“The best everything... service, location, food, views” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Playa Maya
Ranked #91 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Union, NJ
“The best everything... service, location, food, views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2010

I selected Playa Maya to celebrate my 50th birthday based on the reviews of this website. And I wasn't disappointed. It really has it all... large, clean rooms with great views of the beach at an affordable price point. And if that wasn't enough, you get friendly and efficient service, a wonderful beachside restaurant, and a terrific location.

To celebrate my birthday, I brought along my partner, 8 other gay men, and 2 straight women. I was a little worried how we would be received since this isn't considered a gay hotel. But we were treated with the same great respect as all of the other reviewers had highlighted. (Actually, better than at some gay-owned hotels.)

Playa Maya really had all of my boxes checked. It's directly on the beach and a short walk to restaurants and shopping. And finally, there is nothing better than having your own cushioned chaise lounge on the beach (step away from your room) and a margarita at your side.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank philiphf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Playa Maya a couple of weeks ago and it was everything we'd read about it on trip advisor. It's a cute little hotel RIGHT ON THE BEACH! We litterally walked out of our room, through the pool area and out onto the beach! The service is excellent! The food amazing! You MUST try their Fish Tacos they are awesome! And the hotel is clean and well kept. The staff are professional, courteous and helpful. We'd like to thank them for a loveley stay! All our great waiters! and their wonderful chef! The breakfast that comes with the room is plentiful and excellent! The beach is gorgeous! Aqua blue water and white sand. It's kept very clean! Laying on a lounge chair looking out at the blue water can make the hours go by very quickly! The Hotel is a great value for the money. When you try to find the hotel, don't look for it from the street! The ONLY entrance is from on the beach down Calle 8. You'll see their sign. The isolation of it makes it even more special! When we go back to Playa we plan on staying here again! One other recommendation! We took a tour with a tour company called Alltournative, their "Jungle Maya" Tour! Excellent! Fun all day long! Check out their website! I think it's Alltournative.com

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank PhilandJulieMarko
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

Absolutely loved staying at Playa Maya, it's a great small hotel, perfect location right on the beach! Not lux, but clean and nice! Making reservations was no problemo, and Steven the manager was great (there was some 'back and forth-ness' via e-mail on my part, as to how many nights, room we wanted, etc. and he was very accommodating). ALL of the staff were just great, warm and professional. The rooms were kept clean (and yes the 'towel animals' were a fun surprise every day! I stayed there with my mom and sister and they absolutely adored all of the employees too. It was cool that the entrance was right on the beach, really intimate. I loved coming 'home' at night and slipping right in while the 'waves were lapping out quietly in front. The breakfast (which was included) was excellent, e.g. eggs, fresh fruit, what a nice bonus (and eating right on the beach was great)! We hung out right in front of the hotel most days and swam, eat, drank, read because it was SO relaxing!
There was an 'almost' hurricane (that never happened), and the staff were great, calm, and kept us in the loop about the whole thing!
You can get a massage at the hotel right on the beach, fantastico! If you want to stay at a 'laid back' smallish hotel, with a perfect location, not noisy, with an awesome staff, then Playa Maya is for you!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Volaregirl
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2010

Just came back from a stay at the most wonderful hotel in Playa. Do not hesitate to stay at Playa Maya! This was the best choice we made and love this hotel for many reasons. Location, employees, cleanliness and the fact it is right on the beach.

We arrived, were quickly checked in and on the beach within 15 minutes.
Room was much larger than others I have stayed in and the beds were very comfortable. Small refrigerator was stocked with different types of soda, a few beers and large bottle of water. Bathroom and shower was perfect size. Never had an issue with water pressure or hot water. I couldn’t get over how clean the room was. I always seem to find something wrong with a room and I could truthfully say I don’t have one complaint. Juan did a wonderful job keeping our room spotless and making the most beautiful towel art.

Every morning we sat on the deck by the pool and enjoyed a cup of coffee, checked our email and the walked a few steps to the beach for breakfast. The breakfast that is included in the room price is wonderful. Eggs, bacon/ham, toast or your choice of pancakes or waffles. I don’t remember everything that you can choose from but there are four different combinations. The best thing about this is you are right on the beach. Nothing like greeting the morning on the beach looking at the ocean for as far as you can see. Employees were very attentive and always were there with more coffee or juice.

Playa Maya is perfectly located. Close to everything, especially the hustle and bustle of 5th Avenue but far enough away from the evening noise. Right up the beach is Fusion and Bad Boys Beach Bar all within walking distance.

Employees and everyone we met was very friendly and greeted us by our names. Nora and Maria at the front desk always had a smile and the waiters couldn’t do enough for us. They anticipated our every need and were always available to answer any questions we had about Playa, dinner choice or nightlife.

There is a small pool but with the beach right there we didn’t use it. They were replacing the hot tub so we didn’t get to try that but will next time. Speaking of the beach the water was wonderful. Sand like flour and water was calm and peaceful. I didn’t come across any rocks or major seaweed. Umbrellas were placed strategically between the comfortable lounge chairs and drinks and food are brought to your chair whenever you want.

One thing I must mention is the owner of this wonderful hotel. Out of the blue a hurricane popped up two days prior to our trip and was headed for the Yucatan. The day before we were to leave he emailed me as well as personally called to let us know all fees would be waived if we would like to cancel and postpone our trip. He was very personable and genuinely concerned. Unfortunately or should I say fortunately our airline would not postpone our flight without a fee so we decided to go. Thankfully the hurricane was very small and turned a little further north so Playa was unscathed. Beautiful weather for our trip!

As soon as I got home he emailed me again to inform me that I left something in the room. How honest his employees are! He was so kind to notify me before I even realized it was not in my possession. The employees tried to come after us to give me the item but we were gone. We used Cancun Express to get to and from the airport and they were there waiting for us so we left immediately. Now he’s working on a way for me to get my items without having to pay an exorbitant fee for shipping internationally.

I can highly recommend this hotel for quality, honesty, cleanliness, attention to their guests, and location. I can’t wait to return!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
6 Thank Tmpy
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2010

We just returned from our stay at Playa Maya. The staff is incredible! I can't say enough about how great they are. Lucio, Pedro (Peter), Jose Luis, Carlos, Jesus, Anesito, Nora, Othman, Juan and Felipe made our stay unforgettable; I did not want to leave. I traveled with a friend and we had an economy room which was comfortable and fine for us since we basically used it only for sleeping (the beds were comfortable). It was fun to walk in everyday to see the new towel art - sometimes we hated to dismantle it because it was so pretty. Breakfast was included, and was very good, not your typical continental breakfast choices. The food and drinks are great. (Yes, the fish tacos and coconut shrimp are as good as everyone says, but we liked everything we tried.) The location is also wonderful, just a short walk from 5th street, but you feel miles away when you are relaxing in your beach chair looking out at the water. Loved it!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank susan040
Bonita Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2010

I stayed here with hubby 7-12th Sept. We have had the pleasure of visiting the Riviera Maya 15+ times and have always stayed in all-inclusives - this time decided to try something different. Had a wonderful experience here. Welcomed warmly and treated well from beginning to end, starting with communication with Steve beforehand, to farewell hugs from Nora on departure.

We were in room 301 with full ocean view (my idea of heaven!); spacious, clean with ample storage space, table and chair, flat screen tv ('tho don't ask me what channels, cos we only turned it on once..), small fridge (they restock a new large bottle of water each day) with welcoming couple of beers, water and soft drinks, (we kept it stocked with a couple of trips to Walmart for soft drinks, beer and wine) and internet access. The bathroom is small with one sink, shower - there is no A/C (venting is by slatted windows to the outside)(that was MY only dislike) and no storage space; however, I found by keeping the room door open, it cooled the bathroom and toilet bags were kept on the shelf in the room - problem (for me and hot flushes!) solved! For those interested in "towel animals" - some of the best I've ever seen; the mermaid...wow! And clean, clean, clean! There was also a small balcony with two chairs and a table - we enjoyed many a cocktail in the evening sitting out here:):)

Breakfast was more than adequate (included), coconut shrimp and azteca soup at lunch, wonderful and the margaritas (Alex made to MY specs:):) mmmmmm. Service was prompt, efficient and friendly all the time. ALL OF THE STAFF are to be commended.

The beach is glorious - with cushioned loungers (bliss), clear blue sea (at least at the time we were there) and wide stretch of white sand. However, because of local laws, cannot move loungers down to the ocean - there's an "invisible" line in the sand not far in front of the hotel. No problem, the view was great! An easy stroll on the beach in the evening to listen to the music at Fusion, Bad Boys or Zenzi, (and on return as well)then out for dinner - would recommend El Fogon, Carboncitos and Babe's (very reasonable and good food).

Thanks to all at Playa Maya - a very enjoyable and "different" experience from our previous Riviera Maya trips. We hope to return.......

If anyone has any specific questions, please PM me - Cheers! Margaret

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bridgenut
Annapolis, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

What can I say, having been everywhere in the Caribbean and Central America I was apprehensive to stay in Mexico. Through the recommendations of a friend, they suggested Playa del Carmen. A little touristy, but close to a lot of things. Now, the most important decision, accommodations. Do we go all inclusive, boutique or somewhere in between. We are not big all you can eat people, or all the watered down drinks you can drink people. I spent about a week picking out possibilities and zeroed in on Playa Maya.

Playa Maya is a smaller hotel, with only 18 rooms. However, it is one of the only smaller hotels that is nestled right on the beach. Location, location, location. You are also about the midway point on 5th street, so right in the mix of it. However, you can't see it from 5th Street. This is good, because at night, you do not hear any of the noise from the local clubs or bars, which can be an issue with some of the places that back up to 5th. It is technically at the corner of 8th and 5th....but on the beach. Your cab can take you down to the beach, he just has to signal to the Cop that typically is directing traffic at the corner by that time of the day.

So, the amenities: We got a standard balcony and for 7 days it was $575 a pretty solid deal. Couple that with $600 for R/T airfare for two, it was a cheap vacation. The room was actually pretty big. Everyday, after the room service fixed up the room, we found a new towel animal. My wife loves these, I could take it or leave it. We still had a partial ocean view, even though we did not pay for one.

The staff, I would say, is the second part of this equation that really made this an awesome trip. They are all really nice, and we especially enjoyed Lucio who was our waiter at the restaurant on the beach and the front desk staff. Don't worry about not speaking Spanish down here, most of them speak adequate English. You will not find a better place to eat, especially for the price, than the little beach restaurant at Playa Maya. You should really try the Octopus Tacos, they were phenomenal. It is opened everyday until 6pm. They will also bring you out food and drinks to your chairs if you desire.

Every room comes with a daily continental breakfast. It is not what you would consider an "American Continental" breakfast (ie: an apple and muffin). It is in fact a full breakfast, eggs, meat, toast, potatoes and of course some type of pico di gallo. If you like habinero (which I do) you will love PdC, as it comes with every meal.

Another important note, the section of the beach Playa Maya is on is perfect as there are not very many people there and they always had beach chairs open. What a lot of people fail to realize is the larger accommodations you stay in (number of guests/rooms) the more people the hotel has to cram into a small section of beach. This was by far the number one complaint other travelers voiced to us while we were out on town. No problem here, as there are only 18 rooms.

You are also very close to the ferry to Cozumel; about a 5-10 minute walk.

The water is crystal clear. On the days we didn't have a near miss from a tropical storm, it was incredible.

They have a small pool, but it is mostly for decoration, no one ever gets in it.

I only have one con, and its not that big of one. Since none of the bathrooms have fans in them (typical for most hotels-fire hazard), they have vents that either open directly to the outside, or into the hallway. Our vent opened up right around the corner from the Check-in desk, so you can imagine mornings where I had just a little bit too much habinaro and beer; we usually just ran the water to mask any noise. Others in the hotel, must not have realized that and I'll just leave it at that.

Overall, I would say this hotel is perfect if you are looking for that quiet, beachfront and relaxing vacation. We had fantastic service and a great time. This is the first time my wife has ever said she would come back to the same hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple