My husband and I came to Playa for a week in August. I spent a lot of time reading these boards to try and decide where to stay and what to do. Everyone seemed to really like Playa Maya. It also seemed that there was a lot of repeat business and I love that.
You can't beat the price of Playa Maya...considering $160 was for the best Ocean View rooms that is fantastic. I emailed Steve and he gave us an amazing room on the 3rd floor. (302). It was exactly like the pictures online. The room was spacious and clean with complimentary welcome drinks in the fridge. When we arrived it was early and the room wasn't quite ready yet so we went outside to eat. Now I had read a lot about the food everywhere and I knew that while I was there I would be trying the coconut shrimp and the fish tacos. On day 1 I chose the Coconut Shrimp with a Dos Equiis and my husband had the chicken tacos. The food was amazing! The service was also top notch. Very attentive and friendly.
Throughout the week we sporadically spent time in the beach chairs at Playa Maya and ate lunch or a snack there 4 times. I never had a bad meal. The fish tacos were everything I hoped they were and I really love their Pico De Gallo--so fresh.
The staff was so helpful to us and we got to meet Steve who was really nice and had a lot of great information. I would absolutely stay here again.
I just want to address a couple things people complain about...
The bed.....we loved it. I do not think it is hard at all...makes me wonder if those people are used to super crazy soft beds? We both thought it was great.
The beach in front...yes there are some rocks right in the front..actually great for when you are staring at the ocean...noone is right in front of you! All you had to do was walk about 50-60 feet in either direction and there is completely clear water. My husband did a lot of snorkeling out front and he saw all kinds of stuff including a baby octopus!
I love this place! My ONLY complaint....that the restaurant is not open late enough ! (I will add photos later)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Maya is right on the beach and centrally located, just 1 block from 5th Avenue, the heart of activity in Playa del Carmen. Our unusual off-street location and beach-only entrance make us a very tranquil base from which our guests can easily explore all the shopping & nightlife of Playa, along with the other wonders of the Riviera Maya. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Playa Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Maya Del Carmen
- Playa Maya Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen