“Fantastic location, quiet room” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Playa Maya
Ranked #91 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
united states
“Fantastic location, quiet room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Although I have been to PDC many times, I was not sure where to stay since this was my first solo trip. I made a wonderful choice in Playa Maya. The room was clean and large, the staff was incredibly friendly and I felt safe and welcome. The hotel is in the center of town, right on the beach and a block away from virtually anything. Even though the nightlife was alive all around, the room was quiet and spacious and the bed was surprisingly comfortable. I met up with my night owl friends and the location made it very easy to go anywhere. I am first and foremost a beach vacationer and it was fantastic to get a free breakfast right on the sand under the palapas. The water is still beautiful and warm, however if you have been to PDC before - note that most of the beach in this location has eroded, exposing rocks. I was still able to enjoy lounging on the beach chairs, but kids wanting to play in the sand had a very small area to do so. Swimming is also still possible, you just need to be careful to pick a path in and out.

My reservations about the beach paled in comparison to the rest of the hotel - great food, helpful staff, fresh beach towels every morning and new towel animals on my bed every night. It was the perfect, relaxing trip.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank 2dkdkd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Franklinton, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed for our 20th anniversary, initially we could not get the room we wanted (deluxe balcony) because it was high season and there was a 5 night minimum and we could only say 4 nights, but due to a cancellation a short stay was available (check their website site frequently for short stays and specials). I made the reservations via email and Mr. Ryberg was very responsive to all my questions. My initial inquiry was not responded to, but when I tried again Mr. Ryberg apologized and after that there were no problems. All the positive reviews are accurate in my opinion. This is a great place if you want to be on the beach, nice views of the ocean and Cozumel, walking distance to everything in Playa but still have a nice, safe, quiet place to relax when you have had enough of the hectic pace of 5th Ave. As others have said, this is not a 5 star luxury hotel or all inclusive so if that is what you like do not stay here unless you want to try something different. We like smaller more intimate places and like to venture out and try a variety of places to eat and drink (quality over quantity).
Upon arrival, our bed was decorated with rose petals and the number 20 spelled out in them with two “towel swans” and numerous tissue flowers. I did not ask for this but did say in my email to Mr. Ryberg that we were celebrating our anniversary so he must have told staff. I agree that the cleaning staff (Fidel and others), wait staff (Carlos and Luciano) and desk staff (Maria and others) are very good at what they do. They are attentive but not overbearing, they take the lead from you, if you want attention they give it but if they sense you like to be left alone they will do so, but all you have to do is ask and they will be there to help. Rooms are clean and in good shape especially considering the age of the building, filtered water is available free of charge and you have an in room mini fridge for saving leftovers or keeping cold beer on hand.
WE were on the second of three floors and the view was fine but with some obstructions from adjacent buildings, I think the third floor would be the best. I believe there are only 4 deluxe balcony rooms in the entire hotel. The balcony was perfect for 2 people to sit on and have morning coffee or afternoon drinks. The included breakfast was great, I especially liked the American breakfast with juice, coffee, toast, eggs and ham. The fish tacos, ceviche and coconut shrimp were some of the best we had in Mexico and the beer and mixed drinks were strong and fairly priced. Beach towels, a lounger and umbrella are included and you have a guaranteed space unlike the big resorts where you have to wake up at 7am to save a spot (not my idea of a vacation). The beach is not as good as Tulum or some in Cancun, but as good or better than any others in Playa except maybe Mamitas, but not as crowded and you can walk to Mamitas easily if you like. If all you want is a nice spot to wade in and cool off it is fine. There is seaweed along the beach but that seems to be common in Playa, probably because of the healthy ecosystem between it and Cozumel along the reef.
I would not recommend this place for someone who has “mobility issues” since the only entrance/exit is along the beach and the hotel has no elevators. As others have said if the staff sees you (and if you give Mr. Ryberg a heads up on when you plan to arrive they will be looking for you), they will come running to help you with your bags. I had barely stepped off the end of Calle 8 (8th street) when two of the staff looked up from 100’ away and said “playa maya?”, when I nodded yes they were there in an instant. Check in was smooth and fast.
I would definitely stay here again. If you are unsure, read a lot of the reviews and I believe you will get an accurate picture of what the Playa Maya is all about.
The only reason I did not give 5 stars is that I have never given any location 5 stars overall.

Room Tip: If you want the best views get the deluxe balcony and ask for the 3rd floor
3 Thank kmartinncemc
Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Great staff, great location, beautiful location on beach, I would stay here again only if they updated the rooms and bathrooms.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mazz5
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed at Playa Maya from 3/12-3/22/2012. This was our second stay and was even more perfect than the first.

The original room we wanted was not available for the first few days, so we said we would just stay in the standard room-no problem. Upon arrival, we had been upgraded to the jacuzzi room. What a fantastic surprise!

Our room was always so clean---our cleaning person was in and out before we even noticed and the room always was spotless.

The waitstaff was wonderful and we are still thinking about those shrimp tacos. :)

One thing I want to talk about is how incredible the front desk staff has been to us. Always trying to teach us a little Spanish and going out of their way to always help.

We are returning the same time next year and staying at Playa Maya again!!! Thank you to Steve & all of the staff at Playa Maya!

6 Thank Trish0517
Milan, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at Playa Maya Hotel on the beach in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico the end of Jan. 2012. It was our fist stay there and it will not be our last! The rooms were clean and nice, almost all with ocean views!! The staff was extremely nice, all of them always talked to you whenever they saw you, even if it was in another part of town. The food was excellent!! We recommend the coconut shrimp!!! If you are planning on a stay in Playa Del Carmen, please think about this Hotel, well worth cost. The only thing, it is not all inclusive. You get your room, breakfast every morning, and a beach chair every day, but otherwise you have to fend for yourself, but that is not all bad. There are many excellent restuarants in Playa Del Carmen and many are reasonable as long as your set on eating on 5th Avenue. Get off the beaten path and you will far well. Have a great time~!!!
Teresa & Chris

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PlayaTravelers
Two Rivers, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

When we decided to try to squeeze in a short trip to Mexico this year, there was only one choice for us. Our hearts nearly broke when we were told at first that we wouldn't be able to stay here, but Steve worked with us even though we could only stay 4 nights which is under the minimum for this time of year. He made an exception since we were repeat customers. That is the kind of service you can expect from everyone at Playa Maya.

When we got there, our room wasn't quite ready, so we went to the beach for lunch. We sat down, our waiter came over, and said, "I remember you. You stayed here two years ago!" Unbelievable!!

This time we stayed in the jacuzzi garden. I loved the garden area, and the whirlpool tub was very relaxing after an exhausting day on the beach! The room was beautiful, quiet, and clean beyond belief. My husband loved the room too, but he admits he missed the superior balcony we had last time because he loves to sit on the balcony and watch the waves at night.

Every part of our stay was fabulous...the room, the food, the drinks, and most of all the people. They really do go out of their way to make your stay the best it can be. It was very reassuring to return to our room after strolling 5th Avenue in the evening to have a security guard checking your room key to be sure you belonged there.

I can't really say anything else that hasn't already been said about this place. I do know that we won't stay anywhere else when we come to PDC. You have got to give this place a try!

Room Tip: Both the Jacuzzi Garden and the Superior Balcony are great rooms...just depends if you want ocean vi...
3 Thank packerfan2
Winnipeg, Manitoba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

The previous 4 or 5 reviewers all stayed at Playa Maya around the same time we were there, it seems, and everything they said has been true for a very long time! This was our 8th stay there, 4 for 2 weeks and 4 for 3 weeks, so with 20 weeks spent there now, I can advise you that much hasn't changed in 8 years, and the things that have were small and evolutionary, addressing the most-often voiced complaints.

What is there to like about Playa Maya? First, and foremost, the staff! Many of them are long-time employees and you can't beat the feeling of landing on the beach at the foot of 8th street to be greeted by a round of handshakes and hugs as they grab the bags. Watching them day after day, they truly seem to be one big happy family. They eat lunch together in the afternoons and the restautrant is often filled with laughter. Long-time employees are the essence of consistent delivery.

Along with that, the rooms are generous, the housekeeping is top notch, the food is amongst the best in Playa del Carmen, there is always a beach chair waiting for you, the service never stops and you are right around the corner from all that Playa del Carmen has to offer. And, just enough around the corner to enjoy a peaceful night's sleep while the disco's boom a few blocks away.

There are a few things some won't like:
only beach access, so kick off your shoes on 8th Street
built-in StairMaster (it's 58 steps from the beach to the third floor, but I happen to like that)
dipping pool, so no Olympic practice available

With another 3-week stay concluded and next year's already booked, what more is there to say.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple