“Luna Blue is an amazing find”
Review of Luna Blue Hotel

Luna Blue Hotel
Ranked #93 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
A TripAdvisor Member
“Luna Blue is an amazing find”
Reviewed 15 June 2006

We stayed at the Luna Blue in June of '06, after having some booking difficulties with a larger hotel on the beach (long story)
The Luna Blue was a whole different experience; the owners, Tony and Cheri were extremely personable, and got back to me within a couple of hours throughout the whole booking process.
The hotel itself is very nice, clean and spacious (we stayed in one of the kitchenette rooms). I hear that there are plans to add in a jacuzzi and bar as well! So, it should get even better in the months to come.
It's true that the hotel is a couple blocks from the beach, but I'd even recommend staying here over a place on the beach, as you get free passes to a very nice beach club (in my opinion, better than having to pay a lot of money and search around for chairs)
One of the greatest advantages to this place is Tony and Cheri themselves. They were an invaluable source of info about local restaurants, activities, etc. They are friendly and enthusiastic about giving advice to travelers...don't miss the butcher shop steak restaurant!

All in all, this hotel is a fantastic find, and made our stay in PDC a much more enjoyable experience. It really shows that Tony and Cheri are the owners of this place, as they personally care very much about the well-being of their guests.

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 14 June 2006

Luna Blue is a lush little oasis of a hotel in the heart of beautiful Playa Del Carmen. Tony and Cheri are wonderful people who welcome you like old friends. Their staff is attentive and kind. My fiancé, my friend, and myself were given excellent advice upon arrival for places to eat and have fun. Luna Blue, although not right on the beach, has an affiliation with a beach resort down the block, which makes it easy to get a good lounge on the beach. That is just one example of a great host. They really want you to enjoy their town as they do.

I stayed in one of the smaller rooms, which was simple yet cozy. The hotel is quiet and clean and so close to the fun of Playa del Carmen you'll be amazed how peaceful it is.

I would love to try the Tree Top rooms because I hear they're great. Next time I'm there I will reserve Luna Blue in advance. It's worth it.

Thanks again Tony & Cheri for a wonderful time.

-Chris P

14 Thank Chris P
Columbus, OH
Reviewed 13 June 2006

My husband and I just got back from a week in Playa Del Carmen and the Luna Blue. I have stayed in the biggy all inclusive resorts before and this is the first time I stayed in a hotel. Let's just say I will never do the resort thing again. The Luna Blue has wonderful rooms overlooking a beautiful garden. Tony and Cheri (the owners) are awesome. They actually made the hotel feel like a home away from home. They had wonderful suggestions ranging from where to eat to things to do that most tourists wouldnt even know about. The Luna Blue is clean, beautiful, close to one of the nicest beaches in the area and you get all the excitement of 5th ave. without being on top of it. I would highly recommend this to anyone and everyone. We are already planning are next trip there.

18 Thank lulu17
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 June 2006

I visited Playa del Carmen for the first time a couple weeks ago and stayed at the Luna Blue Hotel. Not only is this hotel very quaint and charming, but the friendly (and helpful) owners Tony and Cheri are icing on the cake. They made our trip so warm and memorable. Luna Blue is just a couple blocks from the beach and walking distance to all the action. It's a perfect location -- situated in a more quiet area which made for good sleep and relaxation after a fun night of dinner and dancing (just blocks away). It's a GREAT deal and I highly recommend it! I plan on going back to Playa in a couple months and will most certainly return to this little gem of a hotel! Thanks Tony & Cheri!

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Orange County, California
Reviewed 11 June 2006

There are plenty of excellent reviews here already about the Luna Blue, and just wanted to add my thanks to Toni and Cheri for being wonderful hosts. I stayed here with 3 of my buddies the last week of May 2006, and we had a good time. We stayed in a kitchen suite, which was roomy and clean. The free passes to Mamitas beach were a great bonus.
The hotel is nice and clean, the owners are super great; the location is good. You just can't beat this hotel if you're on a budget and don't want to stay in a big impersonal all-inclusive hotel!

12 Thank blossom
austin, texas
Reviewed 8 June 2006

WE LOVED LUNA BLUE and would recommend it to anyone....perfect location, lovely balconies, bottled water, fantastic deal, wonderful hosts, quiet, unique, clean- its truly a little paradise. we can't wait to go back!

8 Thank victoriaaustin
River Falls, WI
Reviewed 6 June 2006

My husband and I just returned from a week's stay at the Luna Blue, and want to add our comments to the accolades for this truly "magical and intimate" hotel. From the moment your feet step onto their property, the staff of this charming place goes out of its way to make your stay with them a memorable one. It was our first stay in Mexico, too, and even though we're relatively seasoned travelers, receiving a warm welcome and a friendly smile goes a long way to relieve the stress of arriving in an unfamiliar place. Tony's gardens are full of tropical beauties that we only see in hothouses where we come from, and we began each morning and unwound every night sitting out on our little terrace enjoying the scenery. All of the staff was extremely helpful, from planning our day trips to just finding a great dinner spot. Do take their recommendations; they know what they are talking about! Tony steered us to his favorite snorkeling spot (a protected lagoon in Akumel, and the bay just south of there where my husband got to see a big reef shark up close), and they both gave well-deserved praise for some great restaurants. Check out their listings on the forum, you won't be disappointed. Having knowledgeable hosts that treat you like family is practically unheard of; Tony and Cheri and their staff are the main reason people will return to Luna Blue as many times as they can. Add to this the immaculate rooms with fresh linens replaced daily, purified drinking water, a frig and a safe for your valuables, and you've got home away from home. We LOVED the location, a block off the best people watching street in town filled with every type of restaurant and shop you can imagine. You can't go wrong in checking out this little gem of a hotel. Tony and Cheri, you've justly earned the praise of all your guests! If you'd like any more tips, feel free to email us, we'd love to share our experience in Playa.

11 Thank Jeffski