“Beautiful Destination Wedding”

Ranked #102 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Dallas, Texas
“Beautiful Destination Wedding”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My (now) husband and I (and our daughters and extended families) stayed at Playa Maya for our destination wedding, and Playa Maya also hosted our wedding reception (right on the beach). We had such an amazing stay. The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and the perfect size for my husband and I and two young daughters. (We stayed in the Jr. Suite w/ Kitchenette.) The breakfasts were abundant and scrumptious. The service was impeccable. Of course, it doesn't hurt that Playa Maya is right on the beach! Everyone had such positive things to say about our time at Playa Maya. There's no question we will stay at Playa Maya when we come to Playa del Carmen, and I can't imagine going anywhere else.

The wedding reception dinner was beautiful. The staff went over and beyond and decorated the tables and palapa. It was an intimate and romantic setting. Many of our guests commented on how delicious the food was and several people said it was the best food they had ever eaten at a wedding reception. We had the time of our life and will forever remember the event fondly.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jennifer M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Our week at the Playa Maya was better than we ever expected. The staff was attentive, friendly and always professional. Our room was immaculate, we are both VERY picky about cleanliness, and we were unable to find any area of the room that wasn't spotless. We stayed in room 302, we had an amazing view, and we enjoyed a lot of time on the balcony. In the morning, we enjoyed coffee on the beach, served by the friendly staff. We ordered the coconut shrimp, which I must say was AMAZING!! As were the taco's and nacho's. We didn't have a single menu item that we didn't fully enjoy, but the shrimp was our favourite. We enjoyed being on the beach, and close to Fifth Ave. The Playa Maya is also walking distance to the Walmart which was very convenient for stocking our fridge with snacks for the day. We are already planning our next visit to the Playa Maya. Our only negative experience was the music from the nightclub up the beach. Fortunately it was only played on the weekend, and it was turned off at a reasonable hour.

Room Tip: Room 302 had a great view of the ocean
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bradandkathyp
Aloha, Oregon
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Our second time , and it couldn't have been better. The location is next to none.
The staff did not change one employee that I saw in a year's time. The food is as good as
anywhere in Playa that we've been in 10 trips there over the years, and better than most. Rooms are impeccably clean, with water available everywhere.
During recent construction on a nearby hotel, the owners, one of whom arrived while we were
there, consulted and compensated each and every guest in the hotel.
It is that concern that prompts us to return to this hotel as dedicated return customers.
Most owners would do nothing.
I will not consider staying in any other hotel in Playa del Carmen.

Room Tip: Just choose according to the bed configuration you need, and higher up depending on the view you des...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PDXTK
disraeli, quebec
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We spent the last weeks of February at this hotel and to say the least,the the location on the beach was perfect as was the service.
Stayed in room 302 and everything was just fine although room 301 would have been even better.
If there is anything negative it had to be the beach (rocky) and the fact that the restaurant closes for orders at 5:30pm. It really would have been nice to have supper directly on the ocean! All in all it was worth the money.

Room Tip: Rooms 201,202,301 and 302
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank recneps8
HartfordCt
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This was our first time at a non all inclusive and we went with my wife having great reservations about weather she would like it. At the end of the day it was a great place to stay for the both of us.

The reason we wanted a non all inclusive was so that we could enjoy some of the fabulous restaurants on and near 5th ave. After reading all the great reviews on Playa Maya and the fact it was right on the beach and we could get a ocean front/ocean view room for less then half of what it would cost to stay at a good AI we made the commitment for 10 nights.

The rooms I would describe as very clean and in over all great condition. If you are looking for marble bathrooms and a Jacuzzi in your room this might not be the place for you. If you are looking for a good size room, a very clean room, a great view, a nice beach and a front desk staff that was/is better then at any AI you will stay at then this just might be for you
At the front desk you have Arely, Pablo and Fernando that all do a great job of helping with anything you need and the lady that did a wonderful job keeping our room in order was Agelina. Out on the beach you have a great crew that is always there to help you get a chair a drink or some delicious food from the restaurant and doing it with a smile.

If you are ready to try a non all inclusive this is a wonderful place to start. I can not think of one thing that I would really change before we come here a second time.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank volleyball-Jim
Minnesota
Reviewed 14 February 2014

This is truly an overdue review as my husband and I stayed at Playa Maya back in June 2013 for 7 nights. This was our first Mexico trip and did not want want to be disappointed, sick, and/or be in an all inclusive hotel. I came across reviews of PM and decided to book it. Now we have low expectations and was not expecting a luxory hotel. I went ahead and booked PM for our trip. The owner was very pleasant to work with ( you register through email only). After everything was booked we arrived to the hotel.

Front Desk: Entrance is in front of beach. Check in was smooth and easy. We requested for a Cenote tour and had the available information. Much cheaper than what we been searching online. Forgot their names but very friendly and always saying Hola every time we walked in/out.

Room: Very Clean! Our room was right behind the front desk. I was worried that it might be too loud but we went during the low season so it was not an issue. The beds were hard but I asked the housekeeping to give me 3 layers of foam mattress toppers. It helped a LOT! No issues at all except for bathroom which is my fault. I didn't know Mexico has a low water issue. The bathroom didn't flush but little did I know i had to hold the handle down a little bit longer. Fridge stocked with water and beer. Has basic cable tv and a little balcony. A/C worked fine. I really enjoyed the towel art every day.

Restaurant: OMG! Where do I start?!?! I have to say they have THE BEST COCONUT SHRIMP & Ceviche ever! The reviews do NOT lie. I was sorta hesitant about the reviews online since my palate is different and figure it may gear towards american palates only. I was wrong! I ordered the coconut shrimp at least 3x during my stay. It is really the best thing I have eaten in my life. Jumbo shrimp battered in a coconut milk liquid, coconut flakes,fried, and paired with broccoli and mango puree. Delish! Now the ceviche is VERY good as well. My husband had various ceviche prior to this trip and he says this is the BEST ceviche. The right sourness and saltiness. Also he LOVES the fish taco. He is very particular on fish taco as that is one dish he loves. He said it was perfectly seasoned and cooked. He enjoyed it very much. On top of this, there was complimentary breakfast with your stay. We enjoyed the breakfast and it was filling. It's your typical american breakfast and very yummy. I have to say I am not a fan of beans but the breakfast at times comes with refried beans. I had a little taste and it was very good and devoured it. We ordered drinks and they were good as well. The service was Superb! Juan was our waiter on some days and he is fantastic. Everyone else was very very friendly.

Location: Smack on the beach front and love it! There wasn't much a beach since it was washed away but that was not an issue. It's not the hotel but mother nature. We utilize the loungers and love that it is reserved for hotel guests as a priority. There was probably 3 other guests during our stay so we had no issues with loungers. It was low season and loved the quiet area. It is 1 block away from 5th avenue so great location.

Overall, we LOVE this place and will definitely return. Great price for the location, superb service from the owner to the workers, and really recommend this place. I had friends who visited Tulum, MX in July 2013 and I requested for them to have lunch at PM. They stopped by and ordered the coconut shrimp and said the same thing. They LOVED the coconut shrimp.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Lilpbc
Savage, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Our first time at this resort in Playa. Have stayed on 3 other occasions in an All Inclusive in PDC but were looking for something different..To walk just steps to the sand was amazing. The included breakfast Was all we needed until dinner, with numerous options for food and drink on 5th ave. The fridge in the room was very cold. Walked to Wallmart for Beer and Rum. The hotel provide a litre of bottled water every day which was a nice touch. Lunch was served at the hotel as well until 6 pm with a great menu. The coconut shrimp was out of this world. We stayed in room 202 with a lovely view of the ocean from our balcony and beautiful sea breezes that we enjoyed every night.
The beach was tight, as chairs were very close together, but included umbrellas. We were able to meet many wonderful people.
Service was friendly and very unobtrusive. We were treated amazingly by all the staff including Aniceto on the beach. He was willing to do whatever we needed. Carlos and Juan, our waiters each day were so kind and always with a smile on there face. Pablo at the front desk gave us numerous options for fun in town, and Fidel kept our room spotless along with beautiful towel art everyday.
We are planning our next vacation to Playa Maya right now and this time we will stay longer then a week. Loved everything about our stay. Thank you to Steven Ryberg who has hired the best staff ever .Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Room Tip: second or third floor with the ocean view and sea breezes were worth a little extra money.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple