“Third Stay at Luna Blue”
Review of Luna Blue Hotel

Luna Blue Hotel
Ranked #93 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Boston, Massachusetts
“Third Stay at Luna Blue”
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Just got back from a solo long weekend trip to Playa del Carmen. Have stayed at several other little boutique hotels in PDC in between visits to Luna Blue, but chose to come back to my favorite. I had a treetop terrace room with my own private balcony; that was the best! The whole look and feel is quite tropical and really cute and they now have a new pool. They had a terrific Blues singer the whole weekend and a fabulous BBQ pool party on Sunday. Excellent way to end my mini vacation. It is the next best thing to being home in terms familiarity and comfort with coming and going (I was travelling alone). Loved the morning sweetbreads (coconut and banana were my favorites) sitting by the pool. The owners are terrific people and very hospitable. The staff are really great, especially Jaime and Alex who are the front desk managers. Jaime carried my piece of luggage up two flights to my tree top room and I tried to give him a little tip and he kindly refused; when does that happen in Mexico! Alex was always smiling and very friendly and helpful. I also made two friends by way of their pets Frankie and Osso; they stayed with me all night on my deck and meowed for me to come out in the morning (not too early though!). The deck - boy did I love getting to go food from the Mega Store (never knew they had preparted foods - yum and cheap) and having an awesome dinner on my patio, and a late evening snack listening to the band and lying in the hammock (accoustics are great sitting amongst the trees). Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: check out the website for room choices
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Donnerfairy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Polish first
Wyoming
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Just got back from our seventh stay at Luna Blue. That alone should say alot about the place since there are literally hundreds of other places in PDC we could choose.
We find everything we need and alot of other perks; our own balcony amongst the junglely treetops, tropical bar with swings for seats, beach passes to Mammitas, and live music two or three times every week we stay. And now a cool new pool.
The location suits us as we love to walk Fifth Av. and discover new restaurants, shops etc then have the relative peace by being a half a block off the center of the hustle and bustle. Also, it is an easy walk to Mammitas where we use the day passes provided everyday by Luna Blue.
Some people may prefer that their place be just like home, and that is cool, we like to not have neighbors absorbed by TV reruns, canned music and their own importance. Some of our best memories are connecting with the locals or talking to an adveturesome traveler who just got to town and was swinging at the bar enjoying one of Jorge's great margaritas.

Room Tip: The rooms with a fridge are handy
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LaloinMexico
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I have visited Luna Blue four (or is it five?) times now and have always enjoyed my stay so much that upon my return I feel I've arrived at a place that appreciates me and welcomes me.
This hotel is delightful in so many ways; the incredibly friendly staff and owners, everything as clean as your mother would want it, lush tropical plants and trees that give you a feeling that you're in a private part of the jungle, a bar with swing seats and a friendly bartender who knows how to make a margarita that I like! Add the swimming pool, and live music several nights of the week - what else could you want? OK - dozens of restaurants and a beautiful white sandy beach all within a short walk of your room. It's all there, and more. I and my companions love the Luna Blue and are already planning our return in the spring!

Room Tip: Upper rooms give a great view of the garden.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ken B
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 28 November 2011

This was the best travel experience I've ever had! The Owners are some of the most down-to-earth people I've ever met! My partner and I felt so welcomed, as did the rest of my family.... Everything from the pool, the bar, the AMAZING Muffins and Coffee in the morning, to the little Towel Art every morning, was everything I could have asked for! The staff is SO helpful! I will be making my way to Playa often, and I will only stay here! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Treetop Terrace and it was completely quiet and secluded!!!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Tj M
Grapevine, Texas
Reviewed 18 November 2011

What can I say about Luna Blue Hotel? Its convenient location in one of my favorite destinations was my original reason for choosing to stay at Luna Blue 5 years ago, but the hotel itself is the main reason I continue to return. Over the years it has gotten better and better with each visit. From the opening of the bar several years ago, to the most recent addition of the beautiful pool, I continue to be amazed at the atmosphere of the place. The owners and staff have helped me find new places to go and more fun things to do each time I visit. I leave with new friends and great memories every time. Luna Blue Hotel and Bar – there’s no place like it on earth.

Room Tip: Each room is unique. This is not a "cookie cutter" resort. I have the goal of staying at...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank catherineh164
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I have stayed at Luna Blue numerous times over the last five years. I can say it only gets better every time. For this trip they have added a swimming pool. This is an amenity I have been hoping for for years. I always thought it would be great to hop in the pool and cool off, after a long collectivo ride. It would only figure that this trip would have the coolest weather of all my trips. Did not stop me from getting a beer from the best bar in Playa and going for a swim to cool off. The staff at the Blue is great, most of them are all the same people from my first trip 5 years ago. This only speaks to what great people the owners Tony and Cheri are. If you need sight seeing advice, or even just a restraunt tip, they are a great resource. My wife and I keep saying we need to try someplace other than Playa for vacation, but for some reason, we keep ending up at Luna Blue. As a matter of fact, we are already planning our next trip.

Room Tip: I have stayed in 6 different rooms and have yet to find one I did not like.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank cycledogdvm
Reviewed 14 November 2011

First, the location is perfect. It is just far enough from the absolute center that parking on the street was not difficult, but still only about 2-3 blocks to Mamita's beach and only 1 block to the north end of the pedestrian shopping mall, i.e., fifth avenue. Lots of good restaurants within a 5-minute walk.

Second, the hotel itself is lovely - nice rooms centered around a small (unheated) pool. The staff and owners are very helpful and friendly, the margaritas at the bar were superb, and, as advertised, they give you free coupons for beach chairs and umbrellas at Mamita's beach club (plus 10% discount on any food you buy at the club - also pretty good food for not much money).

Third, the price is right - for the location and quality it is hard to beat $65/night for a double (plus tax). And you get exactly what they advertise - we didn't even bring a computer, but we know internet service is only where they say it is, and breakfast consists of coffee or tea and delicious chocolate and orange breads - again, exactly what they say they provide.

We will absolutely return here again and again, and we find it difficult to believe that anyone would rate this wonderful spot anything less than very good-excellent.

Finally, if you are considering whether or not to come to Playa del Carmen, rest assured that this is a safe, friendly, interest-filled town that is within just a few minutes from Xcaret (a must-do) and about an hour to Tulum (another must-do), with lots of other attractions within an hour.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple