“Excellent Little Gem!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #104 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Houston, Texas
“Excellent Little Gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Like many of you my wife and I were a little scared coming in, boy were we wrong, let me begin by saying that in this same week we stayed 3 nights here and 2 nights in a more expensive hotel in cancun, this one was very peaceful and had party in the night lounge/bar area if you want it. If you are looking for a party you can make it anywhere you go like my wife and I do. We don't need nobody to make the party for us...This place has a sense of relaxation and calmness and at the same time you can eat all u want at the times posted and drink all u want according to what they do serve. It was very good. Romantic yes. As soon as we checked in we were received with champagne on hand, followed by some strawberry margaritas! the other more expensive hotel in cancun did not do this. Food Choice was good, this hotel did a good job at giving different options of food, we did not try the mexican dinner, but we did do the italian dinner, with lots of red wine. We followed this by going to the sports/lounge/bar next door, the music was to out liking, salsa and bachata! we danced right there and got the night rolling, it's amazing the effect 2 people can have on others causing others to follow and get into the music. Yes the beach is small, but we loved that feature about it, in cancun the beach waves of the most expensive hotel were almost drowning me, so pick carefully..The chill vibe at this hotel is right on, that is why i cannot give this place a bad review, this hotel is not trying to be a 5 star resort, it is excellent for what it is. I opted to not do the in room safe, instead i got my own luggage locks and split up my valuables between my wife's and my luggage placing them on high in the closet. No Issues whatsoever...They gave us a bottle of wine which traveled with us to H-Town!! On our first night they had the swan towel formations with rose petals on the bed and in the bath tub...IF THAT IS NOT ROMANTIC THEN WHAT IS!! This blew my wife away she was happy and delighted. The swim up bar is very laid back and cool, you can sit back and enjoy your stay here seriously...if you are looking to be right at the front door of the Nightlife then this is not for you..If you want crazy techno all in your ears then this place is not for you. I will return to do this place because the price and relaxation that one can have at the reef coco beach is wonderful...hope to see you again Reef Coco Beach!
-one little hiccup on arrival our door card reader was not working, we didn't care, we talked to the guys fixing it, and put our trust in them, we left all our belongings in the room, we just took our money and cameras with us and returned 4 hours later and it was working..sometimes you just have to trust people and go with the ocean flow, don't fight it! *nothing was missing from our room*

Room Tip: be nice to the hotel staff, say you are on your honeymoon!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Alf M
ManagementGCB, Manager at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Mr. Alf M,

Thank you so much for your great comment about our resort. We are very happy, that we were able to meet your expectations and that you really enjoyed your romantic vacation here. It´s a pleasure to hear that you liked our calm and relaxing atmosphere, our huge variety of food and beverages and our friendly staff.
We really appreciate your nice words about our hotel and would be very happy to welcome you here once more.
We also have special gifts for all our returning guest, so if you decide to come back to visit us, please contact us directly.

Warmest regards,

Guest Service Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Youngstown, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stayed at the Reef Coco Beach several years ago and decide to give it another try. The main reason was it's location. It is within walking distance to Playa Del Carmen.
The resort isn't large but well worth the price.
The staff was very friendly and helpful.
The rooms were very clean and well maintained.
There is a nice pool with plenty of lounges.
The food was average but can't complain.
If you are looking for a large beach this isn't the place for you. Very small swimming area.
Overall the resort was quiet and not loud music at the pool area.
I would return again for a quick get away.

Room Tip: all rooms have a balcony and somewhat of a view.
5 Thank beezer20
Dear Beezer20,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this nice comment of your vacation in our resort. We are very pleased to hear that you had a wonderful time here at The Reef Coco Beach. We really appreciate your stunning comments about our friendly and helpful staff, our perfect location next to the 5a Avenida and about our beautiful pool area.
We also have special offers for all our returning guest, so if you decide to come back to visit us any time please contact us directly!
We would be very happy to welcome you here once again.

Warmest regards,

Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

As the title says, I have read review after review after review and looked at picture after picture of this property & still ended up surprised. Not in a good way either. As a couple of twenty somethings who were just in Playa Del Carmen on a budget last year, believe me when I say that we knew what to expect & were not expecting the Hilton or anything of the sort, AKA we are not overly anal and generally not very picky.... But with that said, I'll start with the GOOD things.

- Location.
Location was key. Couldn't have asked for better. A nice 10 minute walk to 5th Avenue. Was perfect for us.

-You will save money.
We generally tip for absolutely every thing/service (that was worthy). Didn't have to worry about that this trip! (Read with a slight hint of sarcasm)

- Rooms were clean and cozy...
But....I'll touch on the "but part" when I get to the BAD things (Only minor things to complain about though, don't worry)

- The A La Carte restaurants.
Yes, it's rather absurd that we had to pay $6 USD to eat at the Mexican restaurant... But at the end of the day, it was WELL worth it. The service at both the Italian & Mexican restaurants were great(Which is HUGE, you'll read why later on). The portions at the Italian restaurant were small, as in; we each ordered a plate of pasta PLUS an additional "main meal". Still VERY good though.

- Check in & Check out were quick and efficient.
Even though we weren't given (or offered) a welcome drink. We didn't care about that, but I've seen people here complain about less.

- The pool & animation crew were great. No complaints.

- The grounds and property were well kept

- The turtles in the lobby were cute.

That's all for the Good. Now for the fun-butreallynotsofun-part; The BAD. The howtheheckisitpossibleforthemtobethatbad bad.

- The beach!!!!
Listen, we knew that the beach is "small". That's a HUGE understatement. The beach itself is virtually non existent and was painful to look at. As for the actual swimming area...There is a pier to the left and then you have this TINY enclosed area of water with this weird and hideous floating rope/tube/mesh thing that acts as a boundary to the right. In the water, there are pipes and more ropes just sort of laying around.. The boats so close offshore didn't bother us visually, but the smell of gas was quite overwhelming. We spent a whole 2(read TWO) hours at this beach during our entire 11 day visit. I'm surprised we even stayed that long. The beach was so bad, it almost single handedly ruined our trip. Luckily for us, the Playacar beaches aren't too far & as mentioned above, the pool side was great.

-The food.
Meh. Breakfast was fine, no complaints. Lunch was the worst. None of the foods during our 11 day trip looked very fresh at all. If it looked even somewhat appealing, it was all salty. The burger bar was our savior at lunch, sadly we were restricted to eating burgers, ribs & pizza, but at least they were decent. Supper, again the selection was "meh"... Long story short, I've been to Cuba a few times, and the food(& selection) was better there BY MILES. Enough said.

- The room
Minor things, bed was stiff, pillows weren't comfortable at all. Could hear the music outside during the night, thin walls etc. We personally didn't mind any of that, our room was our haven of sorts.

-The safe in the room.
OH BOY. You pay extra to use the safe. We knew that. I STRONGLY disagree with this policy
( It's stupid. Very very very stupid), but it was one we were aware of and accepted. What absolutely blew my mind is that THEY LITERALLY HAND YOU THE LOCK MECHANISM WITH A KEY THAT YOU INSERT INTO THE SAFE YOURSELF. Whoever thought this was a good idea should be smacked (I do not condone violence, unless towards this person). Now, if you couldn't already tell what happens next, sure enough our key went missing. We have our suspicions as to what may have happened to it, we have no way to know for sure but the bottom line is the key was lost (orstolenfromourroomcoughcough).

The receptionist initially told my girlfriend(Her niece was witness) that it would be $175 USD to replace. They returned to the room visibly upset over the fact that it was "going to cost us nearly $200 for a lost KEY". The next morning, I spoke to a manager and he informed me that it was "ONLY" $100 USD. This meant one of two things; Either the receptionist they spoke to tried to take advantage of two girls at 11PM by trying to charge them more than they should have been, or the receptionist didn't have a clue about what they were speaking about... We will never know.

At this point, all our money was in the safe & we needed it for dinner reservations. We asked for somebody to come break open the safe & we would pay the $100 once we actually had access to it. We initially called at 3PM and were told "He's coming now"... A few calls later and the very same answer later, it was 6:30 and somebody finally showed up. It took them 2 hours to drill into & open the safe. So much for the second half of our day & those dinner reservations.

-The Service (At the buffet)
What service? We only received even the smallest bit of service 3(read THREE) times throughout our visit. As in, no "Would you like a drink?", no removal of dirty plates AT ALL. As mentioned above, we are the type to tip for everything, so it's not as though we had snubbed anybody nor were we ever rude or demanding. We walked into the dining area, said "Hola" to anybody who looked even slightly in our direction,smiled, served ourselves, sat down & ate and left. All quietly. Nobody seemed to enjoy their jobs (Understandable, I guess) and we were hard-pressed to find anybody with even a slight smile on their face. I wish I was exaggerating. But hey, nobody giving service, nobody to tip, right?

-Room service
This one is tricky. A bit anal on my part, fine. They cleaned the rooms amazing. What bothered me, is the fact that it often took 3 different people coming to our room throughout the day. Always at different times. They would knock and without giving 5 seconds to respond, they would barge in. As I mentioned above, we had our theory about how our safe key could have been stolen, so we were a bit weary of the people entering our room. For 3 days after the disappearance, this one lady would come by(AKA barge into) our room early in the morning(8-9AM)... She never had a cart, or any cleaning products and never made the reason of her presence clear. Maybe we were overly paranoid. Maybe.

We made the best of our vacation by doing excursions & spending time on 5th or at the beaches nearby... If it weren't for those factors, this property would have ruined our trip. I'm sure "It could be worse" and the price we paid for 11 days was a decent price.... You can find better properties for cheaper, I'm sure. If not, spend the few extra bucks and go elsewhere, Seriously.

Room Tip: All rooms face the pool. Don't bother wasting money on an ocean view/front room. I had been inte...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank TrulyRyan

Travellers are raving about these Playa del Carmen hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Service was good except the annoying sales people hounding you daily, wanting you to go to the time share presentation w/tour discounts (i would ignore tour packages offered in the future; waste of money, false promises, and eat up your entire day). Food buffet looked promising. However the cooks ruined most foods by including excessive amounts of salt, butter and cheese in everything including anything that was supposed to be healthy eating. I was immediately thinking of the documentary Super Size Me about the guy who ate at Macdonalds every day to see what it would do to his body/health. The hotel's Mexican/Italian restaurants were okay but it became a 2 hour wait affair to eat with the long wait time for waiter service.

Pool was nice; a bit too hot with very little shade cover. Seems best to wake up early at 7am to throw a towel on a shady seat to reserve the entire day. Closing the pool at 8pm was way too early given it was too hot/sunny all day to be in the pool until after 6 or 7pm. By then you only had an hour or two to swim.
Rooms - were conveniently located near pool which was nice; however it was very noisy as the hotel staff kept pushing carts all day long in the hallway near our room. You could hear the rumbling of the carts from early morning till night time.
I would say spare the all-inclusive and find a nice boutique hotel w/pool and enjoy exploring all the wonderful restaurants in the area. The cost difference will be a wash plus you will get better, healthier food and top shelf booze and no timeshare staff hounding you daily in the lobby.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Gabriel P
Montreal, Quebec
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We arrived at around 12:30 and were told that there were no rooms available until 3pm. Went to have lunch, put on our bathing suits and went to the pool.
For an 'all inclusive' I was displeased to learn that the safe was an extra charge, the Mexican restaurant charges a cover 6USD, and the lobby coffe bar is also not included. We had to beg to get extra towels.
The food, although delicious, lacks some variety (same fruit, pre-made salad and fish). You'd think we'd have more seafood... Anyway...
The beach is small and rocky but, if you walk in the water the sand is nice and soft (beware of random shells and rocks, ouch!!)
Will we go back to this resort NO!!!

Room Tip: All rooms have a pool view so don't fall for the 'upgrade'.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank HappyFamilyB
ManagementGCB, Manager at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear HappyFamilyB,

We are really sorry to hear you experienced some inconveniences during your stay and we would like to express our most sincere apology for this.

The hotel check in time is 3 p.m. and the check out time is 12 p.m. We need the time in between to clean the rooms. We will provide the rooms earlier when we have them ready before, but if this is not the case, our guests can enter the hotel and enjoy lunch or the pool area, up till the rooms are ready.

The hotel offers different room categories. We would like to explain for future clients the differences between the different room categories so our future guests know the different room types you can book and avoid disappointments because of not being informed properly. There is just a small difference to upgrade to the superior or premium room.

. The standard room category includes
• Full service breakfast lunch and dinner buffet
• 1 A la carte Dinner option in Italian a la carte restaurant
• Snackbar & tea time
• Choice of various bars , domestic alcohol and non alcoholic drinks
• Kids club, bikes, gym, aerobics
• Day and night activities
• Non motorized watersports including kayaks, boogie boards, snorkel equipment & scuba dive demo.
• Room: with either one king size bed or two double beds, air conditioning, private bath room , hair dryer, make up mirror, TV, telephone, mini fridge (not stocked), alarm clock, iron & iron board, safety deposit box ($) and a private balcony or terrace.
• Note: second a la carte restaurant available at a surcharge per person.
The Superior room category includes the standard room package plus:
• Coffee maker in room
• Bathrobe and upgraded amenities in room
• Safety deposit box without charge
• Minibar filled with beer and soft drinks daily
• Choice of 2 a la carte restaurants without surcharge
• 25% Discount on any spa service in the Reef Spa
• Bottle of wine upon arrival in room

The Premium room category includes the superior services plus extra:
• Premium alcoholic beverages offered at all bars, (wine´s and champagne not included), international brands selected by the hotel.
• Access to our private Beach Lounge Bar directly at the beach with personalized service VIP
• Wifi ( as of November 01, 2014)

We are sorry we were not able to meet your expectations and we wish you happy future travels.

Kind regards,

NEW YORK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Group of 11 adults stayed here for 5 days! I will say that this place is a family-friendly hotel.
The staff work hard, and if tipped you will get more. The pool is the best thing there. The food, buffet, and restaurants were just OK in my opinion. The beach was small but nice, the pics don't show all the boats in the water! By day 3, we were over it the place & the food, and the same 5 songs! I would rather stay at Cabos or Cancun!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Jayonline
San Antonio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

What a Title?, but that is exactly what I mean! Sure there are downsides, like Wi-Fi not being free, limited (like almost none) pre-mixed salad offerings, and only conventional fruit on the buffet, but whatever floats your boat.
As soon as you walk out of the Front Office Bldg., you enter a mangrove forest. Your room is in one of the buildings they erected without destroying the eco-system. Besides the lizards and birds, there are also Agouti and Coatimundy around the grounds.
On the other side of the jungle are the pools and restaurants, and then the cabanas, umbrellas, sand and sea. Cozumel Island lies on the horizon, and I think that barrier island helps control the beach water for this part of the coast. We have stayed in Cancun and you cannot get in the water safely as there is always a rip tide effect, even when they don't display the Red Flags. Not so at this resort and in this area. There were no flags up or down the beach. My wife enjoyed the peacefulness of it. I managed to get a little body-surfing in, but it was only for about 20' max as the waves were so small. The beach is very deep. There must have been 6 or more rows of umbrellas lined up at least 15 across.
We tried the Specialty Restaurants and the food was good, but you end up spending the whole evening on just finishing the meal. There is a lot of dead time between everything. If you drink, you could be drunk before your entree arrives. They are very strict on their dress code - NO SANDALS for men. Shorts were accepted even though I had been told long pants only.
The Buffet restaurant's offerings are just as good and you serve yourself, so time is your own responsibility, and sandals are good enough for everyone.
The wait-staff help any way they can. All the staff are courteous and helpful. Of course, they know they can get more $ for being so. The wait-staff and bartenders were exceptional. We chose one waiter, Isidoro, who took care of us for breakfast and lunch, and gave him a Trip Advisor pin. All the staff were familiar with Trip Advisor.
We went Premium and got the gold colored wrist bands. I really didn't see that it made that much of a difference. From what I personally saw, the bartenders at the Premium bar never hesitated to serve any color wrist band, and the completed drinks were made exactly the same regardless. I did not see any big difference in rooms either. My wife just reminded me that there was an added charge to go to the Specialty Restaurants without the gold band.
Kayaks and twin-hulled-sailboats were free to use by all guests. Just sign them out for a half hour and have fun. There were other beach services available at cost.
The Buffet set out a coffee service by 6am, for us early risers.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#5 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,182 reviews

Been to The Reef Coco Beach? Share your experiences!