“Good But Not Great”

Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Ranked #39 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 December 2008

Overall this is a nice place, though I would not say it is great.

Food- Somwetimes good, when very good the portions were small

Staff- Very good

Service- Good but slow

Bars- good

Pool- Very good and relaxing

Beach- Nice bit rocky with many sticks and debri

Activities- There is not muchtdo, took the shuttle into town for one of the nights

Rooms- Very nice

This is the first type of vacation that I have taken that is all inlcusive. I enjoyed it but not sure if I would do it again.

1  Thank screesaver32
Write a ReviewReviews (10,146)

Reviewed 1 December 2008

My wife and I had our honeymoon at the Secrets Capri 4 years ago - and we returned for some much needed re-charging of the batteries in late November. Not much has changed at the resort in that time.....a new spa, and a new beachside dining area - otherwise, it's the same great place.

I normally write a good, bad and ugly review - but there really isn't any bad or ugly, so I'll just hit some highlights and observations here.

The Spa - Definitely over-priced for treatments, but you can bargain them down considerably. Even their daily advertised "specials" can be bettered - just push. They also gave us 'free' access throughout our stay to the common areas of the spa - the steam room, sauna, showers, therapy pools, etc etc. It's a very nice spot - and worth a visit - but I sense they are struggling and people are not using the facilities.....everyday they were pushing, calling on the phone, visiting the pool and beach areas with 'today-only' deals, etc. Take advantage.

Restaurants - They were all good. It was great that you could go to any restaurant on any night - no reservations required and no limit to the number of times you visited any particular place. All of our meals were very good - our personal favourite was Himitsu (Chinese, Japanese, Sushi and Teppanyaki) - service was great too.

Tipping - Like some other reviewers have mentioned, this really seemed hit and miss.......I'm sure it was appreciated but we couldn't tell from the service experience we received. Whether we tipped the bartender on every drink - or we didn't tip at all, they responded to our needs just the same - which was excellent.

Other 'Stuff' - The pool is partitioned into 2 separate swimming areas - one side is heated and one not. I think in the 10 days we were there, we saw 1 person in the non-heated side....it was COLD. Even the heated side was iffy on some days - but someone found the thermostat and cranked it up in time for the US Thanksgiving holiday and influx of guests. Similarly the outdoor "hot tub" was luke at best until Thanksgiving - and then hit an appropriate warmth. Even the showers in the guestrooms were luke warm at best - after a day in the sun and the afternoon cooling, it's always nice to have a hot shower before dinner.....unfortunately our room didn't have a 'hot water' option.
The onsite concierge on every floor is a great idea in theory - but I think we saw our concierge twice in our 10 day holiday. We couldn't even find her when we went looking - so we used the one in the main lobby.
Lots of talk in here about the beach - and some fair criticism. Seems there has been some erosion in the Secrets area - which made for a delicate entry into the water - rocks, roots, etc cover the area as you enter and difficult to navigate. The actual sandy beach is narrow near the Secrets but widens as you walk to the south - not sure how far you can walk in that direction, but we went for 45 mins in that direction before turning around and there still seemed to be miles of beach to walk. Heading north only provided about 15-20 mins of walking, then you hit a private beach area at the 3 Rivers Resort (and a lifeguard to inform you) - and immediately after an impassable area where the rivers feed into a swamp area/ocean. (apparently crocodiles in there).
Nightlife is fine - for middle of the Mayan Riviera they put on a decent show. I don't think you should expect Vegas glitz or polish - but if looking for some entertainment around 9 pm every night, give it a go.

All to say, tough to go wrong at the Secrets Capri - very relaxing - lots to do if you want to - easy to find chairs, palapas, etc. Enjoy!

4  Thank harvman
Reviewed 30 November 2008

My wife and I stayed here 11/4/08-11/10/08 for our honeymoon, and chose this resort after word of mouth and glowing Trip Advisor reviews. We were not disappointed, and as long as you understand that this resort is better for a relaxation vacation than an active vacation, you should enjoy your stay. The resort is about 45 mins south of the Cancun airport and there was no problems with the transfers. We stayed in a junior suite, without a view. While there was really no view to speak of, most of the "ocean view" rooms really overlook the central pool area, which overlooks the ocean, and we preferred the privacy. The room was very nice and the maid service, several times a day, was terrific. The bathroom was nice, and the shower was great, but the tub was very small and if you are a larger sized person, you would not be able to be comfortable in it. Room service was a bit of a disappointment, but with the daily food offerings, we really didn't find much need for it. The food offerings are diverse and available throughout the day, and we had few, if any complaints about the food, unusual for an all-inclusive resort. The main draw to the resort is the central pool area with a swim-up bar- it is a lovely pool. Poolside drink/food service is spotty- with all the service, we found people didn't go out of their way to see if they could help you, but if you saw an employee and asked for something, they would take care of it immediately. Drinks were tasty and made with your choice of liquor, but the drinks were not strong, and tipping didn't change that. The first day we were there, we noticed no one was on the beach. The beach itself is pretty, but when I actually went in the water, the ocean floor was extremely rocky. The next day, I noticed workers at the beach loading rocks from the beach floor into wheelbarrows. The following day, I went back and the beach was smooth and enjoyable. There are some limited activities available (yoga, dancing lessons) but we did not partake of them. Snorkeling, scuba, fishing involved tours leaving the resort, and we were content to stay put. In the evening, there was usually a show or performance, but it was mediocre. My only real disappointment was that the pool was closed in the evening, so no night swimming. The resort was too quiet at night- most people had a late dinner and enjoyed sipping cocktails at the indoor bars. Not much else going on in the evenings. The town of Playa del Carmen is a quick $14 USD cab ride and is a nice diversion for the evening- there is a nice pedestrian walk with touristy souvenir places. The spa services were nice, and while not cheap, I felt that we got good service and value for what was offered. The best part is that it is an easy already planned out vacation- you really didn't need your wallet or need to know Spanish or need to exchange money the whole time. If you are looking for a getaway where you can lie out in the sun and don't have to make decisions, this is a great place. If you are looking for non-stop action, loads of water activities, and dancing until dawn, then this may be a bit too laid back and quiet for you.

2  Thank Joshdent
Reviewed 30 November 2008

For the second part of our honeymoon my wife and I had a 7 night stay at The Secrets Capri.

We had a perfect stay at the resort. We were greated with champagne. The front desk explained everything when we checked in and the bellboy explained everything when we got to the room.

The room was fantastic and was always spotlessly clean.

The restaurants were great, from the buffet to the Italian, the food was fantastic and the staff were always friendly.

We would defintly recommend taking a trip down to the spa, we found it really relaxing.

The beach was great and when the sea was a bit choppy we found the pool to be really good as well. Usually the pool was a bit busier than the beach though.

Every staff member was always more the helpfull and polite and I would recommend staying at this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2008
2  Thank Monk007
Reviewed 30 November 2008

Stayed at the resort for a week, overall found the accommodation and staff lovely.

Beach and surroundings were clean and well maintained.

This is not a resort for those who like lively nightlife, we were in bed by 10 most nights, stayed up for a show once, but was not great to be honest!

Food overall was good, but found that it was often cold or luke warm, portions were fine though.

Drinks were of high standard and mini bar was a added bonus!

Didn't use the spa as found it really over priced - we were also not given a credit, as mentioned in pervious reviews - the staff are also quite pushy for you to use it - with reps wandering pool side and lobby bar.

We tried all resturants and found the steak restuarant the best - the Italian was not great to be honest.

Overall a good stay with the majority of staff friendly and helpful - a week was certainly enough though!

1  Thank charaia
Reviewed 30 November 2008

I stayed at Secrets Capri Oct 2 2008 for business. I found the resort very charming and the wait staff are excellent. It has the look and feel of a hacienda. Upon arrival you will be greeted with champagne and a cold towel to freshen up while waiting for check in. The resort looked immaculate and the food is above average. I'm an early riser and like to see the sunrise by 6-7 you see everyone working very hard to maintain the resorts cleanliness. The upstairs cleaning staff can be seen in the morning actually moping the marble floor hallways.. As you can tell CLEAN is very important to me.. lol

Room: average size room, bathroom and also balcony. The bed is VERY comfortable and the beddings are nice quality. I had a tropical or garden view and but can still see the ocean partially.

Food: The food was great and even picky eaters will find something to their liking. Himitsu was awesome and had a lot of fun with my co-workers. The mexican restaurant La Riviera was also very good, we had dinner there and then morning breakfast buffet. (tip: try the bacon and the french toast!!!). The Seaside Grill is a must try, especially the crab rangoon YUM!!!! You will also find plates of finger foods, desserts etc. by the lobby bar for a quick snack.

Nightly: Desires lounge bar was a lot of fun. They had karaoke at night and also some dance music afterwards. I also enjoyed the Tequila tasting that was held in Desires ( creama de tequila was a new found fav!!)

Spa: The spa is beautiful, serene and looks very inviting. I did not personally try it but was able to get a whole spa tour from one of the service managers. I will post some of the spa pics but could really not comment on the service. One of the ladies in my group did try it 2x ( 2 different treatments) and said it was worth it!!!

Beach: It was clean, water was warm but not as clear and light colored as the Maroma beach but was still nice. There's staff service all over the beach area. You can also order food and drinks from your lounge chairs.

~towels are in abundance and will not have to give a card or id to get them. The resort does not have the bracelet policy and will not have to go around for days with a plastic bracelet on your wrist. You can also eat at the a la carte restaurant as many times as you wish (which is a big plus for me!)

Pool: the pool area is very pretty. The swim up bar always busy but did not really wait too long to get my drinks.

I enjoyed my stay here immensely and would return when I get the chance. It is smaller than Secrets Maroma and Secrets Silversands but equally as impressive.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank chynname
Reviewed 29 November 2008

As for this hotel I must say I had a very nice time solely due to the fact that I refuse to allow anything to ruin my vacations. I must say though that this hotel is very overrated and that I would continue searching if I had a chance to do it over again.

If it wasn’t for the attentiveness and polite personnel I would rate this hotel a 2.

Problem one, I paid for and was promised a Jr. suite with an Ocean view, that didn’t happen. I received a pool side view (Personally I believe that there a maybe only 4-6 ocean side view rooms at this hotel) and given the excess that the hotel was booked-up (What about restitution?).

Secondly, the walkway-entrance to our hotel room #170 smelled like raw sewage during our complete stay. No problem, just hold your nose and run.

Thirdly, while swimming in the ocean I was stung by a String way and simply asked at front desk is there anything I should do about this. Their response; “Can’t help you, why don’t you go to the gift shop”. What did they think I wanted to buy a T-shirt? PS after a little pain and anxiety everything worked out.

As for food at the poolside, forget it between 5:00-7:00 pm, all you’ll hear is you’ll have to go to your room and order room service.

Last but not least, this $ 100.00 spa credit given to each room, what a joke & sales gimmick. You are only allowed to use $ 50.00 per person, per room and a spa-message cost $ 160.00

So to sum it up, had a good time, because any getaway is great and enjoyed the company of good friends. Hotel personnel, I give you a thumbs-up, hotel management thumbs-down.

2  Thank LoveToTravelBuffalo
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto

Been to Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!