We stayed at Playa Maya for the second time this past May. Our stay this time was for 12 nights. We loved it for the first time last year, and loved it just as much this year.
The location is perfect for us. It is directly on the beach and within walking distance of everything we enjoy in town. Yes, you can only get to the hotel via the beach but its not an issue as the workers from Playa Maya are close at hand to carry your luggage through the sand and to your room.
As far as the beach goes, our first day there was not much beach at all, in fact we had only a small strip of sand to walk on to get to the hotel, however, by noon the next day the beach had been restored and the rocks had been covered. The beach at that point was fantastic and stayed that way our entire vacation. It just goes to show that the beach comes and goes and thats just mother nature so not sure how someone can complain about it.
The staff at Playa Maya is amazing. Juan and Carlos were our waiters most days, and they were as attentive as you wanted them to be. The rest of the staff is just as great from the front desk crew, to the cleaning people, to the gentlemen that carried suitcases and put the loungers out each day. We were lucky enough to be there when one of the owners was in town, and she made a point of finding every guest and introducing herself to them and making sure their stay was satisfactory. In fact, she made a point to stop by and say hi every day she was in town. Little things like that make a big difference.
We eat a lot of our meals out as there are so many great restaurants in Playa, but the few meals we did eat there were all very good; especially the coconut shrimp.
The rooms might be considered basic but they are spotless, big, and bright. We have stayed in the deluxe and superior rooms. The air conditioning works great too. We also enjoyed sitting on our balcony.
There was some construction at the hotel next door that had been going on before we got there but we didn't see or hear anything going on there until our last two days of vacation and even then it wasn't anything noisy at all.
Yes, the pool is small but big enough to cool off in if you wish.
I also really appreciate the night guard to make sure only guests are coming in at night, however it is very safe around the hotel. There are a few locals and vacationers that might be sitting on the beach enjoying the evening or around the lifeguard station enjoying the beach, but thats it.
All in all, it was another great stay at Playa Maya and will most certainly return again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Maya is right on the beach and centrally located, just 1 block from 5th Avenue, the heart of activity in Playa del Carmen. Our unusual off-street location and beach-only entrance make us a very tranquil base from which our guests can easily explore all the shopping & nightlife of Playa, along with the other wonders of the Riviera Maya. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Ebookers and Expedia so you can book your Playa Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Maya Del Carmen
- Playa Maya Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen