“Great Honeymoon! Live up to the previous reviews”

Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Ranked #40 of 210 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersBronze level
mandriot
“Great Honeymoon! Live up to the previous reviews”
Reviewed 8 December 2008

We booked our honeymoon through a travel agent so of course she is only going to say good things about the location but I researched myself. I read several reviews on Trip Advisor about Secrets Capri and the trip definitely lived up to it's expectations. The resort was beautiful, clean and the staff was there for whatever you wanted. I have never been to an all-inclusive so it took a little while to get used to getting up from the table and leaving without a bill. The other guests were very friendly and we meet some great new friends. Jorge, the bartender at the pool, was the best. I can't say enough good things about Secrets Capri and I will definitely plan on returning to this resort and/or another Secrets property in the future.

The only thing that was a bummer but was a very minor one, it the fruit wasn't as fresh as I wad hoping but I got over that pretty quickly with everything else to property had to offer. The reps that you purchase excursions from are a little overbearing but they are not employees of the hotel and it is a little expected. We went deep sea fishing one day and the rep told us is was a great time to go for sail fish and that everyone was catching stuff now but once we got there, the captain of the ship said it was slow season and out of 6 boats, only 4 sail fish were caught. A little disappointing. We also went to Chichen Itza and were told it was a 2.5 - 3 hour drive but it was really 4 hours after picking up everyone at other resorts which made it a 13 hour day. The ruins were beautiful and the cenote was amazing so it made up for it. If you want to see ruins, I would recommend a half day trip to Tulum.

• Liked — The friendly atmosphere of staff and fellow guests
  • Disliked — The fruit wasn't very fresh but overall, it wasn't a big deal
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,401)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 December 2008

I stayed at the Secrets Capri for my honeymoon. We were married at the Iberostar Tucan which is about a 30 minute car ride from Secrets. By far the best part about Secrets is the food. I could not get enough. My husband and I sometimes ate 4-5 meals a day as well as room service because it was so phenomenal.

The beach was terrible. The beach at the Iberostar where we got married was crystal clear blue waters and one of the prettiest beaches I had ever seen. 30 minutes down the road at Secrets you had ugly, brown, cloudy water and seaweed. I was extremely disappointed by the beach.

The pool was very nice, however. It did rain every day we were there so it was hard to enjoy it, but I would have spent a lot of time in the pool had it been sunny and nice.

Overall I did enjoy my stay at Secrets because of the food and the upscale decor. The lobby was very nice although it reminded me of a Ritz Carlton which is a bit stuffy for me. There was not a whole lot of entertainment options at Secrets, although we did attend a comedy show one evening. Older people pretty much dominated the hotel, although there were quite a few honeymooners as well.

I did not find Secrets as enjoyable as the Iberostar Tucan, and the Tucan was about half the price. I am glad I did spend my honeymoon there rather than the Tucan due to the fact that you didn't have lots of families around at Secrets. Overall it was an enjoyable experience but I would not recommend it for young couples or anyone looking for a great beach vacation.

• Liked — AMAZING food and restaurants, extremely pretty hotel and room, great pool, excellent staff, top shelf drinks
  • Disliked — ugly beach, stuffy atmosphere
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lchyman
Iowa
Reviewed 2 December 2008

The Secrets Capri was more than it was described to be in tripadvisor, Orbitz, and the Secrets website.
The facilities were outstanding and well cared for. Everything was very clean.
The pool area was beautiful and a great place to relax for the day. Numerous pool side waiters were available to handle drink and food orders. They also served the expansive and well cared for beach and surf areas. Beach volley ball, boche balls, water aerobics, yoga and other entertainment venues were available and well organized by the staff.
The many ala carte restaurants served world class food and were a welcome change from the typical buffets. We had only one evening when we had to wait 10 minutes for a table.
The staff was amazing - always friendly, helpful and had a smile. Each floor has its own concierge to assist in any way possible.
Guests ranged from honeymooners in their early 20's, to anniversary couples in their later years. My wife and I are in our mid-50's and felt perfectly at home and in place amongst the other guests.
I would recommend Secrets to anyone.

• Liked — Restaurants
  • Disliked — distance to off-site points of interest
4 Thank DLivy
Vancouver WA
Reviewed 2 December 2008

Had a great time Thanksgiving week at Secrets! My husband and I stayed at the El Dorado 3 years ago and would choose Secrets Capri as a better fit for what we like!

Drinks: Much better drinks, more top shelf liqour and would make them as strong or a weak as you wanted. They also had a drink menu so you could try something new!

Beach: I know some people have complained about the beach, but I thought it was great, espeically compared to El Dorado, which has huge rocks which make hard to swim and huge sand bags 100 ft out which wreck the view. Yes, there were a few small rocks for your first step in but after that was nice and sandy with a beauitful view. Pieces of wood did wash-up shore the first day due rough water, but were quickly picked up! Also, had great drink/food service on the beach by the time we had finished our drinks the server was there asking what we wanted next!

Size of resort: Its much smaller resort then most adult all-inclusive. Bars, resturants, bathrooms and rooms were close so you did not need to walk for 15 min to get were you wanted to go. Not really a huge deal but did make it more covenant compared to the El Dorado.

Television: Had many American/English speaking shows, so after a long day of drinking and playing on the beach could relax and watch TV before dinner. Also, had a "fun adult" channel, a fun extra for people on honeymoons, anniversary, and romantic-get-ways! :)

All in all, at great resort with wonderful food, service, amosphere drinks, etc. After reading trip advisor for months before going and reading the things people complained about I have come the conclusion that nothing would make these people happy!I guess if a few pieces of wood and a few mosquitoes would classify this a bad resort then you will have trouble finding any place to live up to your standards.

• Liked — Great beach, food and drink, spa
  • Disliked — nothing
5 Thank Love_the_Beach088
USA
Reviewed 1 December 2008

Overall this is a nice place, though I would not say it is great.

Food- Somwetimes good, when very good the portions were small

Staff- Very good

Service- Good but slow

Bars- good

Pool- Very good and relaxing

Beach- Nice bit rocky with many sticks and debri

Activities- There is not muchtdo, took the shuttle into town for one of the nights

Rooms- Very nice

This is the first type of vacation that I have taken that is all inlcusive. I enjoyed it but not sure if I would do it again.

• Liked — The weather
  • Disliked — not enough to do
1 Thank screesaver32
Markham, Canada
Reviewed 1 December 2008

My wife and I had our honeymoon at the Secrets Capri 4 years ago - and we returned for some much needed re-charging of the batteries in late November. Not much has changed at the resort in that time.....a new spa, and a new beachside dining area - otherwise, it's the same great place.

I normally write a good, bad and ugly review - but there really isn't any bad or ugly, so I'll just hit some highlights and observations here.

The Spa - Definitely over-priced for treatments, but you can bargain them down considerably. Even their daily advertised "specials" can be bettered - just push. They also gave us 'free' access throughout our stay to the common areas of the spa - the steam room, sauna, showers, therapy pools, etc etc. It's a very nice spot - and worth a visit - but I sense they are struggling and people are not using the facilities.....everyday they were pushing, calling on the phone, visiting the pool and beach areas with 'today-only' deals, etc. Take advantage.

Restaurants - They were all good. It was great that you could go to any restaurant on any night - no reservations required and no limit to the number of times you visited any particular place. All of our meals were very good - our personal favourite was Himitsu (Chinese, Japanese, Sushi and Teppanyaki) - service was great too.

Tipping - Like some other reviewers have mentioned, this really seemed hit and miss.......I'm sure it was appreciated but we couldn't tell from the service experience we received. Whether we tipped the bartender on every drink - or we didn't tip at all, they responded to our needs just the same - which was excellent.

Other 'Stuff' - The pool is partitioned into 2 separate swimming areas - one side is heated and one not. I think in the 10 days we were there, we saw 1 person in the non-heated side....it was COLD. Even the heated side was iffy on some days - but someone found the thermostat and cranked it up in time for the US Thanksgiving holiday and influx of guests. Similarly the outdoor "hot tub" was luke at best until Thanksgiving - and then hit an appropriate warmth. Even the showers in the guestrooms were luke warm at best - after a day in the sun and the afternoon cooling, it's always nice to have a hot shower before dinner.....unfortunately our room didn't have a 'hot water' option.
The onsite concierge on every floor is a great idea in theory - but I think we saw our concierge twice in our 10 day holiday. We couldn't even find her when we went looking - so we used the one in the main lobby.
Lots of talk in here about the beach - and some fair criticism. Seems there has been some erosion in the Secrets area - which made for a delicate entry into the water - rocks, roots, etc cover the area as you enter and difficult to navigate. The actual sandy beach is narrow near the Secrets but widens as you walk to the south - not sure how far you can walk in that direction, but we went for 45 mins in that direction before turning around and there still seemed to be miles of beach to walk. Heading north only provided about 15-20 mins of walking, then you hit a private beach area at the 3 Rivers Resort (and a lifeguard to inform you) - and immediately after an impassable area where the rivers feed into a swamp area/ocean. (apparently crocodiles in there).
Nightlife is fine - for middle of the Mayan Riviera they put on a decent show. I don't think you should expect Vegas glitz or polish - but if looking for some entertainment around 9 pm every night, give it a go.

All to say, tough to go wrong at the Secrets Capri - very relaxing - lots to do if you want to - easy to find chairs, palapas, etc. Enjoy!

• Liked — Beautiful junior suite
  • Disliked — Luke warm shower
4 Thank harvman
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 November 2008

My wife and I stayed here 11/4/08-11/10/08 for our honeymoon, and chose this resort after word of mouth and glowing Trip Advisor reviews. We were not disappointed, and as long as you understand that this resort is better for a relaxation vacation than an active vacation, you should enjoy your stay. The resort is about 45 mins south of the Cancun airport and there was no problems with the transfers. We stayed in a junior suite, without a view. While there was really no view to speak of, most of the "ocean view" rooms really overlook the central pool area, which overlooks the ocean, and we preferred the privacy. The room was very nice and the maid service, several times a day, was terrific. The bathroom was nice, and the shower was great, but the tub was very small and if you are a larger sized person, you would not be able to be comfortable in it. Room service was a bit of a disappointment, but with the daily food offerings, we really didn't find much need for it. The food offerings are diverse and available throughout the day, and we had few, if any complaints about the food, unusual for an all-inclusive resort. The main draw to the resort is the central pool area with a swim-up bar- it is a lovely pool. Poolside drink/food service is spotty- with all the service, we found people didn't go out of their way to see if they could help you, but if you saw an employee and asked for something, they would take care of it immediately. Drinks were tasty and made with your choice of liquor, but the drinks were not strong, and tipping didn't change that. The first day we were there, we noticed no one was on the beach. The beach itself is pretty, but when I actually went in the water, the ocean floor was extremely rocky. The next day, I noticed workers at the beach loading rocks from the beach floor into wheelbarrows. The following day, I went back and the beach was smooth and enjoyable. There are some limited activities available (yoga, dancing lessons) but we did not partake of them. Snorkeling, scuba, fishing involved tours leaving the resort, and we were content to stay put. In the evening, there was usually a show or performance, but it was mediocre. My only real disappointment was that the pool was closed in the evening, so no night swimming. The resort was too quiet at night- most people had a late dinner and enjoyed sipping cocktails at the indoor bars. Not much else going on in the evenings. The town of Playa del Carmen is a quick $14 USD cab ride and is a nice diversion for the evening- there is a nice pedestrian walk with touristy souvenir places. The spa services were nice, and while not cheap, I felt that we got good service and value for what was offered. The best part is that it is an easy already planned out vacation- you really didn't need your wallet or need to know Spanish or need to exchange money the whole time. If you are looking for a getaway where you can lie out in the sun and don't have to make decisions, this is a great place. If you are looking for non-stop action, loads of water activities, and dancing until dawn, then this may be a bit too laid back and quiet for you.

• Liked — all-inclusive, very clean and safe
  • Disliked — no night swimming, not a lot going on at night
2 Thank Joshdent
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#50 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#44 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!