“Cozy hotel on the beach, top location!!!”
Review of Hotel Mimi del Mar

Hotel Mimi del Mar
Ranked #144 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Nice and cozy little hotel. We were very pleased we didn't stay at some of the all inclusive-luxury-hotels at the River Maya -area. Here you can really see the Mexican lifestyle.
The staff were extremely friendly.
The location is perfect. Only minus is the sand which spreads everywhere because the hotel really is _on_the_beach.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 November 2010

We decided to try Playa del Carmen for part of our honeymoon, and I'm glad we're only here for 2 nights. The place is very loud because of its exposure to a large bar next door and its poor insulation. The thatched roof is real and provides no protection from all the racket outside.

Our room also seems to have a gnat problem, and the bathroom is badly built with bare bones toiletries. If you're used to staying in decent places I would stay away from this place. It is close to being the worst hotel we have ever stayed in while traveling and a terrible price for what you get.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Mimi in January 2010. Fortunately our arrival date just happened to be a week after the beach restoration was completed. The restored beach was beautiful. We enjoyed our 4 night stay. The hotel is right on the beach, yes you do have to drag your bags across the sand, near the center of town and the ferry dock. We originally were shown a room on the 3rd floor but requested a lower floor because the stairs were tricky. The room was plain but clean and a good value considering the location and price. The free breakfast was very good and lunch on the beach was just fine. The staff was friendly and helpful. We will be returning in January.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Last week we came home from Playa. I cannot say enough good things about MiMi. The staff was wonderful. Location was AWESOME. We did stay in the superior room. The ocean view was perfect off the balcony. My husband thought the bed was a hard, but it was fine for me. VERY short walk to the beach and very quiet at night and a short walk to the shops & restaurant. Playa has gone through alot of changes (for the good) since our last trip 5 years ago.

A separate thumbs up to Pancho. He was great. It was soooo hot everyday and he made sure we were taken care of and comfortable.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2010

We were on vacation from June 11-25, we only spent the 18-25 at the Mimi del Mar, we really wish we would have stayed here the whole vacation, but unfortunately we made the mistake of booking at a local All-Inclusive in advance and couldn't get out of it. The Mimi del Mar was a far better hotel. The service was awesome, the location, the people, everything. The restaurant has great drinks, beer and food and the best waiters on the beach!!! Love, Love Raul and the other waiter they work hard all day! This place has lots of beach chairs, umbrellas & towels. There is bottled water and the rooms have really cold air conditioning and great showers. I had some fish fingers at the restaurant those are fantastic, the chips and salsa are always fresh and delicious too with a bucket of icy cold beers, you just can't go wrong here. The Mimi is located close to everything within to walking distance so don't hestitate to get out a walk-about. We had free wi-fi, had some trouble with it, but was able to be on the web everyday. My only negative was the bed it was a little hard for me.But everything else was great. It was our 17th Wedding Anniversary thanks Mimi del Mar, we will be back next year!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WJ S
Reviewed 14 May 2010

My girlfriend and I just returned from our third stay at the Mimi Del Mar, and once again, we really enjoyed ourselves and their hospitality. We love Playa, and I'm a creature of habit, so when we planned our trip, it was easy to choose the Mimi again. For affordability and rustic coziness, in addition to beachfront location, it's pretty hard to beat.

I try to prepare myself for any potential snafus that arise when traveling, and certainly no vacation is perfect. There was some confusion about the room we reserved, but that was quickly resolved upon arrival. We checked in and started enjoying wonderful Playa.

The work done on the beach in front of the Mimi is wonderful. It's been rebuilt, and the sand is beautiful. Since we arrived at the end of the high season, there were a couple of days where there were good crowds, a couple of days where we had it all to ourselves. The hotel was also in low occupancy, which I know isn't good for them, but it makes us feel like we are not part of a huge tourist crowd.

Our room was very well taken care of. Service was daily and outstanding. Staff was friendly and courteous to us, smiling and waving every day we saw them. We bring our own blankets to hang in the large sliding glass window so we can sleep a little later - caution Playa newbies, the sun comes up at 6:15 and it's in your room if you don't cover the windows. The Mimi has small TV's with cable, which I love - because late at night, I'm a flipper and I love to watch Spanish TV. I also love the rattle and hum of the wall-unit A/C. It's cold, and the bed is firm, clean and was easy for us to sleep on.

When we left, there was some confusion about our transportation to the airport, but that was also worked out. One thing that is important to me when I travel is customer service. If I have a problem, for my money I want to feel like I am taken care of and that someone is paying attention. Mimi does that, and when I explained to her what had happened, she made everything right by us.

To summarize - for rustic, cozy affordability on the beach, the Mimi is a great place. Great food nearby, close to all the shopping of 5th Avenue and far enough away from the discos. Very good service. They could pay more attention to detail, but nobody's perfect. This is not a resort. If you want something fancy, I'm sure there's something else for you that's also way more expensive. For my money, I'll take the Mimi.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank musictraveler40
Reviewed 1 April 2010

I´ve been to Mimi four times during spring break and celebrated christmas there twice!!
This place is simply beautiful, but there is one must.
You have to require an OCEAN FRONT room in advance (there are only 2).
I miss waking up to the view from the huge terrace every day!!
The rooms and the hotel in general could benefit of some updating, but the view and the location makes up for any flaw the hotel may have.
The location is perfect. The hotel is right on the beach and only one block away from 5th avenue. 5th provides you with tons of shopping, nightlife, atmosphere and restaurants.
This hotel is not for people who needs extremely good service and every thing adjusted to their needs. This is a hotel for people who cares about location and atmosphere!!
This place is so great that we take the trouble to travel the 20 h trip from norway almost every year, even with a one year old...

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family