My wife and I were here for a week in August, '08. We based our decision to stay at the Luna Blue on previous reviews and we were not at all disappointed. We found the grounds of the hotel beautiful and well kept -- a tropical jungle with a bar. Our room was clean and more minimalist in its decoration -- white and blue with Spanish arches. We had an endless supply of water, as promised. We opted for a room with a small refrigerator; we filled it up a couple of times by walking fifteen minutes away from the touristy part of Playa through more authentically Mexican neighborhoods to -- ironically -- the Wallmart. The hotel staff was friendly and courteous in every possible way; they changed our bathroom towels each day (even twisting them up to look like swans, if you're into that kind of thing) and gave us beach towels whenever we needed them; they kept our room immaculate. We had one bump in our trip -- I got sick -- and the hotel staff immediately directed me to a doctor a few blocks away. (He saw me almost immediately and I was better by the evening). They followed up to see how I was doing as well. The hotel is in a quieter stretch of Playa, a bit removed from most of the bars, so we never had too much noise and had no problems sleeping at any point. This is important if you go during high season and want to find a stretch of beach that is not overcrowded -- Luna Blue gives you free passes to Mamita's Beach Resort -- a beautiful beach with turquoise water -- but you have to get there early for a spot (with the palapa covering to protect you from the sun, which can get brutal). This means, at least for us, getting to bed not too late, to be up and at the beach by 8. Maybe this isn't the case at other times of the year -- not sure. One small detail -- the VIP discount card the hotel gave us was not honored at all Playa restaurants, contrary to what the card itself says. This is not the hotel's fault, just an example of bad business on the part of some establishments.
Luna Blue is great value and a fantastic place. We could not have asked for more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luna Blue Hotel is located in Playa del Carmen's popular north end, three short blocks from the beach and half a block from the restaurants, shops and nightlife of 5th Avenue. This boutique hotel features palapa-covered balconies, a sunken tropical garden swimming pool, a lush garden, and one of the most popular bars in town. The hotel offers free use of four beach clubs and various local discounts. American owners and their bilingual staff offer you personal attention during your stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Priceline, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Luna Blue Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Luna Blue Hotel Garden
- Luna Blue Playa Del Carmen
- Luna Blue Hotel Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen