“Forever loyal to Secrets!”

Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Ranked #39 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersBronze level
Brighton, Michigan
“Forever loyal to Secrets!”
Reviewed 9 January 2009

My boyfriend and I took our first vacation together to Secrets Capri on a recommendation by two girlfriends of mine. They both expressed that this was their favorite vacation spot that they had even taken in Mexico or the Caribbean (even better than each of their honeymoons!). Well, they were absolutely right. The hotel was amazing, the staff was friendly and courteous, the food was delicious, the pool and beach were beautiful and relaxing. Our room was smack dab in the middle on the top floor and had a sweet view of the pool, beach and ocean - #536, I'd highly recommend.

There are a coupe of negative I would have to include. One is that you may want to get reservations a littler earlier in the evening as we had to wait about an hour for a table on two nights. This was probably our fault because we were enjoying ourselves so much during the day that we didn't think to stop and get ready for dinner until about 7pm. The other negative is the 'window' between the bathroom and the bedroom. Remember how this was our first vacation together??!! Well, we certainly became a bit closer and less shy after a week of "sharing" the bathroom.

Other than that, it was a wonderful vacation. Oh, and I totally recommend taking advantage of the private nighttime dinner on the beach - very romantic and delicious food!

• Liked — view, pool, beach
  • Disliked — bathroom window
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lmbass

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,340)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Summerfield, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 January 2009

The resort is nice but lacking in some areas. I would rate it as a 3 1/2 star resort not 4. Rooms are nice not overly luxurious. Pool is good but cold on the side not near swim up bar and get there early to get a spot. Beach is tiny and can not swim in ocean b/c of all the wood washing up. We hardly ever had any waiter ask us if we needed anything around pool or on beach.
Alot of people have raved about the food and that is alot of the resaon we picked this spot. The food is good but you don't get much. Each night we would go to one restaurant then go to another where I would have dessert while my husband had another meal.
Beer was never cold enough and when asked for Crown Royal they had to go in back for the 1 bottle it seemed they had.
Service at the restaurants was great but at the pool and beach during the day we got up to get everything. Some people seemed not have this problem,guesss I didn't tip enough.
The spa there is fabulous and everyone is very nice. Massage and facial were wonderful.

• Liked — spa
  • Disliked — service at pool
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jessica y
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 January 2009

I had a wonderful time at the Secrets Capri resort in Riviera Maya. However, there were a few things in the brochure that were misleading:

1) The "sugar-white beaches" and the "1000 feet of beach" was not really true.

The beach was extremely small and cramped. I found out later that the resort lost almost half its beach after one of the hurricanes.

The beach at the water was VERY rocky. No one went into the ocean because it was too painful to get past the rocks. I went in because I managed to find some spots that were not as rocky and tried to float the rest of the way out. During the week I was there, I only saw two other people make it past the rocks.
Once you got past the rocks, the bottom of the ocean was yucky SLIMY. It was like the bottom of a lake. I found out that the cause of the sliminess was the thick sponge-like algae. In some areas, when I stepped on the algae, my foot squished into it up to my ankles. EWW.

2) The "Piano and Cigar Bar" did not exist.

There was a lounge-type room called "La Havana" and was labeled as a Cigar Bar and Piano Bar however:
There was no piano in it. The piano was in the lobby by the lobby bar.
There was no bar in it. The bar was the lobby bar, called "Rendevous"
Cigars were not available every day. Someone sat at a table and sold cigars every other day.

3) I got $100 off spa treatment because they offered a holiday special. When I scheduled the spa appointment, there were no conditions attached. When I showed up at the spa, they told me that I could only apply $50 discount because the $100 needed to be used on two separate visits. No one said anything about this prior to my arrival at the spa, and there was no documentation anywhere about this condition.

4) The hotel advertised "24-hour Unlimited Room Service" and told me, upon check-in, that anything could be ordered anytime. However, I found out that I could only order certain menu items at certain times. When I asked to have a breakfast delivered to my room at 6a, they told me that I could only have toast and pastries because they don't serve breakfast room service until at least 6:30a.

5) The "State of the art" fitness center was not state of the art. They were building a new facility, but the one they had there had the standard equipment - treadmills, bicycles, etc.

6) They advertise that no reservations are needed for restaurants. However, in Himitsu, if you wanted to sit at the hibachi grill, you were required to make reservations.

7) The "La Riviera" restaurant advertised a Casual dress code. On other resorts, this implied that bathings suits with sarong or cover-up was acceptable. Not the case here. No swimsuits were allowed anytime, and men were not allowed to wear sleeveless shirts.

Believe me when I say that I am not one to complain, but when a resort lists its features, I expect these statements to be true. If the resort had not exaggerated or lied about anything, there would not have been an issue at all.

The quality of the room, the personalized service, the quality of the food, and the activities for New Year's Eve were AMAZING and superb, and almost outweigh everything listed above. Overall I had a fantastic time, and the resort is really beautiful.

• Liked — The food was amazing, and the room accommodations were great. I especially liked the fact that room service was included.
  • Disliked — The beach was TERRIBLE. Do NOT go here if you like to swim in the ocean. Also, the pool is only half heated, which became overly crowded.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
10 Thank TravelingFlautist
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2009

Me & my partner stayed here for two weeks over Christmas and it was absolutely fabulous!! I did have a few concerns after reading some of the comments on TA but need not have worried!! From the moment we got there we were wisked off to our room and completed the check in there!! Our conceirge was very helpfull and we had a bottle of champers waiting on ice in our room! The room was faultless, very large, immaculate and good size balcony, though we only had the tropical view so didn't use it that much. The bed was soo comfortable!!!
All the restaurants were great, we especially liked the grill and the rib eye steak was cooked to perfection! The ceviche bar was great for lunch along with the grill, my Partner ended up having the crab cakes nearly every day!!! The staff are all fantastic, very friendly and attentive. We did regularly tip as they were so good but I'm sure the service would have been just as good had we not.
There are lots of activitives during the day if you want to participate with, yoga, water aerobics, volley ball, etc, etc,,,, but we decided to take it easy and spent most of the time on the beach or round the fab pool.
There is entertainment on an evening if you want to join in, the casino night was good fun. The entertainment staff were really friendly and chatty.
The only comment I would make is the cost of the Spa treatments which were very expensive but that is no different to any other hotel.
The resort is definitely perfect and I cannot see that anyone can complain. Yes, there are rocks and vegitiation visable on the beach by the waters edge after a windy night but that is down to the Hotels along this strip being built on a former Mangrove. The staff at the hotel are constantly clearing any sticks/driftwood from the beach and even trying to hack out any roots left but at the end of the day this is nature and the roots/rocks were there long before the hotel. It really does not effect your holiday!!
I would definitely recommend this hotel for the all inclusive experience. On a personal note we did find that staying here for two weeks was probably too long and if I was to do it again I would probably only stay for a week and then move on somewhere else for the 2nd week. That is not a negative on the hotel only a personal preference.
We did travel into Playa del Carmen one evening for a meal which was enjoyable but very expensive. The taxi cost US$13 each way. I was surprised how much everything was in the Town especially in the current climate but it is a very commercialised resort so guess that pushes up the price. Also coming from the UK the pound is not so good against the $ so all adds up.
Overall we had a fab holiday in a fantastic hotel!!!

• Liked — Great beach and pool, food/drinks and friendly, attentive staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing!!!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
9 Thank RICSGIRL
Dallas
Reviewed 1 January 2009

Wow! What can I not say about this resort. This resort is fantastic!!!! I kinda got the luck of the draw with this one. Last minute winter vactation decision to get a change of scenery for a few days after Christmas and gear up for 2009. I saw the pictures on the website and wanted to see if that's what it looked like in person.
I would like to say that this is one of the best vacation decisions I've made since I started beach destinations. When I arrived they greated me with a cool towel and glass of champagne, my floor conceige (I still remember her name!!) walked me all the way to my room and introduced me to the hotel. My evening conceige help get my ipod speaker clock replaced because we couldn't figure out the one that came when I checked in. Yes, they have a ipod speaker apdater provided with the room. The moment I arrived, I was either beach side all day or pool/jacuzzi later. I packed to go on day trips and did not leave the resort once. The other vacatoners were from everywhere around the world and very friendly.
The entire staff's service is impecable.They are so polite and helpful, they talk to you and get to know you. Guest interaction is beyond anything I've witnessed at any destination location I've visited. There's plenty of onsite poolside and beachside activites. Rentals are also available. Both pool side and beach side service is outstanding.
Everything is free (well unless you want Dom Perignon), the food, from grill to ceviche, all the premium alcohol, free. They have a true free mini-bar. 24 hour room service. You can't beat it. I wish I would have pigged out more.
The resort was very intimate and private. It was easy to get a place on the beach. The morning walks on the beach is a must. The pool is huge with, of course, and swim up bar. It was so nice to be around all adults. It was mellow. I'd suggest getting the ocean view (deluxe). They gave me a picturesque view overlooking the pool and also beening able to see way out in to the sea. The bed was interesting at first, but I got used to it. The bathroom was awesome and has a jacuzzi tub for one.
It was so far my hands down best resort experince to date. I will be going back as quickly as I can!

• Liked — The location. It was quiet and intimate. The staff and service is extrodinary.
  • Disliked — There is nothing negative that I have to say about this place.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled solo
10 Thank geminicoop
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 1 January 2009

We stayed at Secrets Capri in March 2007 and we kept meaning to write about our trip.

Thank God we heard about the "Secret" about Secrets -- what an awesome resort!

We went for our 5-year anniversary, and an escape from our very small and very busy children. We stayed for four days -- just enough to really enjoy ourselves and unwind.

The resort is small (which is a HUGE PLUS). We watched as people got dropped at mega-resorts, and I was tired just looking at them -- let alone spending a vacation walking miles to get everywhere.

The facilities are immaculate ... food superior ... service amazing. The whole staff just really exudes helpfulness and happiness.

And -- the beach is awesome. I read so much about the rocky beach and I still cannot figure out what everyone was talking about...

Book it now! You'll love it.

• Liked — Everything -- great pool, great food, great entertainment, great service, beautiful resort
  • Disliked — The fact that I couldn't move in permanently
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank popeye2625
NY
Reviewed 29 December 2008

My wife and I stayed here over Xmas for five days. The hotel is a very nice samll resort. The room was quite nice and clean, except for the bathtub which was slightly dirty. The balcony was also a bit weak, with only two sitting chairs on each. The Japanese restaurants sushi was edible at best, but had cream cheese in every roll which seemed a bit like filler. The hibachi was good, and the chef put on a good show while cooking. The italian restaurant was very good and probably our favorite. The lamb chops while small where very tasty and so was the pesto and duck pasta my wife had. The steak house was ok, everyone's steak was slightly overcooked but still had a good flavor. The ceviche bar outside by the pool was very good and all the tacos were also good. The all inclusive drinks were not that good as the mixed tropical drinks did not use fresh fruit and were not that good. Breakfast was also good and we ate in the buffet every morning. The nightime entertainment was pretty nonexistent, the hotel is pretty dead after sundown. The service overall was good but was very slow at all meals. My wife enjoyed the spa very much. The pool is absolutely gorgeous and we always found a lounge chair. The beach was very disapointing. It seemed like the hotel was situated on a bad piece of beach b/c there were branches and tree stumps all along the beach. It looked pretty treacherous and literally no one was ever in the ocean bc it definitely did not look safe. We walked down the beach towards the other hotels and they had a much cleaner beachfront and of course people were in the ocean. Not sure why the hotel wouldn't clean up the beachfront it is a shame b/c the water was very warm. Overall the hotel was very nice and we would recommend it., if you are into the all inclusive adults only thing.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — The beach
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NYmoney
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#58 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,059 reviews
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#50 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,200 reviews

Been to Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!