Luna Blue Hotel
US$379
US$281
  • Breakfast included
The Reef Coco Beach(Playa del Carmen)
US$196
US$506
BlueBay
US$387
US$377
Petit Lafitte(Playa del Carmen)
US$196
US$190
Iberostar Tucan Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
US$335
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Viceroy Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$816
US$796
Banyan Tree Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$922
US$354
US$320
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstropical hideawayswing barla quintaboutique hotelwater pressureshort walk to the beacheach morningair conditionerbeach chairsavejaimekitchenettepdcmexicovacationbartendermargaritas
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 September 2012

The Luna Blue is a great, economical boutique hotel in the north end of 5th avenue. This property is NOT a luxury hotel nor does it claim to be. The rooms are rustic and will have some wear and tear around the edges. During our stay everything worked and we were very comfortable for seven days.

Our room had an AC unit and a fridge that worked very well for us. We had a semi private balcony that was nice and was decorated to remind you of where you are. The bathroom was clean but our shower head had buildup (this is common as Playa has VERY hard water). We had fun treating it like a puzzle to get the water to come out right. The beds are very firm so be aware of that. Ours was a decent mattress on a wooden frame sans boxspring.

The staff are all great and will go out of their way to help with any issues or questions you have. One of the benefits of the Luna Blue is the small hotel bar that brings in local expats every Tuesday and Thursday for the Mike Grabow show. Mike is a great singer/musician who has accompaning guitarists Eric on Thursdays and Victor on Thursdays. Another bonus is teh new swimming pool that stays warm and inviting all day/night and has plenty of shade throughout the day. Very relaxing spot to wind down the day or wash the heat off.

As others have mentioned, the Luna Blue is in a fantastic spot that allows yout to walk to hundreeds of great bars, resturants and beach clubs within 10 minutes. Keep in mind you also get free access to five beach clubs for free which is a great added value.

I would highley recommend this hotel to anyone that is not expecting a luxury resort. For the price I think it is one of the best in Playa Del Carmen.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Shivors
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We booked here based on location and the reviews of tripadvisor.
Location was fantastic because it is right off 5th ave and close to the best beach ever, Mamitas!
The staff is what makes this experience wonderful!
Jorges and Alex were super, made it all worth while !!
The hotel itself is lovely. Lots of tropical greens around.
It isn't modern. Very typical Mexican feel to it.
I would recommend this boutique hotel to anyone who doesn't want a resort and who doesn't need a tv !!!

Room Tip: Tip the maids every day, they are amazing. And you can trust that your belongings will never go missing !!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SerenityPromise
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Loved the location, the bar, the pool and landscaping. Loved the staff super friendly and great information about local things to do. Including stuff off the beaten path. My only issue was with the room, it was clean for the most part, clean sheets and floor and bathroom clean but could have used a deep cleaning such as the sills and back of the lamps. The bathroom was cute with how the shower is placed but the area inside is painted and the wall inside the shower has shown some aging with cracks in the paint and mildew was noted. It would do better with tiling for sanitation reasons. The atmosphere of the place however is great, if you are an outgoing person it is easy to have pleasant interactions with fellow lodgers and staff.

Room Tip: The size and quality of the rooms appear similar however if you are interested in a private terrace and climbing steps then an upgrade is worthwhile however the lower level rooms were more convenient and pleasant.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank emerson33
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Did have a reservation and it was a Friday night in Playa. I found this hotel which had a perfect location just off of 5th Avenue. The staff was very friendly and the room was extremely clean. Basic room, but the property was really well landscaped with a cute bar. I did not eat or drink there, but it looked like a fun place to hang out for a few days. I was only on town for the one night.

Room Tip: My room was closest to the street and it was quiet - I did have my A/C running, however.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank CostaMayaPaddler
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I stayed at the Luna Blue from Aug 16-20. Usually, our family do the AIs(we have 6 and 9 yo boys), but this was a solo trip for me and I wanted to stay in Playa to try it. I hadn't been to Playa in 9 years and the main reason for my trip to the area was to swim with the whale sharks. I also did 'spa day' at Playa Animal Rescue to help wash all the dogs there, and I'm pretty sure I walked 5th Ave about 20 times! The Luna Blue was suggested to me by a friend who is a travel agent and what a perfect place it was!! It's a real gem, steps from 5th Ave! Upon arrival, I was so happy to see that as soon as you step off the street and through the gates of the LB, it was paradise…beautiful jungly atmosphere, perfect little pool to cool off in, beautiful, clean rooms…it was awesome! I had room 34, which is a 'tropical hideaway' room, on the second floor. It had everything I needed including a safe, bottled water, mini fridge and wonderful balcony. You actually get 2 keys, one for your room and then one for the night entry, which you use after 11pm when everything else is locked. Rooms were kept very clean, with lovely towel art everyday. Air conditioning was controlled by a remote and very quickly cooled down the room…I would turn it off after the room was cool and it would stay comfortable for hours. The bar is an awesome spot and open from 3-11 Mon-Sat…not noisy at all if you're staying there and I enjoyed the music in the aft/evenings while I sat on my balcony and read. I was reluctant to go down to the bar as I was on my own and I'm kicking myself now! (oh well…have to go back next year and do it all again!!) Each morning at 7am, they put out coffee, tea and breads down by the reception area…this was fantastic!! Since I'm an early riser, I was down there just after 7 each morning…the coconut bread was to die for, but they were all really good, usually chocolate, choc chip and then one other. It stays out until 10:30-11…a perfect way to start the day! All the people that work there are so friendly and very helpful if you have any questions about the area, directions, etc…I really felt as though I had stayed there many times before! The pool is very enjoyable to have and since it was very hot for the 5 days I was there, I went in quite a bit to cool off…a really nice spot with a waterfalls right beside it and chairs and loungers…awesome! This was an amazing(but short!) trip and I would highly recommend the Luna Blue. Thank-you LB, for a great trip…see you next August!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo