfast and lunch, and gave him a Trip Advisor pin. All the staff were familiar with Trip Advisor.
We went Premium and got the gold colored wrist bands. I really didn't see that it made that much of a difference. From what I personally saw, the bartenders at the Premium bar never hesitated to serve any color wrist band, and the completed drinks were made exactly the same regardless. I did not see any big difference in rooms either. My wife just reminded me that there was an added charge to go to the Specialty Restaurants without the gold band.
Kayaks and twin-hulled-sailboats were free to use by all guests. Just sign them out for a half hour and have fun. There were other beach services available at cost.
The Buffet set out a coffee service by 6am, for us early risers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 30 miles south of Cancun, The Reef Cococbeach is the perfect compliment to the white sandy beaches and turquoise waters of this world renowned tropical paradise. Just a short walk from the picturesque town of Playa del Carmen, you will enjoy our personalized service, the privacy you desire in a resort destination and the entertainment of one of the best night life's the Mayan Riviera has to offer.Our location provides easy access to the many attractions the Mayan Riviera has to offer such as Playa del Carmen's famous 5th avenue, Playacar's Bird Sanctuary, Playacar Golf Club, Xcaret, Xel-Ha, Tulum and much, much more.The hotel offers 196 comfortable rooms Caribbean style, our pleasant rooms consist of one king size bed or two double beds, terrace or balcony, air conditioning, ceiling fan, mini fridge, TV,hair dryer, vanity mirror, telephone and bath room with bahttub and shower combination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your The Reef Coco Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Coco Bay Mexico
- Grand Coco Bay Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Coco Bay Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Coco Bay Riviera Maya
- The Reef Coco Beach Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen