“It is a good hotel”

Ranked #99 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Allen, Texas
“It is a good hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

I spent lots of time searching hotels around Playa Del Carmen area in Mexico, based on the good review, we finally chose this hotel. So my expectation is high. The hotel is good, there is nothing wrong. But it is also not a dream vacation as some reviewers said.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank hxxallen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2011

Wanted to take my wife and kids (9 & 6) to somewhere warm and with great beaches. Playa Del Carmen was great. What made the trip even better was staying at Playa Maya. What a fabulous small hotel on the beach! Incredible service. GREAT food. Clean rooms. Quiet evenings (good sleep). RIGHT ON THE BEACH. Pedro, Nora, and Maria in the front desk are awesome. Always willing to help you (they even helped me retrieve my lost phone in a taxi). The restaurant staff is outstanding as well. Luiciano, Sergio, Padro, Jesus, Carlos, etc were all excellent. Always having a smile on their face and providing excellent service. Breakfast is included in the room rate. This is not a toast and jelly breakfast - it is a eggs, bacon, pancakes, fresh fruit, etc type breakfast. Great tasting coffee too. My kids loved eating breakfast on the beach and when done going out and playing while my wife and I finished eating (we could always see them because you eat on the beach!). Pool is small but you do not use it due to the Ocean (which was warm by the way). I highly recommend Playa Maya. Booking with Stephen was easy. They help you when you arrive, clean rooms, and great food & location. Tip the workers well - they deserve it. By the Way - My wife and I always felt safe the entire week there. Note: Playa Maya is probably NOT the place for you if you are looking for some hard partying, etc. Probably need to hit Cancun for that. Enjoy!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank Teddison
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

Stephen, the hotel manager, is an absolute gentleman in the finest sense of the word. When emergency surgery forced our family to cancel our New Year's trip to Mexico, we knew that our hotel costs for the holiday week (over $2000) were non-refundable. Stephen was very understanding and immediately went to work trying to rent our rooms. He assured us that if the rooms could be rented at the last minute, he would refund the appropriate funds. He ran banners on their website offering the rooms at a discount and I got updates every few days. In the end, most of the rooms were rented and the hotel refunded virtually the entire amount to us. Unbelievable Customer Service! When I'm well enough to travel, we will definitely be heading to Playa Maya so that I can shake hands with these wonderful folks.

• Stayed December 2010
7 Thank Donna8708
Chciago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2011

We have been to The Playa Maya many times. This hotel for us is so comfortable that it is like our 2nd home! They exceed every expectation we have every time we are there. There is no better!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Springfield, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2010

Playa Maya is a great little hotel. The room was clean and adequately sized. The room view was gorgeous!! The food was the best we had the entire 8 days around Mexico. The fish tacos and ceviche are excellent!! The beach was perfect. We stayed in our lounge chairs almost our entire trip. We flew into Cancun and stayed at Playa Maya in Playa Del Carmen for 2 days then ferried to Cozumel for 6 days. If coming from Cancun, take the bus to Playa Del Carmen. The hotel is @ 2-3 blocks from the bus terminal (a very short walk). Don't spend $60 on a taxi ride. I have included a sign of the hotel so you can find it. The streets are well marked and the tourist area is on the smaller side so it is very easy to navigate after you are dropped off at the bus terminal.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
hove
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2010

I have to give props to playa maya. It's a well run little hotel right on the beach. I am always on the look out for a bargain and whilst you can get cheaper hotels in Playa ( a lot of the little B&B's go for around 45/50US$) I doubt you would get as good value for money and such a lovely setting.

I had a basic room at 100$ a night with 150$ discount for staying 7 nights. If there are 2 of you its very good value.

For me the main pluses were its location and value. Bang in the middle of the action , right on the beach yet secluded enough not to have to hear the 5th Ave hubbub.
Free drinks on arrival, free bottles of water, free sunbeds + towels, free internet, free breakfast (a good breakfast as well) on the beach feet in the sand under a palapa.
Pleasant staff.
My only critiscism was that despite me asking for a quiet room I was in one just around the corner from reception area which meant I had to hear people milling about in the morning. Pay a bit more and you might get a room on a higher level where noise shouldnt be an issue. That said I put a couple of earplugs in and it was fine.

In general I found Playa more touristy then I was used to. It's no Cancun but its still a major resort and not really a conventional town where the locals interact with travellers other then serving them at bars, shops and resturants. If you want to see some local colour get off 5th Avenue and go for a walk around. You will have wasted your time just hanging on the beach and seeing the very toursity 5th avenue. Saying that ,5th Ave has some suprisingly hip bars and restuarants

The beach is wonderful if a little crowded. For those who want something a little more chilled I would suggest a colectivo ride to Akumal down the coast where you can snorkel with turtles on palm fringed beaches. I also recommend a visit to Coba, some jungle ruins where yuo can pretend you are Indiana Jones and climb one of the temples.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank yazzman13
PlayaMaya, Public Relations Manager at Playa Maya, responded to this review, 27 December 2010
Greetings, and thank you for taking the time to post your comments here! We're very glad you enjoyed your time with us and our staff and that you also found us to be a good value, as well. We have tried hard to keep that last aspect in mind, as the area has grown and become developed (as you note) and prices have perhaps inevitably tended to rise as a result of that.

On that note, and just to clarify, well I don't know your identity for sure and so can't go looking through the correspondence to confirm anything on this point, but for the record, we don't have any Standard rooms on higher levels or that are not right around the corner from reception. That's one of the reasons those are Standard rooms, in the end, and come at that value price, and we do try to advise guests that these rooms may be more susceptible to noise issues, especially in any case where the guests indicate that that may be a particular concern for them. So just to clarify things on that point, and to say that we think your advice is excellent: if noise may be more of an issue for you, one of our superior or deluxe class rooms on an elevated floor may be worth considering.

Anyway, we'll be happy to book you into one of those or anything else that may appeal to you the next time, if you like! :-)
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2010

The Playa Maya was the perfect hotel for our stay in Playa del Carmen. The location was wonderful, right on the beach and only one block away from 5th Av. shopping. Our room was very clean and the towel art superb. We received a large bottle of water every day along with other refreshments. The bed was very comfortable, mush more so than the Mexican standard. The wait staff was excellent and attentive. The beach chairs were plentiful and comfortable. The beach was clean and wide. The decor of the hotel was striking with the blue and white. We did not get to use the pool but it looked beautiful.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple