We arrived after a delayed flight from Gatwick on a Saturday evening with one of our Party's luggage missing (offloaded at Gatwick) so not in the best of moods but were greeted by the wonderful staff who did all that they could to ensure that we were straight into Holiday Mode.
We were shown to our rooms which were situated on the third floor on the South Side of the main building. Bed was enormous 4 poster with great mattress. Room was a fair size with mini bar and 32 " TV (why I would want to go to Mexico to watch TV is beyond me) Bathroom was a very strange layout with a glass doored WC looking out into the main bathroom and then through a large "service Hatch" into the main Bedroom area great if you are an exhibitionist but little privacy for anyone. Jacuzzi bath was holed and had been repaired but must have been made for midgets as I couldn't get into it!! I know that I need to lose weight but this was ridiculous!!
Shower was a good size but had very little pressure it needed a pumped system and two days we had no hot water only lukewarm.
Room was cleaned to a very high standard daily and also a turn down service in the evening with nice towel art on the bed.
Patio door didn't lock and patio furniture and general décor were very tired. The hotel is 10 years old I understand and it really needs some money spending on it. There was water ingression in many places throughout the whole complex and a musty smell in lots of areas.
The food was very very good well presented and as much as you wanted.
Pool area was outdated with a pretty small pool and not enough umbrellas to go around the loungers. A lot of the time senseless music was played through the garden speakers modern rubbish and after 3 days I managed to find the volume control behind the sound desk and took it down a few notches. There was then a different type of music thumping out at the bar or from the mobile system used by the entertainment crew for different activities.
Day time entertainment was very varied and mostly good and the service by the entertainers and poolside staff was excellent, however the evening entertainment was fragmented with no cohesion between the events which took place in the Lobby the Dining rooms and the Nightclub bar. You had to move around to follow the entertainment it would have been better to have a full variety show in the Ballroom every night so that we could dine and be entertained for the night in one place.
The one thing in the evening entertainment which was really annoying was the inclusion of the daytime animation team in the shows. Get people to stick to what they do best with the daytime sports entertainment and leave musicians and dancers to do what they do best which is entertain. The team were trying continuously to do silly dances on the dance floor which emptied as soon as they put these records on. They tried to grab people up and onto the dance floor and one thing I noticed was that the people were straight back to sit down again after the song they had been dragged up for. I felt that they could have had one person to introduce the show and the others stand down for the night and get ready for their great efforts in the daytime.
We realised that this was a 95% American destination Hotel when we booked and there are certainly some things that you wouldn't expect to see at more realistic 5 star hotels, they were very loud in the main although we met some lovely people as well from all over the USA.
Doesn't compare to other 5 star Hotels that we have stayed in but with a good facelift and change of evening entertainment could easily be up there. One other thing that did seem strange was the tipping culture like it was expected every time I know that tipping is compulsory in the USA but felt it was over the top here.
Would we go back? Probably not unless it had some changes
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun, a proud unlimited luxury resort has received special recognition from the esteemed readers of Condé Nast Traveler Magazine in Mexico and AAA as a Four Diamond Award resort. Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun was awarded the Best for Romance and Best Luxury-World by the 2008 TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice Awards. Only TripAdvisor's hotel awards represent the opinions of millions of travelers. The winners were determined by a combination of the highest traveler ratings and the TripAdvisor Popularity Index, a measurement of overall traveler satisfaction. Situated five minutes from exciting Playa del Carmen and a short 35-minute drive south of Cancun International Airport, the world's second largest barrier reef lies just offshore, while underground rivers, caves and jungles lure adventure-lovers. Bordered by sugar-white beaches and the brilliant, crystal clear Caribbean Sea, this Preferred Club, Unlimited-Luxury, adults-only oasis truly embraces beauty and splendor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Travelbag, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Mayan Riviera
- Secrets Cancun
- Secrets Capri Riviera Maya
- Secrets Hotel
- Secret Hotel
- Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun Hotel
- Secrets Playa Del Carmen
- Riviera Cancun
- Hotel Secret
- Capri Riviera Cancun