“Trip advisor”

GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Trip advisor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Spacious reception areas ,good size restaurants ,good entertainment teams. All staff polite.
Pool to small for number of rooms.
Old fashioned bedroom furniture and decor......bath too small and shower/ toilet facilities very cramped.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
SCRE-Concierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear valued guest.

First we wish to thank you for taking the time to review our resort, it is a pleasure to have been your host on your recent visit.

We also would like to inform you we are working harder every day to improve our services and exceed future guest expectations. On everyone's behalf we thank you for choosing us and hope to have you back very soon.

Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,309)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

For a vacation this resort was amazing! The staff made this resort incredible; every member of the staff was very attentive and willing to help with anything we needed. Every restaurant we ate at had amazing food and service. However, the restaurants are not set up for larger parties, but if possible they did try to accommodate us by putting tables together to sit all eight of my group at one table. We had four rooms and each one was amazing and we had no issues with the air conditioning, in fact my husband had it so low I sat on the patio most of the time. There is so much to do at the resort and the entertainment crew was amazing.

I traveled to the Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun for my wedding; my wedding group included my husband’s 90 year old grandmother. My husband’s grandmother had picked a beautiful spot overlooking the landscaping of the resort to sit while we met with our wedding planner. After the meeting we went back to find a staff member walking around with my husband’s grandmother showing her some of the nicer areas to sit, telling her about Mexico, and offering to get her a drink.

I did wait some time to write this review as the actual wedding planning was not a pleasant experience. The documentation and details of the wedding were not sent to me until about a month before the wedding, and the prices listed on the power points were not correct. Also day passes were required for all guests staying outside of the resort even though you pay for the reception dinner and cocktail hour for twenty guests (Note: the documentation sent to me states 30 guests, but it is only for 20 guests). Communication was difficult, it would take at least a week before my email would be answered and any questions about pricing would not be answered fully. I understand with most weddings you will have to pay extra for specific set ups, but not being able to get a straight answer about the total price became so frustrating that I decided to just go with the basics that were included in the Ultimate Wedding package, which does not include any of the flowers you see in the photos. In addition I had also asked my wedding planner at the resort to change the time I went to the salon and asked to arrange the resort photographer, included in the package, to not come until the reception as I had my own photographer coming for the wedding; however, none of these changes were made. We also never received our massage included in the wedding package, and the staff was not made aware of the time of our departure so we were not able to have the breakfast in bed the next day. That being said Abigail the assistant to my wedding planner, was in charge of setting up my wedding and she worked non-stop all day and did an amazing job! Even though I did not do a lot of extras with the wedding it was still amazing and the food was incredible.

In conclusion, even though the wedding planning was frustrating, the resort itself and the staff were amazing. I will definitely recommend this resort for a vacation; even with all the frustrations I still had an incredible time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Cari B

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

My husband and I recently spent 8 days at Secrets and couldn't have enjoyed it more. The service was top notch - beyond our expectations. We dined at poryofine ywice in their special private rooms, which were fabulous, and had the best service from Victor. The good was also amazing!

The pool and beach areas are both wonderful. We spent the first few days by the pool and them rented a palapa at the beach. $90 for 5 days - it was a steal and well worth it. Service there was also great. Carlos, who was our server by the beach all week, was fun and great - we never waited more than 5 mins for a drink.

The property is stunning. Would highly recommend doing the hydro therapy circuit at the spa, which looks out into the jungle area.

Room was beautiful and we had a concierge right outside our door to answer any questions we had.

Would 100% visit again. We miss it already!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank EBinAZ

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

This was our second trip back to the resort. Our first trip was our honeymoon. The food is amazing, the staff is the best we've ever had at any resort, and we are already planning our next trip back.

I love that it is adults only, and that there is a range of people at the resort. There are groups vacationing together, honeymooners and couples returning to celebrate their anniversary.

The atmosphere is so relaxed and happy. I did not have one stress the entire time we were there.

If you're looking for a resort where everybody is drunk and crazy the whole time, this is not the resort for you. If you're looking for a resort where you can eat, drink and be happy, book it now.

And don't even get me started on the spa. Best massage I've ever had!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Skoggle

CLINTON TOWNSHIP, MI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

This was our fourth trip to Mexico in the last 5 years and of all the resorts we stayed at, this was our least favorite. We came with two other couples to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary. I think what the resort lacks in many areas, they try to make up in customer service (shout out to Alex from the entertainment team, Juan at the pool bar Uribe at the buffet inside and Charlie at the beach/pool!!!) and while great service is nice it should be automatic given the amount of money this trip cost us. I'll break down the good and bad in sections below.

Arrival / Check-In

The usual; you're greeted with a glass of champagne and a cool scented towel. Check-in was fairly quick. We elected to upgrade to an ocean view room which ran an extra $50/night.

Room

The ocean view room was clean and as expected, although I'm not sure it was necessarily worth the extra $50/night considering it didn't put us RIGHT on the water given the lay-out of the hotel. We didn't realize at the time we checked in but our room was very close to the Desires Bar, which is the only place that's open late at the resort (1am). Every night we could hear the music from the bar until it closed at 1am and many nights, they had the door open which made the music even louder in our room. Had I known this was the case I would've asked for a room in a different location of the resort; the music pretty much forced us to stay up until the bar closed every night. At the time of booking, my travel agent informed me that room service left complimentary small cans of Pringles and M&M's in your room each night; we never saw any snacks left in our room.

Lack of A/C

The first three days of our trip were extremely warm and humid, which we expected, and the last three days it rained. Those first three days were miserable in nearly all the indoor areas of the resort because the A/C just wasn't doing any good. Every restaurant we went into was so hot that I was sweating as soon as I sat down. Kind of disappointing that I couldn't fully enjoy any of my meals because I was so focused on trying to stay cool and constantly wiping the sweat off my face. My feeling is if you're going to make men wear collared shirts and pants to dinner that it should be cool enough in the restaurant for them to be comfortable as well. Our room was pretty humid which made sleeping very uncomfortable those first three days. Once things cooled down a bit outside things were a little more manageable but not 100%.

Pool

Pool area was very nice; small and contained to one area, which we liked. People do tend to save the rafts early in the morning but it was never an issue to us and we usually wound up with a few of them for our group once people left the pool for lunch or to go to their rooms.

Hit and miss. Breakfast was always standard each morning at the buffet. I love crepes and never get them anywhere at home so I took full advantage of eating those every morning. Lunch at the buffet was lacking, maybe because most people were eating out by the pool/beach? We really enjoyed lunch at the Seaside Grill when we dined in there; unfortunately we were never able to eat lunch at the taco/ceviche bar because of the rain the last 3 days. My favorite place to eat was Portofino, hands down! The Hibachi grill was very good (the fried rice was the best I've ever had!); however, it did concern me when I saw them bring out the chicken and steak on the same plate (salmonella anyone?). Least favorite food came from room service. We ordered twice; first time my husband tried the chicken tortilla soup and the flavor was awful. He also had a club sandwich and said it wasn't very good. Second time we both ordered pizza, thinking that it would be the same wood-fire pizza they serve poolside but it wound up being a crappy frozen pizza. VERY disappointed about that. On a side note; poolside food selection is at a bare minimum if it looks like rain is coming. My friends had calamari once, loved it and couldn't get it again after that. I really enjoyed the coffee cafe; they made super tasty frozen coffee drinks and had warm pretzels!

Activities

The Activity staff was really wonderful. They were always trying to get people to participate with them. On the days that it rained, we sat down in the Desires Bar and hung out. They had lots of board games available, movies playing on the screen, 2 pool tables, darts, dancing lessons, card games, ping pong etc. It was nice to have something to do with the weather being so crappy.

Drinks

Hit and miss. There was definitely not consistency between the bartenders. Juan at the pool bar was one of our favorites and he made good drinks every time! My BIGGEST complaint is the warm beer. I'd say I only had cold beer 20% of the time which really put a damper on things for me. I can only drink so many fruity sweet drinks and when I'd try to switch to beer (especially if out at the pool) it was near impossible to get one that was cold. Maybe that's a play to get people to drink less, I don't know...in any case, it was very frustrating for me.

Beach

BEAUTIFUL! Probably one of the best things about the resort. Very clean and constantly being cleaned by staff. Clear blue water, perfect size for this resort.

State of Resort
This was probably one of the most concerning things for me. As I mentioned, it rained the last 3 days of our trip and the more it rained, the more apparent it became how much this resort is falling apart. There were towels all over the resort on the floors to catch leaking water. By day 3 (day before we left) I was growing worried that the walls were going to cave in at some point. I remember walking upstairs to our room (3rd floor) and seeing the walls leaking from the ceiling all the way down the wall and leaving puddles on the floor. Leaks were coming from ceiling vents, light fixtures (some that were hanging crookedly after noticeable patch jobs)...you name it. I realize the weather in this area can wreak havoc on the structures but this was beyond anything I've seen before.

One last bit of info...

The day before we left my friend was in the gift shop and I was sitting in the seating area right outside where the excursion reps are located. I happened to look down under the table because I saw an empty Styrofoam cup someone had left down there and right next to it was...a dead cockroach. I have NEVER seen that before at a resort. I know they're around but I've never seen one out in the open like that before. I was disgusted and didn't know what to do. I didn't want to make a big deal about it to my husband and friends because I knew they'd flip and it would probably ruin our last night at the resort so I didn't say anything to anyone.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room AWAY from the Desires Bar (located off the pool) unless you plan on being a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Candykid20

PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

We just returned last night from this awesome property. Beautiful resort, great food and OUTSTANDING staff. I can't even begin to describe this fabulous resort. From the welcome at the airport to housekeeping to the ENTIRE staff, we were treated like royalty! Highlights: the beautiful beach, fantastic pool, great food, Coco Cafe. Our favorite waiter Dmas - unbelievably gracious!! The aqua show at the pool Wednesday nite was not to be missed!! Wonderful times - cannot wait to go back!!!!

Room Tip: Room upgraded to ocean view. Room 527! Felt like I was in the penthouse!!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dg45

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Picked this resort as the couple we travelled with like smaller resorts. It was our second Secrets resort and it didn't disappoint. We've previously stayed a total of 9 weeks at Sandals and Secrets compares very well. Apart from 1 less than ideal meal we had a fantastic 2 weeks. Nice quiet room, always thoroughly cleaned and well stocked fridge and plenty of shower gel etc.
Really couldn't fault the place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike S

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,836 reviews
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#47 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,181 reviews

Been to Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!