“The Perfect Christmas and New Years”
Review of Luna Blue Hotel

Luna Blue Hotel
Ranked #93 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Belle River, Canada
“The Perfect Christmas and New Years”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

My wife and I just returned from a 12 day stay at the Luna Blue. What a perfect place to spend Christmas and New Years Eve. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The grounds are kept up beautifully. Unfortunately Cheri was not feeling well and we didn't get to see her but we did get to talk to Tony and as always he was the gracious host.
Every time you return to the Hotel either Jaime, Alex or Mario greeted us like we were family and answered any questions we had. They are truly good people.
Who can forget Jorge either. When the bar got hopping on New Year's Eve watching Jorge pour and mix is like watching a ballet-but more interesting (in my opinion). Jorge is engaging but never intrusive and will always find a way to make sure your stay is fun.
We ran into people we had met two years ago while staying at Luna Blue and it was like meeting old friends again. It was a great feeling.
Thank you to Tony and Cheri, and the entire Luna Blue staff for another great stay.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Vigilant1104

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 2 January 2013

... I prefer the Luna Blue Hotel.

This was my fifth stay here and I am looking forward to planning my sixth. Is it the lush tropical gardens that keep me coming back? Is it the swinging barstools under the large palapa with Jorge serving Playas best drinks that make me return? Or is it the friendly staff that treats you like family the moment you arrive? Yes, Yes, and Yes.
Luna Blue to me is one of the hidden gems of Playa del Carmen in a great location close to everything. Within walking distance are restaurants, beach clubs, taxis, shopping and much, much more. You do however, need to know what to expect from this quaint little hotel. What you won’t get here is an obnoxious “All Inclusive” resort. There are no TV’s here, no phones, and no restaurant on premises. What you get is a clean room with plenty of fresh drinking water and AC, and depending on which room you request, a refrigerator, Kitchenette and balcony. I suggest you visit the website to see which room will fit your needs. I’ve stayed in just about every type room at the Luna Blue and have yet to be disappointed.
The front desk crew of Jaime and Alex are two of the nicest guys you’ll run into while staying in Playa. They can arrange transportation, recommend places to eat and answer just about any question you might have. I wanted to give them a shout out because I think they deserve a lot more credit than they usually get.
If you spend more than a day or two there, you are likely to run into the owners Tony and Cheri on property. If there is any question on why the staff is so helpful and friendly, it has to be because of the influence of Tony and Cheri. It doesn’t matter how busy they are, they’ll always stop and chat with you and make sure everything is to your liking and if there is anything else they can do for you.
In closing, I just wanted to write another brief review of my most recent stay and after my fifth time, it’s still as magical as my first. There are many places to choose from while in Playa del Carmen, but Luna Blue has earned a place in my heart for many reasons. Stay there once and you’ll understand.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank RogerinDallas
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 21 November 2012

What an excellent little hotel!
We went here earlier this month and stayed two weeks and had just an amazing vacation.
10 Reasons I LOVE the Luna Blue Hotel:

10. Kitty - they have a kitty named Frankie, well actually 3 cats but Frankie the orange cat is very friendly and nice. Every night he would visit us before bed and we would pet him and cuddle. He made us feel at home.

9. No TV - there is no TV and that is GOOD! You are in Mexico, one of the most beautiful beaches in the world is footsteps from your door along with an amazing nightlife in Playa. You have no excuses to watch TV. Don't.

8. Bar Fridge and a Water Cooler in every room - that's right we had a water cooler! It was amazing. Too much Tequila no longer a problem to stay hydrated in the middle of the night.

7. Big Beach Towels - you get to borrow their amazing large beach towels and get new ones anytime you want free

6. Beach Passes - Mamitas beach club has been rated in the top 5 beaches in the world by that travel channel, they charge approx $15 a day to rent 2 lounge chairs and an umbrella with service. You get this FREE from Luna Blue every day! You also have 4 other clubs to choose from

5. American Hotel Owners - Cheri and Toni and originally from the SF bay area. They now live in Mexico which means you can be assured you will be understood, and if your from the US or Canada it is nice to be with some fellow Gringo's. They make excellent guides.

4. Mexican Charm - the hotel is cute and of an authentic local Mexican decor. The garden is quiet and relaxing.... look at the pictures!

3. Value - the prices are very reasonable and fair. You save much more staying here and eating on 5th or 10th than going to a crowded all inclusive

2. Location - right in the heart of 5th ave, the tourist stretch. A 1 mile walking street full of shops and bars. Lots of live music and entertainment

1. Strong Wi-Fi - Most hotels in Mexico have crummy Wi-Fi. I've stayed in 6 hotels in the area and talked with many other computer geeky friends and none of us have had strong Wi-Fi signal in our rooms. Oh and I'm talking 5 Stars like the Royal too - lovely property, bad Wi-Fi there, but not at Luna Blue! I'm confident they have the best in town. 5 bars full signal no matter where I went. Heck even a block over I was able to get on their Wi-Fi and make a Skype call from my iPhone. For me that made my vacation. As much as i love to get away access to email in the mornings and evenings is essential. That way I can post to Facebook, connect with friends, get my Kindle books, news, and check the occasional email from work.

Room Tip: Spend more money and get a private balcony if private balconies are your bag, baby! Otherwise all t...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
17 Thank ManagementBee
LunaBlue, Owner at Luna Blue Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a long review, and we're very glad you had a nice time at the Luna Blue. You touched on so many of the things that we think make our hotel unique, and we're glad you appreciated those things as much as we enjoy providing them.

We are also very happy to hear your comments about our wi-fi service. We just recently updated our wi-fi so that the signal reaches inside each and every room. Our previous service only allowed access in the common areas, so we're very excited about our new system and its extended coverage. We know that people are, more and more, wanting to stay connected to friends and family back home when traveling, so we thought it was a worthwhile improvement to make. We're very happy it made your trip more enjoyable.

We hope you come back and visit us again soon.

Tony & Cheri, Owners
Luna Blue Hotel & Bar
Kansas
Reviewed 19 November 2012

The location just can't be beat for an in town stay. The lobby/garden/bar/pool areas are very nice. The pool was a bit cool as it is shaded from the sun most of the day. The room was very basic but clean. Privacy was a bit lacking s the curtains had gaps at the edges. Air Con worked well and cooled down quickly. You do have a bit of a wait for the hot water to arrive but once it did it was plenty hot. Alex was very helpful at the front desk. The music from the Luna Blue bar was pleasant and ended at 11:00 pm but Thursday night produced some very loud techno music from somewhere very nearby until early in the AM. Probably a 3.5 star rating if that was available.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank RastamanInKansas
Washington
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Just got back from 5 days in Playa. We stayed at Luna Blue and all I can say is it was Awesome. From the time we got there and were greeted by Alex (the friendly front desk guy) I felt like I was in paradise. I loved the feel of the small boutique hotel and the owner Tony made sure to personally make us feel welcome. The rooms were clean and we enjoyed seeing the different shapes the maids were able to make out of our towels each day we returned to our rooms. We had a problem with our fridge and they promptly got us another one and even moved our food out of one into the new one. I would certainly recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for a personal touch and not into the large corporate high rises. Oh and by the way Jorge is an awesome bartender.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank luv2tvl123
California
Reviewed 11 November 2012

This charming small hotel is right off the main shopping/restaurant street and only a couple short blocks to the beach. It felt safe and secure. Our room had a comfy queen bed, fridge and large balcony over looking the pool and garden area. Staff was very friendly, accomodating and helpful. Bonus: 2 hotel cats to pet.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank reptar
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Excellent location for eating, shopping and beach (1/2 block from main tourist 5th Avenue). Love the tropical open-air feel around the pool and bar. We stayed in the tree top room (fridge,stove,coffee maker, utensiles, etc) Room was basic but perfect (missed having a microwave) but not a necessity. Forced you to get out of the room to socialize w/other visitors over the complimentary morning coffee/tea/cake/breads which were YUMMY.. Air conditioner was a little noisy but didn't use it every day as our visit was late Oct/early Nov. The towel art (by Gloria)was something to look forward to each day. Hammock on our front porch was definitely used! Front porch also had chairs and small table. Front desk staff was excellent. Even made arrangements to have a "special birthday cake" made for someone of our group. Bar area had swings and top shelf alcohol/beer.All part of the tropical feel. Great service/friendly staff too. Accepted pesos or US $. Clean pool area. Resident kitties added to the mom/pop homey feel. Cheri & Toni were very friendly and made you feel welcome as family not just visitors.

Room Tip: We prefer full kitchen for heating up leftovers, having coffee in the room, etc. Unit 7 (tree top) w...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends