“Entertainment Review” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #35 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Entertainment Review”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

We are newlyweds and by far the entertainment group kept us busy during our stay with many events like tequila tastings, how to make guacamole sessions, poker nights and all the poolside events like blackjack, surfboard standing and volleyball. This would be the only reason I would go back here, thank you to Alberto, Jorge, Jose, Denise, Jonathan, Diana, Victor and I'm sorry if I missed someone but they were all awesome. Oh and I need to post some amazing pictures of them so they need to update this app.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,275)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Playa Del Carmen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

A must stay!! everyone at the hotel is super accommodating. . excellent service all thr way around. daily activities thru out the day. very clean !!! my only complaint would be the internet connection
. wifi is a bit spotty but the hotel provides free in room calls to the usa .

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with AMResorts

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

This was our 3rd visit to Secrets Capri and this was my least favorite of the three times. We stayed from 11/02-11/09. While the food and drink remain excellent, the service was very good, the facilities have seen some decline from my past visits.
I can say we did not have a bad meal and the bar remains top shelf. The addition of the coffee bar on this visit was very nice. For the most part the service was excellent.
Now for the negative. The resort is starting to look dated and appears to be in disrepair from all the leaks that were visible after a day of rain. We had a leak right outside our room that was present all week. The water was mopped a few times a day but the leak was never fixed. This made the marble floor quite fun to navigate. The swim up bar was also closed the entire week. Really disappointing.
The resort was still nice despite it issues, just not as nice as in my past visits. I would go back if I could find a super deal but not at full price.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PPMJAY09
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I'm going to start this review by saying that we were married last year at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay in Jamaica and we absolutely fell in love with that place. Therefore, I'm not sure if my review is biased. Also, I can be very picky but I expect to get what I pay for. That said, here we go.

This was our anniversary trip and while I understand that many guests are celebrating something, it is nice to feel special. When we walked in the resort, we were greeted by a women with lovely towels and drink. Impressed so far! Then, I tried to check in. Disaster! First we had booked over six months before with specific directions not to be on a first floor. We spoke to a women and emailed with a specific room request and she said she would honor it. Well when we checked in we were told me received a complimentary upgrade, to a junior suite. Sounds good, right? Until you find out that you were upgraded from a beach view room on the 4th floor to a room facing a street on the first floor. Not an upgrade at all! When we said we did not want the upgrade and showed the women the printed email confirming our room request, she repeated at least TEN times, "This room is better." I hate confrontation, but to the surprise of my husband, I used my BIG girl voice and demanded that this was not an option. After two hours, TWO hours of sitting on the couch, we were called over and handed a card to a room on the fourth floor, still not the room confirmed, but told "It was a better room." Not really so since it too faced the front of the property. So therefore, checkin was a disaster!
When staying at Secrets Wild Orchid in Jamaica, we were made to feel like royalty. Our room was what we paid for, we were congratulated on our wedding, we were even given a free dinner on the beach. At Capri, our anniversary was not even mentioned and the anniversary package we were promised for getting married at a Secrets the year before was never honored. In fact, I had my wedding certificate and the coupon given for the free anniversary package and nights and I was told, "We don't need that!" I wanted to cry!

The room, minus the mishap at checkin, was very nice. It was clean, bed was very comfortable. Room service was fast and pretty good. The light switches were a little tricky to figure out and the water temperature was never very hot, many cold showers. No bueno!

Restaurants were good. Buffet breakfast was great and the hibachi was DELICIOUS! You have to have reservations to sit at the hibachi but if you don't you can still sit at a regular table, which is what we did. The food was absolutely OUTSTANDING! We were so impressed that we wanted to go back the next day and unfortunately, it was CLOSED! Seriously? Anyway, we had buffet and I was not too impressed. When we walked in the man said he had a very special table for us. I started to get excited until I realized he was trying to get us to spend extra money to pay for a table by the window with some special mind. I don't curse but I wanted to say. "Are you f'ing kidding me?" So disappointing. Overall, drinks were ok....a little watered down.

Ok....now to the beach. Again, not sure if I'm being picky but I was horrified. The water was not blue (which may not be the fault of the hotel, could have been that time of year or the weather). However, when we walked up and down the beach, there was so much trash everywhere. Maybe that was not considered the hotel's property but it was disgusting. The lounge chairs around the hotel looked old and beat up. Overall, the hotel needed repairs. At one point, I was sitting in the lobby and a huge drop of water fell on my head from the leaking ceiling. Also, in the lobby was a turtle pond. I am a turtle lover and was horrified by the dead black turtle in there that left a terrible odor in the lobby. Stupid as it sounds, it upset me.

When I go on vacation, I realize that everything is not going to be perfect. But this vacation was nothing but a hassle. It was extremely upsetting to me because we were celebrating our first wedding anniversary and I had high hopes. Now, I have a bad memory. Thank god for my adventurous husband. We spend as little time as we could in the resort and visited Chitzen Itza, Cozumel, and Isla Mujeres. All fabulous! A word of advice, don't pay for a tour. Take a $20 cab to Playa de Carmen and buy a ticket at the bus station. SO MUCH CHEAPER, especially for Tulum and Chitsen Itza. You can check the schedule online by googling the bus company name ADO. Or if you are braver, ask the men by the door to get you a golf cart to the front of the resort. Stand right there by the street and take public transportation. When we went to Isla Mujeres, they were trying to charge us $55 for a cab there and $65 back. We took public transportation bus for $3!!!! Ask them to drop you off at the super Cosco in Cancun and then take a $2 cab to the ferry. SO CHEAP!

Again, overall I would not return to this resort. While the entertainment staff is fabulous, there were just too many negatives. I should never want to cry on vacation! I travel to get away from stress. This was nothing but!!!!

Room Tip: Pay for the beach view and bring proof!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jessica L
Clyde, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

My wife and I just returned from a week at Capri. it is a great property with a great staff. Beach is a little plain but very nice soft sand with great service. Enjoyed the hotel very much. There are a few issues with leaking roof and walkways wet and slippery. While we were there the surf was very rough and washed away most of the south end of the beach and damaged a massage hut they had at that end. Loved the dinners that we had and it was great to have the room service as an option for those nights when we were just too tired to get dressed and go out after swimming and snorkeling. We did not ever get into the pool as we were on the beach whenever we could. My wife did get sick on the last day we were there. Also on the last day someone entered our room and her sandals were taken, not any thing of real value but frustrating. Even with the bad stuff this place is still worth the trip.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor jungle view and we could see the ocean
2 Thank cazz806
SCRE-Concierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review about your recent stay at Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun with us and the tripadvisor community.

We are glad to hear that your enjoyed your stay here with us and were able to experience the high quality of each service.

Hope to have the chance to welcome you back here at your home away from home.

Kind regards,

Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun.
Collinsville, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

First of all, staff is great, shout out to Denisse and Alejandro (They were awesome!), since I played a lot of volleyball. Also, Luis in room service, was great! However, not impressed by getting a sales pitch about their other resorts as soon as we walked on to the resort. Also, why is the jacuzzi tub only for one person, if this is an adult only resort? It needs a lot of maintenance and the electrical work is sketchy. The remote in the room worked half the time, which was inconvenient since it rained a lot while we were there. And, the sliding glass door to our balcony would not lock. This is not specific to just this resort, but all of the resorts need to invest in more blue rafts! Plus, we went to Excellence Riviera Maya last year, so this was a definite downgrade from that resort and our measuring stick for Mexico resorts.

However, the size of the resort was good, the drinks were good and the activities were good. All in all, it was ok. But, knowing what I know now, I would have spent a little extra money and went to Excellence again!

Baton Rouge, LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

My wife and I just completed our second trip to Secrets Capri and once again we were blown away. The staff is so service oriented and makes you feel at home! It rained several days while we were there but there was always something to do. Jonathan, Kevin, Denise and the rest of the entertainment crew will get to know you by name and keep everyone laughing. Victor at the breakfast buffet is the best and Rita makes one mean omelet! Overall a great trip and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: We loved our first floor room by the pool - easy access!
1 Thank T70817
Dear valued customer,

First of all we want to thank you for sharing your second experience here at Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun with all the tripadvisor community.

We're delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations and you had a blast with all the entertainment staff. We will share your positive comments with all the mentioned staff.

Hope to have the opportunity to pamper you once again here at your home away from home.

Warmest regards,

Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#56 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,660 reviews
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#47 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#27 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,859 reviews

Been to Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!