“Amazing employees”

Ranked #89 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Halifax, Canada
“Amazing employees”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We booked here based on location and the reviews of tripadvisor.
Location was fantastic because it is right off 5th ave and close to the best beach ever, Mamitas!
The staff is what makes this experience wonderful!
Jorges and Alex were super, made it all worth while !!
The hotel itself is lovely. Lots of tropical greens around.
It isn't modern. Very typical Mexican feel to it.
I would recommend this boutique hotel to anyone who doesn't want a resort and who doesn't need a tv !!!

Room Tip: Tip the maids every day, they are amazing. And you can trust that your belongings will never go miss...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SerenityPromise

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Polish first
Vermont
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Loved the location, the bar, the pool and landscaping. Loved the staff super friendly and great information about local things to do. Including stuff off the beaten path. My only issue was with the room, it was clean for the most part, clean sheets and floor and bathroom clean but could have used a deep cleaning such as the sills and back of the lamps. The bathroom was cute with how the shower is placed but the area inside is painted and the wall inside the shower has shown some aging with cracks in the paint and mildew was noted. It would do better with tiling for sanitation reasons. The atmosphere of the place however is great, if you are an outgoing person it is easy to have pleasant interactions with fellow lodgers and staff.

Room Tip: The size and quality of the rooms appear similar however if you are interested in a private terrace...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank emerson33
Mahahual, Mexico
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Did have a reservation and it was a Friday night in Playa. I found this hotel which had a perfect location just off of 5th Avenue. The staff was very friendly and the room was extremely clean. Basic room, but the property was really well landscaped with a cute bar. I did not eat or drink there, but it looked like a fun place to hang out for a few days. I was only on town for the one night.

Room Tip: My room was closest to the street and it was quiet - I did have my A/C running, however.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank CostaMayaPaddler
NOTL, Ontario
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I stayed at the Luna Blue from Aug 16-20. Usually, our family do the AIs(we have 6 and 9 yo boys), but this was a solo trip for me and I wanted to stay in Playa to try it. I hadn't been to Playa in 9 years and the main reason for my trip to the area was to swim with the whale sharks. I also did 'spa day' at Playa Animal Rescue to help wash all the dogs there, and I'm pretty sure I walked 5th Ave about 20 times! The Luna Blue was suggested to me by a friend who is a travel agent and what a perfect place it was!! It's a real gem, steps from 5th Ave! Upon arrival, I was so happy to see that as soon as you step off the street and through the gates of the LB, it was paradise…beautiful jungly atmosphere, perfect little pool to cool off in, beautiful, clean rooms…it was awesome! I had room 34, which is a 'tropical hideaway' room, on the second floor. It had everything I needed including a safe, bottled water, mini fridge and wonderful balcony. You actually get 2 keys, one for your room and then one for the night entry, which you use after 11pm when everything else is locked. Rooms were kept very clean, with lovely towel art everyday. Air conditioning was controlled by a remote and very quickly cooled down the room…I would turn it off after the room was cool and it would stay comfortable for hours. The bar is an awesome spot and open from 3-11 Mon-Sat…not noisy at all if you're staying there and I enjoyed the music in the aft/evenings while I sat on my balcony and read. I was reluctant to go down to the bar as I was on my own and I'm kicking myself now! (oh well…have to go back next year and do it all again!!) Each morning at 7am, they put out coffee, tea and breads down by the reception area…this was fantastic!! Since I'm an early riser, I was down there just after 7 each morning…the coconut bread was to die for, but they were all really good, usually chocolate, choc chip and then one other. It stays out until 10:30-11…a perfect way to start the day! All the people that work there are so friendly and very helpful if you have any questions about the area, directions, etc…I really felt as though I had stayed there many times before! The pool is very enjoyable to have and since it was very hot for the 5 days I was there, I went in quite a bit to cool off…a really nice spot with a waterfalls right beside it and chairs and loungers…awesome! This was an amazing(but short!) trip and I would highly recommend the Luna Blue. Thank-you LB, for a great trip…see you next August!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank DDBcrazy
Merida, Mexico
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Found this hotel on trip advisor. Was wonderful, exactly as described on the hotel web site. Can't say enough good things about the owners and employees. Everyone went out of their way to help with any questions about Playa. The front desk recommended great restaurants outside the tourist area. My wife and I prefer local food to the food at the hotels and around 5th Ave. we loved the food at the recommended places. They also steered is to a great dive shop- Blue Dream. Can't wait to go back and snorkel and dive with them.

Wonderful place to spend my 65th birthday!

We also liked that there are no televisions in the rooms. Who wants to go ro Playa to sit in our room and watch tv! Also all the rooms are nonsmoking which we love. The rooms were simple, but roomy enough. Ours had a refrigerator which was very convenient. The rooms were also very clean. Internet was spotty, especially after it rained. But, they tell you that on their website. We had no problems, except wife's computer worked much better connecting to the Internet than my iPad.

Owner and his wife were very friendly and took the time to tell us about the town and surrounding areas. They were very knowledgable and shared that knowledge with us anda answered all the questions about Playa.

The tropical garden and pool were tranquil and a good place to unwind after strenuous days sightseeing and snorkling.

We loved the hotel, loved the dive shop, snorkling and diving (took lesson). Will be going back to Playa in September and will definitely stay at Luna Blue again. Another plus is the hotel is close ro everything including the beach.

Highest recommendation. We have stayed in hotels all over the world, primarily small, reasonable hotels and Luna Blue Is one of the best hotels that we have stayed at on our trips.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good. Wifi seems marginally better on the first floor, especially In rooms near th...
3 Thank morrislegal
Portland
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed here for 15 nights and loved every minute of it. The owners are super nice people and the staff as well in addition to being very helpful. They offer beach passes to the beach clubs. Mamitas is the closest and worked great for us. We'd spend the morning to mid afternoon at the beach and come back and enjoy the quaint pool to cool from the afternoon soon. After that a nice nap to avoid the heat of the day and then back out to have dinner. After dinner we'd come back and have some drinks at the hotel bar. Some various locals like to have some drinks here as well so you know it must be fun. The hotel was always clean and we felt safe there the entire time. Thanks Luna Blue for a great time!!

2 Thank mrbungle25
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 25 August 2012

My wife and I went to Playa del Carmen for our two year wedding anniversary and stayed at Luna Blue Hotel for five nights, we had a wonderful time! We stayed at one of two rooftop rooms and it was extremely clean and very bright. The balcony had a hammock which we found very relaxing.
Even before we arrived, the staff was extremely friendly when helping us with our room reservations and round trip transportation to/from the airport. The receptionists, Jaime and Alex were so nice and informative about the surrounding beach clubs. We would definitely go back there again!

2 Thank HappyTraveler88888