“Great hotel, good location”

Coco Rio Playa del Carmen
Ranked #106 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We used Trip Advisor to find a hotel in Playa del Carmen. Our 1st choice was Luna Blue, but on arrival the only room available was a ground floor room in a dark corner with no sunlight. We went next door to Coco Rio and got a great room on the 2nd floor. The room was clean, we had clean towels every day, we didn't have a problem with the hot water, the TV was new & had a great selection of channels. The air con & ceiling fan were a welcome relief in the heat. The staff were always friendly & helpful. You can't beat the location and there's a little resturant across the street owned by a Spanish guy that has a great 3 course meal for 80 peso. Coco Rio is great value for money!! I was surprised at some reports complaining about no carpet, who wants carpet in that climate? Coco Rio is the best!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Shazallo

Reviewed 26 June 2012

We stayed there just for 1 night but we absolutely liked the place. The hotel is located just 1 block away from the famous fifth avenue and 2 blocks from Mamita's beach club. The rooms are quite small but nice and clean and they are facing a wonderful garden.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Some problems with the facility itself. The bedside light needed a new bulb. The toilet seat broke the first day. A maid cleaned my room every day, and obviously swept up the broken toilet seat clamps, but the toilet seat was never fixed and it pinched me every time I sat on it. I had to run the shower for about five minutes before I got any hot water, and even then there was very little water pressure. On my last day, in a hurry to clean up and catch my plane, there was no water at all! I was taking a "bird bath" with the melted drink-ice in my styrofoam cooler from the night before when the water came back on and I was able to shower properly before I left. Nevertheless, I LOVED this place. Very good manager, very friendly staff. Beautiful little courtyard. PERFECT location. If you're uppity and nitpicky, go somewhere else. If you're a happy traveler who just wants a good place to sleep for a good price in a great place, go to Coco Rio. I recommend it. I loved it. Cute kitties, too.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank skipvoc
Reviewed 31 May 2012

My husband and I were visiting Isla Mujeres in May and the weather there was not so great so we decided to take the ferry back jump on the ADO and go to Playa del Carmen. We've been there several time and love the town, people, and beach. I had made no reservations but we showed up at Coco Rio with our bags around 1:30 in the afternoon. The staff couldn't have been nicer and more accomodating. We got our favorite room at a great price and headed immediately to Mamitas beach. The weather was great and we had a great time as usual. We were there when they were replacing the water tank.

I read the review from Kristina K and I can confirm the water was off but only for a brief time one morning. I never had a problem with the hot water or maid service. Our room was always throughly cleaned. Towels were replace every 2 days and we understood the towel policy which is posted in the room. Never used the safe so I can't comment on that but I know from my travels that other hotels also charge for using in room safes. In the past I've emailed the hotel and they have always been responsive and making reservations are easy and convenient so I was surprised about the comments of the hotel not being responsive.

I love this place and will only stay there when visiting Playa. You can't beat the location and there's a little resturant across the street that has a great 3 course meal for 80 peso.

Coco Rio is the best!!

Room Tip: choose the Jr suite, bathrooms are large some have a balcony and terrace.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I have traveled to Mexico several times a year for the last 10 years. This is, by far, the worst place I ever stayed in. I knew I was in trouble when I made the reservation and did not get the discount advertised online. I called the hotel and was told that I had to call and make the reservation over the phone. The owner never returned my calls. I was then told he was "out of town," and I would have to wait to make the phone reservation....then was told that they couldn't guarantee a room. (I really wish I had stayed at the next door Luna Blue hotel but wanted a king bed). I also emailed the hotel several times to ask about shuttle service but never had a response. I made my own shuttle arrangements online. I tried to keep an open mind. The front desk clerk Angel was very nice. The room was spotless. Then, all hell broke loose. They charged me $2 a day for a safe that isn't even big enough to put a passport in. A sign in the room said that extra towels were $3 per day. The towels were threadbare and the room only had two bath towels. In the entire week I stayed there I NEVER had hot water for a shower. In fact, three days in a row, I was without water for several hours. When I complained about this, I was told that "it was only for a few hours so its ok." One day I did not have my room cleaned, the next day I was missing two hand towels. My last day there I went back to my room to shower. Again, no water. I finally got water so I took a shower....stepped out of the bathroom and NO TOWELS AT ALL. The employee said, "they are being washed." When I explained that I paid for water and towels, I was told that the staff would call the boss. I was offered a cheap bottle of wine as the only compensation for no towels or water. The bed was uncomfortable but I could tolerate it. There is no reason why I should go without water to shower, use the toilet or wash my hands. There is no reason why I shouldn't be provided with towels. The owner of this hotel never had the courtesy to answer my emails regarding the promised reservation discount or shuttle services. I go to Mexico every 6-8 weeks and I will never stay there again. The owner of this place needs to be reminded that there are hotels EVERYWHERE in Playa del Carmen and customers have a choice. If you want decent service, towels and running water.....don't stay at the Coco Rio

Room Tip: no room can be good when the customer service is so terrible.....don't stay here!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Fabio306, Owner at Coco Rio Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2012

"Thank’s to Trip Advisor that allow us to replay to such accusations.

This lady spend one large page to describe how the hotel Cocorio is an unpleasant and bad place to stay. We are working very hard trying to keep our gusts happy in a pleasant place to stay for their holydays that’s why we have to tell them how things happen.

Starting with the discount advertised online. The web page of the hotel is clear when you click on the discount take you to send a email to us and we send you a specific document to reserve direct with us and not by the web page only by this way you get the extra discount…. We clarified that to her at telephone, but eventhoug she booked us 2 times and 2 times canceled. She knew the price, plus the site clearly say that the transportation is free with minimum bookings 7 nights and the lady only booked for 6 nights.. We send her all the information about how to get the extra 20 % discount, but she decided to reserve by the web page and not directly with us.

About the safe we told that there is an extra charge for 2 usd for night if she want to used, she took it but never paid it. For the hot water it has always been that way, take a couple of minutes to get hot water at the superior level .

We had a problem with the bomb during the night who take the water to the rooms , and next morning it was no water.., but we fixed it quickly as possible( it takes 3 hours ). We advise all guests and been the hotel full all guests understand the problem and that can happen. At the contrary the lady was complaining that she want a discount…so we offer her a bottle of wine to apologise for the 3 hours inconvenient and she refused it.

About the cleaning we do the room every day . In evry hotel there is some spare time between the dirty towels and the changing to the cleaning one.

We are really sorry that the lady was not happy with us …, but that it was from the beginig because of the discount misunderstanding."

Reviewed 18 May 2012

Coco Rio has a great location. It's practically right on 5th Avenue so you're close to the action. The people who work the desk were very friendly and the beach is a 1 minute walk away. There is a cat who seems to live on the property and is super friendly, she even came into our room a few times!

Our room was on the second floor and had a kitchenette area which was great because we had a little fridge where we kept water bottles and yogurts cold as well as stored our leftovers from meals.

Two downfalls would be the cockroaches and the mold/mildew smell. I know cockroaches are just a part of life in Mexico but we had stayed down the road the year prior, and did not experience cockroaches. As for the mold/mildew smell we picked up a can of Lysol air freshener at Walmart up the road and that seemed to help.

All in all, considering the price you pay (cheap!) any inconveniences are easily overlooked. We plan to stay at Coco Rio again this year, so I would have to say I'd recommend it to anyone (who's not afraid of bugs!).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony facing the street. It's lovely to be able to sit and have your mor...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank’s to Trip Advisor that allow us to replay to our guest , Dear Jaclyn thank you very much for your comment and for the good things you put about the hotel. Also about your point of cockroaches we want to apologize and say that the hotel operates once a month fumigation, but that does not mean that it completely exterminate, in addition the residents of next door have a garden area too and we are not sure if they do their fumigation, cockroaches may come from there too, we work hard at these points so that your next visit you will be completely satisfied.

Reviewed 10 March 2012

I returned from a trip for my birthday several weeks ago. Being on a solo trip as a young female my biggest concern was safety. The hotel is in a great location and I had no worries about my safety at all. It is conveniently located 1/2 a block off of 5th Ave and is at the quieter end of 5th Ave so you don't have to worry about music blaring all night but you can easily get to the music if you wanted to. The hotel beside it has a bar but the live music is only twice a week and is over by 11 so it's not really a problem. Also there is a computer with free internet access at the front as well as a mini lending library. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and spoke excellent English. It's not luxurious but for what you are paying it is an excellent value. I would definitely stay here again! Thank you Carlos for making it a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo