“We LOVED LOVED LOVED MiMi”
Review of Hotel Mimi del Mar

Hotel Mimi del Mar
Ranked #141 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Last week we came home from Playa. I cannot say enough good things about MiMi. The staff was wonderful. Location was AWESOME. We did stay in the superior room. The ocean view was perfect off the balcony. My husband thought the bed was a hard, but it was fine for me. VERY short walk to the beach and very quiet at night and a short walk to the shops & restaurant. Playa has gone through alot of changes (for the good) since our last trip 5 years ago.

A separate thumbs up to Pancho. He was great. It was soooo hot everyday and he made sure we were taken care of and comfortable.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 July 2010

We were on vacation from June 11-25, we only spent the 18-25 at the Mimi del Mar, we really wish we would have stayed here the whole vacation, but unfortunately we made the mistake of booking at a local All-Inclusive in advance and couldn't get out of it. The Mimi del Mar was a far better hotel. The service was awesome, the location, the people, everything. The restaurant has great drinks, beer and food and the best waiters on the beach!!! Love, Love Raul and the other waiter they work hard all day! This place has lots of beach chairs, umbrellas & towels. There is bottled water and the rooms have really cold air conditioning and great showers. I had some fish fingers at the restaurant those are fantastic, the chips and salsa are always fresh and delicious too with a bucket of icy cold beers, you just can't go wrong here. The Mimi is located close to everything within to walking distance so don't hestitate to get out a walk-about. We had free wi-fi, had some trouble with it, but was able to be on the web everyday. My only negative was the bed it was a little hard for me.But everything else was great. It was our 17th Wedding Anniversary thanks Mimi del Mar, we will be back next year!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WJ S
Reviewed 14 May 2010

My girlfriend and I just returned from our third stay at the Mimi Del Mar, and once again, we really enjoyed ourselves and their hospitality. We love Playa, and I'm a creature of habit, so when we planned our trip, it was easy to choose the Mimi again. For affordability and rustic coziness, in addition to beachfront location, it's pretty hard to beat.

I try to prepare myself for any potential snafus that arise when traveling, and certainly no vacation is perfect. There was some confusion about the room we reserved, but that was quickly resolved upon arrival. We checked in and started enjoying wonderful Playa.

The work done on the beach in front of the Mimi is wonderful. It's been rebuilt, and the sand is beautiful. Since we arrived at the end of the high season, there were a couple of days where there were good crowds, a couple of days where we had it all to ourselves. The hotel was also in low occupancy, which I know isn't good for them, but it makes us feel like we are not part of a huge tourist crowd.

Our room was very well taken care of. Service was daily and outstanding. Staff was friendly and courteous to us, smiling and waving every day we saw them. We bring our own blankets to hang in the large sliding glass window so we can sleep a little later - caution Playa newbies, the sun comes up at 6:15 and it's in your room if you don't cover the windows. The Mimi has small TV's with cable, which I love - because late at night, I'm a flipper and I love to watch Spanish TV. I also love the rattle and hum of the wall-unit A/C. It's cold, and the bed is firm, clean and was easy for us to sleep on.

When we left, there was some confusion about our transportation to the airport, but that was also worked out. One thing that is important to me when I travel is customer service. If I have a problem, for my money I want to feel like I am taken care of and that someone is paying attention. Mimi does that, and when I explained to her what had happened, she made everything right by us.

To summarize - for rustic, cozy affordability on the beach, the Mimi is a great place. Great food nearby, close to all the shopping of 5th Avenue and far enough away from the discos. Very good service. They could pay more attention to detail, but nobody's perfect. This is not a resort. If you want something fancy, I'm sure there's something else for you that's also way more expensive. For my money, I'll take the Mimi.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank musictraveler40
Reviewed 1 April 2010

I´ve been to Mimi four times during spring break and celebrated christmas there twice!!
This place is simply beautiful, but there is one must.
You have to require an OCEAN FRONT room in advance (there are only 2).
I miss waking up to the view from the huge terrace every day!!
The rooms and the hotel in general could benefit of some updating, but the view and the location makes up for any flaw the hotel may have.
The location is perfect. The hotel is right on the beach and only one block away from 5th avenue. 5th provides you with tons of shopping, nightlife, atmosphere and restaurants.
This hotel is not for people who needs extremely good service and every thing adjusted to their needs. This is a hotel for people who cares about location and atmosphere!!
This place is so great that we take the trouble to travel the 20 h trip from norway almost every year, even with a one year old...

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2010

This is a difficult review because the hotel itself is old and not well maintained but the room was clean enough and we had one of two oceanfront rooms with a huge, private balcony. We left the balcony door open all the time and had a breeze with the rear window open. It was quiet too. I don't know if there are other hotels with private, ocean front rooms and a kitchen for $170! But, there were tiny, tiny ants that came out in the kitchen if one little crumb was out and the kitchen furnishings were sparse. We bought dish soap and washed everything. You have to buy bottled water at this hotel but that was o.k. with us. The biggest problem was that the hot water was luke warm when we arrived and then went to cold and they even turned it off completely for several hours on two different days to repair. This was not acceptable service in our opinion and they offerred us nothing in return. You don't get breakfast included unless you book directly through the hotel but the one we purchase wasn't good anyway. We loved Playa del Carmen and this location on the beach. Since the beach restoration there is plenty of room on the sand and the small size of the hotel helps the beach area not be croweded. Bad Boys Beach Club next door has good food and the live music from 5-9 on Thurs. and Sat. was great! If you're looking for a no frills hotel in a good location for a good price, you'll like this. We had to move to the Alhambra hotel down the beach for one night. The rooms were much nicer but we were on a side street with noise and less privacy so had to keep the room closed up with the air conditioner running. I'd rather have the ocean front, quiet room at the Mimi.

1  Thank lovetovacation010
Reviewed 10 February 2010

We have stayed at Mimi on 2 occasions. I admit it isn't a fancy place but we have been treated very well and really enjoyed our stays. Our last stay occurred at the time of the beach restoration in mid January and although that was a bummer for everyone on the beach, they helped us out with an upgraded room and were very apologetic about the situation. The breakfast of eggs, bacon, toast, juice and coffee is fine to get your day started. I have never been denied the breakfast or towels while there. Drinking water is not supplied so you must go shopping for it every couple days at Walmart or Mega for the big jugs. The location is as good or better than any hotel there. I have heard that the Manager, Rene Garcia, who we really liked , is no longer there and we will miss him. We do however look forward to staying there again.

1  Thank rickscottOhio
Reviewed 3 February 2010

The positive: Location, location, location. The reconstructed beach is big and beautiful, and Hotel Mimi del Mar is right there!

The negative: When we checked in, the manager explained that there was a problem with the laundry and would we mind using the same beach towels for a couple of days. Except that we never got any beach towels. When we went to the front desk, we were told to come back later and when we returned later, we were told that we should have come earlier. We paid extra for continental breakfast, which ended up being white toast and watery orange juice. Not even coffee, as we were told the coffee machine was broken. There was no hot water the first two days and then no water at all. When we went to the front desk, the manager was nowhere to be found. Instead he left a memo explaining that, in order to fix the hot water, all the water needed to be turned off. When we asked about what to do for a toilet, we were told to "wait, I guess." When the water came back on nearly 8 hours later, there was still no hot water. And we checked out and moved to the magical Mahekal.

We have stayed in Playa before and have always been impressed by the service and consideration. But not at Hotel del Mimi where the management just doesn't care.