My girlfriend and I just returned from a week at The Reef Coco Beach and the stay was ok.
Arrival: Upon arriving they told us they did not have a room for us so they told us we'd have to stay in the "presidential" suite for the night and then move into a regular room the next day before noon. It was kind of annoying because my girlfriend and i wanted to get out and go places, not be stuck at the hotel until 12, also i believe it was just a ploy to try and get ust to upgrade to a more expensive suite. The "presidential suite" was very beautiful but we did not want to pay the extra money they were trying to get us to so we could stay there for the duration of our trip. After we got settled into our new room we walked down to the resort's beach.
Beach: The beach right on the resort was very dissapointing, for some reason the area of beach right in front of the resort is used as a parking garage for 20+ boats. The water is not clear due to all of the sand kicked up and there is barely any room to swim around. If you want to enjoy the Carribean water, walk down the beach away from the resort for about 10 minutes and the water will be a lot more clear and no boats!
Food: Included in the all-inclusive plan is the italian restaurant, the miramar which is the buffet cafeteria, and the snack bar. The mexican restaurant is not included and has a 6 dollar per person charge if you want to eat there. The italian restaurant was pretty good, the food quality definitely doesnt match the level of fanciness that the restaurant tries to portray but nonetheless it is still decent food and we ate there 3 out of 6 nights. Breakfast at the miramar is buffet style and was not bad either. I just got an omellete every morning which they make fresh right in front of you with ingredients of your choice so it wasn't bad.
Service: Service for the most part was pretty good. If you plan on going to the poolside bar at night, try and go when Andres is working. I went to the bar one night and it was a really fun experience thanks to Andres, he always made sure i had a drink and even went out of his way to get us shot glasses so that i could take a shot with some locals i befriended who were also vacationing at the resort. The italian restaurant service decent for most of the trip until the last two nights. We arrived to the resort on a monday and for the whole week it was not that crowded and we did not need to make reservations at the italian restaurant. Come Friday the restaurant was packed and we had to wait about 20 minutes to be seated. I didn't mind waiting but the service we received was poor. We were a bit confused as to why we were almost ignored for most of the night and felt like they didn't want us there. Granted we are a young couple of 20 and 21 years old but that is no reason to act like we didn't pay just as much as all of the older couples eating there as well. I was also upset with the treatment at the restaurant on the last day because we had tipped all week even though the all inclusive package says tips are included and we did not see one other couple tip at the restaurant.
Room: The regular room was pretty nice and cozy. The A/C always worked and the celing fan was kept on high the whole time to keep the room nice and cool. Overall we were really pleased with the room until the last day. On our last morning we were woken up at 6 in the morning by workers doing extremely loud construction LITERALLY right outside our room. Normally we probably wouldnt have been bothered by it since we woke up early every day to get out and explore Playa Del Carmen and nearby cities but on our last day we just wanted to sleep in. I understand that the construction needed to get done but why at 6 AM when you have guests sleeping? Also when we returned to our room after walking 5th avenue on our last day, the room smelled of rotten eggs like someone had thrown a stink bomb in the room. We presumed that it was due to the construction outside of our room but it was such a disgusting odor so we went and told the front desk and they said "they'd have someone spray our room." We were not really that upset due to it being our last day and all but just a little dissapointed with how bad things got at the resort when it got busy on Friday.
Overall it is a nice play to sleep and have dinner occasionaly but if you're looking for a resort to stay at for the entirety of your vacation and not go out a lot of days, this isn't the place for you. I probably would have rated it 4 stars but things just got so bad on the last days that it really affected our view of the place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 30 miles south of Cancun, The Reef Cococbeach is the perfect compliment to the white sandy beaches and turquoise waters of this world renowned tropical paradise. Just a short walk from the picturesque town of Playa del Carmen, you will enjoy our personalized service, the privacy you desire in a resort destination and the entertainment of one of the best night life's the Mayan Riviera has to offer.Our location provides easy access to the many attractions the Mayan Riviera has to offer such as Playa del Carmen's famous 5th avenue, Playacar's Bird Sanctuary, Playacar Golf Club, Xcaret, Xel-Ha, Tulum and much, much more.The hotel offers 196 comfortable rooms Caribbean style, our pleasant rooms consist of one king size bed or two double beds, terrace or balcony, air conditioning, ceiling fan, mini fridge, TV,hair dryer, vanity mirror, telephone and bath room with bahttub and shower combination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your The Reef Coco Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Coco Bay Mexico
- Grand Coco Bay Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Coco Bay Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Coco Bay Riviera Maya
- The Reef Coco Beach Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen