“Long time listener, first time caller”
Review of Luna Blue Hotel

Luna Blue Hotel
Ranked #106 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Like many others, my first Playa Del Carmen vacation left quite an impression. I guess I became a bit obsessed really. I started reading online travel websites and forums constantly. That eventually led to rampant use of acronyms and even the occasional emoticon :-). My wife and I have returned at least twice a year ever since.

By coincidence, this was about the same time that Luna Blue’s owners, Tony and Cheri, started their expat hotel ownership adventure. Following them online made me a fan even if I wasn’t a customer yet. As a father with young kids, Luna Blue wasn’t an option and the all-inclusive setup suited our style the best at that time. That never prevented us from exploring downtown and I had been by Luna Blue a couple of times in the past.

When I finally had a chance to go to Playa by myself last October (2011), Luna Blue was the obvious choice. My original plan was to try two or three of the smaller, forum-famous, boutique hotels throughout the week. Like all of my travel plans, that changed. I ended up having a buddy of mine tag along at the last minute, and we decided to split the time between Luna Blue and one of the adults-only AIs.

The hotel looks interesting and friendly when you walk by on the street. The big wooden gate and thatch roof swing bar were a welcome sight when we arrived. Cheri actually handled checking us in while Tony gave us some good tips and restaurant suggestions. It was nice to meet them in person after reading their posts and blog for the last few years. That personal touch is surely part of what has made them successful, and it went a long way with me too. I booked the Treetop Terrace room with the large balcony. The pics online are good but don’t do it justice. That room alone is enough to make sure I come back again. I love that terrace! The buildings wrap around the garden and the view of the new pool below made me smile the entire time. I accidently slept most of my first night in the hammock out there. It was such a nice evening--- the cerveza was going down easy--- and next thing I knew, I woke up at 4:30am still swinging in the breeze.

The room was spotless, bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was nice. I always wondered what showering was like with one of those black cistern things on the roof :-) I felt so authentic. This place has style and owners that care. I wish I was a wordsmith and could make it sound better than that. My buddy had the room below and said it was fine but wished he had booked the other Treetop Terrace room.

After many trips to AI resorts in the area, I am very glad I stayed at Luna Blue. I plan to return with my wife later this year. She will be able to put this whole Luna Blue vibe into words better than I can. I can say it was a much more personal experience than staying at an AI. I’m an overly analytical person and my mind has too many things going on to put it all into a review. If you want to ask me any questions, feel free to send me a message. I’m happy to share my opinion.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank sandbarfly

Reviewed 26 January 2012

We stayed at the Luna Blue last year during a vacation to Playa and I cannot recommend this hotel enough. We stayed at both the Luna Blue and a resort up the street and when we go back we'll definitely be coming back to the Luna Blue before anywhere else. The rooms and property are clean and welcoming... the staff are fun and helpful... the bar is a great hang out any time of day... walking distance to the beach... right off the main walking strip and many other great perks. We look forward to staying again soon!

PS, we also got great suggestions from the owner on where to eat. Don't miss La Cueva del Chango for breakfast/lunch and Yaxche for dinner!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Billy V
Reviewed 21 January 2012

This was our first visit to Playa Del Carmen and we really enjoyed the atmosphere and convenience of the Luna Blue. Large resorts don't appeal to us and we are so happy we made the right choice when selecting Luna Blue. The location is perfect, so many restaurants right outside the door. Best of all is the staff, who helped us sort out all our excursions and even offerred to ship my daughter's cellphone back to us after it got left in the shuttle back to the airport. Rooms are very comfortable and clean. We can't wait to visit again. Thank you Alex, Jorge, Tony and Cheri!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Tracy H
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I really tested how far the owners at Luna Blue will go for their guests. I was coming from Cozumel and booked the room the night before through a smart phone i had borrowed from someone, well turns out i clicked on the wrong day to book it! To top it off I had met a friend for dinner and we had so much fun (that will happen in Playa) that i lost track of the time and didn't get to the hotel until 10:30 pm. With the help of the gentlemen at the neighboring hotel (thx Angel) we were able to talk with the night security man at Luna's, Mario. He was insistent that i didn't have a reservation for that night. Caring enough to not want to leave me in that situation he called Cheri and she very politely informed me that i had indeed booked for the next week!!! Well she was gratious enough to change the reservation and stay in a room for the night. I can't tell you how much i appreciated her sincere concern for my situation and getting me a place for the night. Thanks again Cheri, Mario and Angel!

Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank jdub-bitburg
LunaBlue, Owner at Luna Blue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We're very happy we were able to accommodate you. Hope you come and see us again.

Tony & Cheri, Owners
Luna Blue Hotel & Bar

Reviewed 9 January 2012

My wife and I returned to the Luna Blue for the sixth straight year. Our three-week stay was superb, just as we have learned to expect. The beautiful new pool is a wonderful addition. Thanks again to Tony & Cheri and their hardworking crew for providing us with another great stay.

Room Tip: Read the very accurate description of rooms on the Luna Blue website. That will help you choose the...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Travelingman36
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We stayed here for a week, have been to Playa many times. Have stayed in a number of boutique hotels, 20 rooms or less. The service at Luna Blue was exceptional, the employess were very friendly and knowledge. We loved the beach passes and the gym passes were great. We will definately return here next year, oh the free margarita were good too. A must visit.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank endlesssummer06
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We stayed at the the Luna Blue from Christmas to New Years, and cannot find enough good things to say about our experience.

The staff and owners are warm and friendly - willing to share information and tips (a good restaurant, where to catch a cab, the best beach club to go to) or just some good conversation over your morning coffee. Jorge the bartender makes a great margarita, and tells an even better joke. The environment is laid back and casual, yet the service and hospitality rivals anything you would receive at a high end all inclusive (except perhaps, at the Luna Blue they'll remember your name - an added bonus of the intimate nature of this hotel).

The rooms are clean and safe, and housekeeping does an amazing job every day. (We were hugely impressed on the next to last day, when they created an elephant out of towel art.) We used the safe but really didn't feel we needed to - the only one sneaking into your room will be one of the friendly resort cats, to take a nap on the bed.

The location of the Luna Blue itself is fantastic - just off La Quinta, but at the quieter and cheaper end (if there is such a thing as the "cheaper" end of La Quinta). We found it easy to explore from the hotel, but always enjoyed coming "home" at the end of the day. Alex and Jaime at the front were extremely helpful in assisting us with finding information and booking any type of tours or excursions.

In the end, we enjoyed our time so much we canceled a holiday in Canada we had planned for February, and decided to come back to the Luna Blue that week instead. We're already counting down the days!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple