“One of the best”

GreenLeadersBronze level
South Florida
“One of the best”
Reviewed 15 March 2009

This is as good as it gets. The hotel is great, food wonderful, service beyond expectations and all in all if you can't be happy here, just stay at home. We made arrangements to be picked up by Transfers USA at the airport and returned. I think it was for just over $100 round trip. Everything was exactly as they said it was going to be, no suprises ... just the way we like our transportation. I could fill pages but will refrain from boring everyone with more and more praise. Playa del Carmen and lots of night life and shopping is just down the road. Wife said spa was awesome. I didn't play but heard that the inclusive golf courses were not that great and far away. If you want to golf check the course indipendently. There is a PGA event course just down the road that I'm told is delightful.

5 Thank Travelbeat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,338)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Newtown, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 March 2009

I just returned from a three night stay at Secrets Resort. Having traveled solo to the Riviera Maya several times, and experienced AI in many destinations, I had something to compare it to. First of all...the service. This resort had the friendliest staff I have ever encountered in Mexico.As other reviewers have mentioned, service was excellent with or without a tip. When a tip was received it certainly was apprecieted and unexpected. While there I had the opportunity to visit the spa. It certainly was beautiful and the services I recevied (massage & haircut ) were outstanding. However, I left my watch in the locker room and it never was recovered. It was only a Mickey Mouse watch, but upsetting any way. The pool looked nicer then it felt. I couldn't tell the difference between the heated and not heated side. Although may reviewers complained about having to save a lounge chair, I didn't experience this. The beach was....well the sand and chairs were beautiful, the water was a bit slimy. However, one cannot blame this on the resort and many hotels along the Riviera Maya are like this. Last year I stayed at the Grand Pariso and the beach wasn't much better. The service on the beach could be improved and there was some construction which I found to be a little annoying. However, the resort is so small you are always just a few steps away from a bar. The food was excellent. I was quite surprised to experience food this good at an AI ! The wait staff was pleasant and efficient. I experienced a lot of room service being that I traveled alone. It arrived quickly and was well presented. Housekeeping was fair. Not all of the dirty glassess were removed and the mini bar was never replenished during my stay. For me the bed was fine. However, I had requested a King size and was given a double. I couldn't help but feel that this was due to me being alone. I was offered a King IF I upgraded to an ocean view for $80 extra a night. I declined.
All in all I had a wonderful stay at Secrets and I could really be a picky tourist. I would return with my husband in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank 1teacher
Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 March 2009

My husband & I just returned from a short stay at Secrets Capri south of Cancun. The resort is very nice. We would return. Here's our stay details... we checked in late after a LONG day of traveling Continental Airlines (a different TERRIBLE story - do NOT fly Continental!) - upon check-in we received a warm scented towel which perked us up immediately! QUICK check-in. Since Continental lost our luggage, the bellhop had nothing to carry - so he carried our "carry-ons" & took us to our room for a room tour. We were suprisingly upgraded to a Junior Suite, Champagne was waiting for us! Chocolate covered strawberries at turndown! Perfect! Sleeping at night was terrific - comfortable beds & QUIET resort.

During the day we wandered the resort - nice sandy beach, some stumps in the water, no seashells, the Secrets staff are always around cleaning up the beach if there is seaweed present. NOTE - you are NOT able to snorkel off this beach... MUCH too wavy (red flag warnings) and churned-up water. If you want to snorkel - you'll have to go elsewhere. The LARGE pool is WONDERFUL! Swim-up bar. 2 pools separated by a bridge.

The Entertainment Staff will have you BUSY if you want! or leave you alone if you don't want to be busy! Nice people. Fun poolside activities daily - including volleyball, water areobics, massage lessons, music, dance lessons, on & on.... changes daily.

The food - good. I recommend the mushroom pasta at Portofino's. TERRIFIC.
You do not have to bring any extra food... I packed pretzels & breakfast bars, worried about the food... no problem - lots around & very good. I never opened my pretzels or bars! The food & drink service is good & ALWAYS available. Sometimes I tipped $1 for beverage service, or $3-5 for dinner service. It's nice to tip - but the crew are nice to you if you tip or don't.

The resort grounds are beautiful & grand. The area outside of the resort is not. If you're staying for a few days... I recommend NOT leaving the resort area. Longer... maybe a snorkel trip - we rented from AquaWorld at the Secrets' pool. Good tour.
Enjoy the SUN & lavish resort. Please go! Secrets is very nice!

5 Thank FamilyOf5Wisconsin
New Hampshire
Reviewed 13 March 2009

Booked our stay at www.dreamdays.com and they were FANTASTIC!!!!!
Rooms were perfectly acceptable(clean, updated and most have a view of the ocean)
Staff was great(happy and helpful)
Food was exceptional, especially for All Inclusive.
The entire hotel was clean.
Pool area was GREAT. Beach was a little small(most likely washed away in hurricanes)
Went on the recommendation of a family member and I would definitely go back in a heartbeat!!

4 Thank TFinelli
Phila, PA
Reviewed 12 March 2009

We booked the shuttle service as part of our package. It cost $90.00 roundtrip per person. Taking a cab is $80.00 one way. Secrets Capri was about 45 minutes from the airport. Before our shuttle left, we waited approx. 30 minutes for other guests to arrive. We made use of the time by grabbing drinks from the outdoor margarita bar which we were allowed to bring onto the shuttle. Be forewarned that they really cram you in there. We noticed this on the return trip also. If we ever have the pleasure of returning to Secrets, I will forgo the shuttle service in favor of a taxi.

The resort was GREAT for being an all-inclusive. If your expectations are higher than what Secrets Capri provides, then all-inclusive are not for you. Remember that you forgo some quality for the convenience of not carrying around cash and eating/drinking for a fixed cost.

Room service is 24 hours a day and the menu size is decent. But be forewarned, no matter what we ordered, what we got was always slightly different (but still good, so no complaints). We relied on room service for breakfast for the first few days, but after discovering how great the morning buffet was, we began eating there instead. Room service came in handy when we needed some late night snacks/beers while having an impromptu party on another guest’s balcony.

Making reservations at the restaurants was surprisingly pain free. Typical wait time was just under an hour, but they provide you with a buzzer so you’re free to wander about. If you want to eat around 8pm, just plan on getting down there around 7pm. No big deal. There is usually live music playing in the lobby by the bar, plus there are pool tables and game tables (ie cards, Jenga) in the lower lobby. The Italian restaurant was our favorite, followed by the Japanese restaurant. The Japanese restaurant did book up in advance. You should call the day before or in the morning if you want to be seated at one of the two Hibachi tables. At all of the restaurants, the portion size was small. And when I say small, what I really mean is that they are correctly portioned. We usually compensated for this by splitting 3 entrees between the two of us. We never received any complaints about this request. As a side note: for the restaurants that required men to wear pants, my boyfriend wore nice jeans with flip flops (as did most guys). Most women wore casual sundresses, skirts, etc. Overall, everyone is pretty casual.

Water is treated. We still avoided drinking the water at dinner but brushed our teeth and had ice in all of our drinks. Neither of us got sick the entire time we were there.

People have complained about the ocean, but as you can see from the pictures I’ve attached, the color of the water was just beautiful and the beach was cleaned each morning. I appreciated the fact that the beach was roped off from vendors. Waiter service was quite frequent on the beach.

Be advised that there is no ATM, so be sure to bring cash. Also, if you bring your own Ethernet cable, internet access is free from your room. Otherwise it was $15 to rent a cable. There were movies available for purchase directly from your TV at a cost of $12.00, but you could borrow movies for free from your floor’s service desk. There were always lounges available by the pool, but the shaded ones did go early. Shaded seating on the beach was always available. Each room was equipped with an MP3 player so you could listen to your tunes while getting ready. On themed style buffet nights, they allow vendors by the pool area. You can purchase silver jewelry and other trinkets to take home with you. When your ready to check out, call room service in advance and request that they prepare you a boxed lunch for on the road. In fact, you can request a boxed lunch before you go on an excursion, etc,

If you rent a car, be prepared to slow down for the multiple speed bumps. Apparently the highway from the airport to the resort is relatively new. They do not have traffic lights installed, and instead rely on speed bumps around intersections, resort entrances, etc. The speed limit is up to 100km/hr at some sections, and if you are not looking out for the speed bumps then you are in for a big surprise.

This review was kind of all over the place but feel free to contact me with any questions.

I loved, loved, loved this place and can’t wait to go back! As a side note, I wen back to Mexico 3 months later and had a miserable time. Compared to Secrets, the other place was a disapoinment.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank SJU1982
Suburban Philly
Reviewed 11 March 2009

This was our 2nd trip to Riviera Maya. Last year we stayed at Occidental Grande - Xcaret and absolutely loved it, but they had no beach (other than man-made). This year we purposely booked at a resort with a beach and - although the Secrets Capri was beautiful, the beach WAS NOT what we anticipated.

The food, drink and poolside entertainment were great. The shows-- not so much!

The staff was great and VERY friendly; couldn't do enough for you. Waitstaff was terrific everywhere - poolside, beach, lobby, restaurants... everywhere.

There are alot of positives with the hotel which I'd expect at a resort rates as highly as this was, but there were a couple of things I didn't like:

Pool was in disrepair; tiles loose and dirty rubber mats to keep you from slipping while walking in. It just didn't match the fine quality/cleanliness of the rest of the resort. As a walk-in, it was too steep and slippery and the cheap plastic overflow drain around the edge was dangerous. Also, the cheaper lounges were in very poor condition; alot of them should have been thrown away/replaced. Some were stretched so low that you couldn't get out of them. They could also have used many more of them. They had the space around the pool for them, but the early-morning ritual of reserving your lounge was still required if you wanted to be guaranteed seating - especially if you needed multiple chairs for your party.

The second thing the resort needs is a dinner buffet. It's a nice option for those that are tired of dressing up every night or just want something quick without calling room service. Also, after eating dinner or going to a show, it would be great to be able to sit down for coffee and dessert or munchies as there was no place to do that (except for room service which doesn't work with two couples in separate rooms who'd like to snack together.

Other than that, it WAS a great place and I'd definitely recommend to everyone except those who really want a nice beach.

4 Thank SpoiledNow
mrjohnny81
Reviewed 11 March 2009

My wife and I (in our late 20s) headed to Secrets for a 6 day reprise from the cold New York City weather. This was our second trip to the Cancun area for an all inclusive stay; our previous trip was a year and a half ago. That is my only basis for comparison, but this joint was definitely an upgrade. Obviously we paid more, but the value we got was far greater than the relatively small increase in price. Secrets is definitely on the quiet and relaxing side of the resort spectrum rather than the active and boisterous side.

The Pool (and beach):
The staff is less inclined to force you into the standard daily activities if you just want to lay in the sun, which is nice. Some activities include: volleyball, water aerobics, dance lesson, another round of volleyball, bungy-trampoline (which is great!), archery/firing range, soccer, more volleyball and some other stuff. They also have sailing, jet skis, diving, etc. If you want to do jet-skis, go to the resort down the beach (although it is $15 more) otherwise you have to take a bus to get to the water sport's place. The biggest downfall to the resort is the pool situation. In order to get a good chair by the pool, and in many cases a chair at all, we had to go down between 7am and 8am and put our towels down. Ultimately this was no biggie, but still rather annoying that we were a little stressed every night about whether we would get a spot. The pool itself is great. The size is ample, there are a bunch of rafts that you can float on which was very nice and the bar is good stuff. The beach was a bit rocky and every now and then you would hear a yelp from someone who had just stepped on the gooey clay deposits and thought it was a sea creature. We hung by the pool mostly.

The Food:
The food really stood out . Breakfast was the best (the fresh fruit was the best I've ever tasted) with a wide variety of options ranging from traditional Mexican fare, to waffle stations, to an omelet chef, and to what seemed like every single variation of egg imaginable. There were a variety of options for lunch including the buffet, ordering to your chair at the pool, a taco bar and another basic place. We didn't have high hopes for the taco bar that had burgers and traditional sandwiches but they were really good. Dinner offered five different restaurants which (buffet, Japanese, Italian, seafood, steak), after our last Mexico jaunt where we ate the same buffet in the same room for every meal, that was a huge plus. Not only were we were thrilled that Secrets offered so many options for each meal, but the food was pretty damn good too. Room service 24/7 - we ordered it once around 11pm and it showed up in twenty minutes and was hot and tasty. Also, a lot more options of alcohol - a few different beers and top shelf booze.

The Nightlife:
The evening entertainment was a bit lacking for a few reasons. Yes they had traditional dancers, a comedian, Oscar night (the awards, not the grouch), etc., but, the entertainment staff was less involved with the nightlife than we expected (we hung out with the entertainment staff at the pool, during dinner and at night at the last place we went). Additionally, from what we could tell, there was less of a community feeling to this resort. We made some friends at the pool and had some nice conversations when we sat with others at dinner, but everyone didn't gather together at the bar and party, which was the case last time we hit Cancun. Admittedly, my wife and I were content to spend time just the two of us, so others may have had a different experience mingling with guests. Additionally, this may just be another example of the relaxed nature of this resort as opposed to a place to party.

The Spa:
If you stay at Secrets, go to the spa. It's not cheap but it is a lot of fun. We aren't big spa people so after we got massages we didn't melt with relaxation, but the couples massage was very nice regardless. After your spa treatment, you are allowed access to the hydro-therapy room which is very neat. After a eucalyptus steam and a sauna, you go through a series of cold and hot baths that cleanse your pores and relax you. Again, I'm not the spa type, but it was an experience.

The Rooms:
They smelled a little funky. But listen folks, the bottom line is that the water in Mexico stinks and makes everything else smell a little weird. That said, my wife has an awful aversion to things that smell bad (Then why did she marry me, you ask? Because I smell like roses, that's why) and she was fine with it. I imagine the hotel staff is aware as every room has incense, which is a nice touch. Other than that the room was very clean, big, had great bathrooms, and a nice balcony. There were a few small lizards around but they stuck to the hallways. The only bugs we saw were small flies when we left a glass of champagne out for 24 hours, so that was our bad. Not a single bug in the room otherwise. For the most part, they were pristine. Beers, food and booze in the mini fridge. Everything perfectly cleaned and restocked daily. Be aware, the bathroom has a pass-threw window (a la a kitchen) into the bedroom that is only covered by a screen, and the toilet is in it's own little nook in the bathroom and only has a smoked glass saloon door for protection. Basically, less privacy than I think many Americans are used to.

The Staff:
Friendly and awesome. Even after I did a premature back-flip on the bungy-trampoline and nearly kicked one of the guys in the face (you'll understand if you do it), he was still really nice. The bar-staff and wait-staff at all the restaurants were the best.

The Town:
We went into Playa del Carmen one afternoon. It was very nice. We took a cab because we wanted to come and go as we pleased ($28 round trip I think) and not wait for buses. Not much else to say. Just don't get kidnapped by any drug lords, which seems to be happening in Cancun to police officers. No bueno.

The summary to the apparent novel I just wrote:
This place rocked. For the price, this place rocked da house. We had friends who went a week before us to a "nicer" resort. The pictures of their resort looked exactly the same as ours but they paid $1,000 more (although over a holiday weekend). The only con was the chair situation at the pool and it didn't turn out to be a big deal because we would get up, claim our spots, read for a bit, get breakfast then go lay by the pool for the day. There are so many resorts in this area that normally, if we were to go back, we would pick a new one. Secrets would make us consider discarding that mentality and returning for a second stay. That may sound a little mundane, but it's a pretty big compliment coming from us.

Author's note:
If you go to Secrets, or any all-inclusive spot, please please please tip the staff. Yes, "gratuity is included" once you pay for an all inclusive; however, consider the fact that the staff is working extremely hard and very long hours, and they do it to make you as comfortable as possible...and they are smiling and friendly the entire time.

Hope this was helpful.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mrjohnny81
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#58 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,050 reviews
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#49 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,199 reviews

Been to Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!