My girlfriend and I just returned from our third stay at the Mimi Del Mar, and once again, we really enjoyed ourselves and their hospitality. We love Playa, and I'm a creature of habit, so when we planned our trip, it was easy to choose the Mimi again. For affordability and rustic coziness, in addition to beachfront location, it's pretty hard to beat.
I try to prepare myself for any potential snafus that arise when traveling, and certainly no vacation is perfect. There was some confusion about the room we reserved, but that was quickly resolved upon arrival. We checked in and started enjoying wonderful Playa.
The work done on the beach in front of the Mimi is wonderful. It's been rebuilt, and the sand is beautiful. Since we arrived at the end of the high season, there were a couple of days where there were good crowds, a couple of days where we had it all to ourselves. The hotel was also in low occupancy, which I know isn't good for them, but it makes us feel like we are not part of a huge tourist crowd.
Our room was very well taken care of. Service was daily and outstanding. Staff was friendly and courteous to us, smiling and waving every day we saw them. We bring our own blankets to hang in the large sliding glass window so we can sleep a little later - caution Playa newbies, the sun comes up at 6:15 and it's in your room if you don't cover the windows. The Mimi has small TV's with cable, which I love - because late at night, I'm a flipper and I love to watch Spanish TV. I also love the rattle and hum of the wall-unit A/C. It's cold, and the bed is firm, clean and was easy for us to sleep on.
When we left, there was some confusion about our transportation to the airport, but that was also worked out. One thing that is important to me when I travel is customer service. If I have a problem, for my money I want to feel like I am taken care of and that someone is paying attention. Mimi does that, and when I explained to her what had happened, she made everything right by us.
To summarize - for rustic, cozy affordability on the beach, the Mimi is a great place. Great food nearby, close to all the shopping of 5th Avenue and far enough away from the discos. Very good service. They could pay more attention to detail, but nobody's perfect. This is not a resort. If you want something fancy, I'm sure there's something else for you that's also way more expensive. For my money, I'll take the Mimi.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are in one of the best locations in Playa del Carmen...Mimi del Mar has 19 rooms all with kitchenettes, air condition, ceiling fans, cable tv, balcony or terrace, bathroom with shower, hot and cold water, daily maid service, we have our own snack bar on the beach for a good breakfast with fresh orange juice, later for shrimp cocktails, ceviches, refreshing beverages, coconuts and more, (lounge chairs with umbrellas, beach towels, wifi, safety deposit boxes, parking lot...for free), swimming pool and most important...PERSONAL SERVICE! We are where only small properties are, we are not an All Inclusive hotel, therefore feel free to go whatever you want because we are one block away from the popular and famous 5th Avenue where you can find almost everything, from mexican handycrafts to diamonds, this avenue changes at nite. Optional services: Tours to Xcaret, Xel-ha, swimming with Dolphins etc. airport-hotel-airport transportation and more...welcome to your home away from home...your Host Rene ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Odigeo so you can book your Hotel Mimi del Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mimi Del Mar Hotel
- Mimi Del Mar Playa Carmen
- Hotel Mimi Del Mar Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen