My boyfriend and I spent 3 nights at Luna Blue at the start of our vacation in March. We had initially planned on a week there, but changed our plans at the last minute and went to Isla Holbox for 4 nights instead (a wise choice for us - we loved it).
I'm finally getting around to reviewing this place - very clever of the management to send out an email saying thank you for your visit and asking you to do so!
Luna Blue is a lovely hotel but I must agree with previous reviewers that for us, it was nothing overly special, especially when it came to the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. It was just, well, average. We also had a similar experience with the towels and beach club passes, and when we asked for a breakfast recommendation we were directed to one of the worst, cheeziest places for breakfasts we had on our entire trip (La Vagabunda?) Maybe we just ordered the wrong things! I also have to agree with the other reviewer about Mamita's, which was PACKED solid with no hope of an umbrella if you got there any time after 9 am, not to mention the grumpy wrist band dudes that sullenly took our passes as if we weren't really welcome there...
We're glad we came to Playa del Carmen (although I doubt we would return) and I definitely recommend Luna Blue in terms of a clean, cute, funky little hotel. The beach club was an experience but in no way shape or form he kind of beach holiday that we were looking for! But isn't that why you go places, to check it out, and then learn what you enjoy and don't enjoy?
Isla Holbox (Mawimbi Hotel to be exact) was definitely more like it for us, and the friendly, warm family-like atmosphere that I'd been expecting at Luna Blue was much more evident here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luna Blue Hotel is located in Playa del Carmen's popular north end, three short blocks from the beach and half a block from the restaurants, shops and nightlife of 5th Avenue. This boutique hotel features palapa-covered balconies, a sunken tropical garden swimming pool, a lush garden, and one of the most popular bars in town. The hotel offers free use of four beach clubs and various local discounts. American owners and their bilingual staff offer you personal attention during your stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Odigeo, Priceline, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Luna Blue Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Luna Blue Hotel Garden
- Luna Blue Playa Del Carmen
- Luna Blue Hotel Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen