“Top of the Line”

Ranked #94 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Jefferson City, MO
“Top of the Line”
Reviewed 26 September 2006

Stayed at this lil place in June-just a long weekend away. We are no newcomers to Playa del Carmen, been visiting several times a year since 1987. I'd watched as the old place took on a new character and had read some fabulous things about new owners and thought I'd give them a try. Reasonable rates and we lucked out getting the roof-top terrace room #9. The "love -nest" they call it. Had all the help we needed with our luggage to the top too! Beautiful, clean, a view to "die-for" and privacy. The owners were away that particular weekend so I don't know if the staff was on their "better than average" behavior but if that kind of treatment is the norm, you'll not only be treated like royalty but most likely make a friend for life as we did with Genaro, the day-time desk clerk. We now will be booking all our trips to Playa at the Luna Blue, we've found a home away from home.

• Liked — location to 5th Ave, beach and friendly staff
  • Disliked — too short of stay
  • Tips/Secrets — book early
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Popeyeiam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Polish first
Tyler, Texas
Reviewed 26 September 2006

I had spent some time at Luna Blue during February 2006 as I had friends that were staying there. So, when I returned in June this year we booked the Love Nest and one of the kitchenette rooms. Both rooms were great!!! This hotel is set in a beautiful garden area and close to the north beaches (which are my favorite).

Tony and Cheri are awesome owners. They really seem to care about their guests. They made us feel very welcome. They have done a fabulous job with this charming smaller property. I highly recommend staying at Luna Blue!!! Matter of fact, I already am booked for another stay in November there.

• Liked — Hospitality and Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with friends
11 Thank Angelhouston
brooklyn
Reviewed 23 September 2006

This is the cutest hotel! It's a beautiful jungle oasis on the northern end of PDC. The hotel is right off 5th Avenue (so it's nice and quiet) but extremely close to the action...it's an easy walk to all of the shops and restaurants, and the beach. Staying at the hotel gives you access to the beach club's chairs and umbrellas. (Though the club advertises that there's a pool, be aware that it's pretty much just a small kiddy pool.)
Tony and Cheri were wonderful and took care of every detail personally. They had excellent recommendations on where to eat (HC Monteray has the best steak I've ever tasted - we went 2 days in a row!), things to do, and how to get there. Everyone on the staff is lovely and helpful.
My husband and I stayed in a Superior room...all rooms had a little patio out front, great for sipping wine and reading in the afternoon/evening (but bring bug spray!) The beds were firmer than I thought I'd like, but I slept great! I wish we had more time there!
A great find! I highly recommend it!

7 Thank schpidah
Reviewed 19 September 2006

1. This hotel has a bad problem with biting insects. We are guessing this is because they have dug a big hole in their grounds in preparation for a swimming pool. Unfortunately we think this big hole is collecting standing water and acting as a breeding ground for insects. Depending on weather conditions these insects are affecting some of the rooms quite badly.

2. The hotel owners are very defensive about their problem with biting insects and if you complain you are treated unprofessionally.

Here is a detailed timeline of our short and unhappy stay at the Luna Blue.

We booked online for 4 nights at the Luna Blue to celebrate our fourth year anniversary after reading the glowing reviews on tripadvisor.

Afternoon 7/6: We arrived and had a pleasant and speedy check-in. The room we had, number 21, was dark, but otherwise OK. It was a Kitchenette suite. The main improvements I would suggest would be some draws to store clothes. We were hungry and headed out to find some lunch. We asked Cheri for some suggestions which she kindly gave us and for which we thanked her.

Early Evening 7/6: I was using my laptop out in the lobby (the wireless didn't work in our room) and was struck by just how many insects there were. As a result my husband and I took great care to shut the door quickly when coming in and out our room because we were scared of the insects getting in. I was perturbed that I was catching mosquitos in the bathroom but I congratulated myself after killing the visible ones. We headed out for dinner and drinks.

Nightime 7/6: After dinner we returned to the hotel and found the nighttime hotel attendant dealing with irate guests who were complaining about a mosquito explosion in their room. We went to sleep or at least tried to but it was very hard as we kept on being bitten. We didn't sleep much sadly.

Morning 7/7:
We awoke to find insect sized blood marks on the sheet. I told my husband that I didn't think I could stay in our room any longer. We made a plan whereby he would find out if we could swop to a higher-up room away from the standing water or get a refund for our prepaid nights, while I scoped out the area to find out if there were alternative hotels where the insect problem was less severe.

The owners arrived after my husband had waited for an hour in the lobby, being told that they were "just coming" and were "two blocks away". They were scornful and dismissive, and attributed our problems to our not understanding the nature of a rainy season. Tony initially offered to move us to a higher-up room, and told us that no other guests had had problems. My husband mentioned the other guests we had heard complaining, and Tony told him that, as the other guests had not checked out, there was no evidence of there being a problem. My husband suggested that this might not be conclusive evidence that there was not a problem. Tony then withdrew the offer of an alternate room in pique, and said that we could either remain where we were or leave without being refunded for our remaining nights' stay that we had prepaid.

(My husband also mentioned that I was out looking at other hotels to evaluate whether they had such bad insect problems. The owners of the Luna Blue disliked this as evidence of customer disloyalty. My husband also mentioned that he thought the hotels near the beach might have less of a problem with insects because of the ocean breezes. At no point did he say that we wanted a room on the beach as the management (may) claim below, only that we wanted a room free of a biting insect problem. We had afterall happily booked into a hotel which we knew was not on the beach and paid for four nights - hardly the actions of people who did not know their own minds about the location they wanted in Playa.)

We left the hotel feeling very upset. Both that we had inadvertently booked into a place which treated their guests with such scorn and also a little upset that we lost \$270 in this manner for our prepaid but unused nights. I personally find it an unacceptable management action to make an offer of an alternate room and then capriciously withdraw it because they took a dislike to the guests.

We checked into the Alhambra which was a lovely hotel. I don't know if it was the Ocean breezes or the lack of a breeding grounds for insects but I didn't see a single insect in my time there and I certainly didn't get bitten again.

• Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
18 Thank TuckerFamily
LunaBlue, Owners at Luna Blue Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2006
This is not a review, it is a vendetta. It has now been posted in various forms three different times—in July, August and now September—in an attempt to damage our well-earned reputation. This couple did not leave our hotel because of insects or poor customer service, but because the reviewer decided she wanted a hotel on the beach. When we refused to provide them a refund, she retaliated by posting and re-posting various slanderous versions of her story. In fact, neither we nor any member of our staff ever exchanged a single word with this woman, nor was she present for a single conversation at the hotel. The exchanges with us that she relates in her review are secondhand information, having occurred between her husband and us, not her. Here are the actual facts, written by those of us who were actually present at the time.

First of all, the reviewer makes references to a hole dug for a swimming pool which supposedly acts as a breeding ground for insects. We have no hole dug on our property. The reviewer is obviously referring to the cenote which adjoins the hotel property. Cenotes are depressions in the limestone of this region and are found throughout the Mayan Riviera. Most cenotes fill up with water to create natural swimming holes. Others, such as ours, are dry. Cenotes were considered sources of magical power by the Mayans and are still protected by law. We couldn’t put a swimming pool in our cenote even if we wanted to. We have turned our cenote into a tropical garden with a deck and gorgeous waterfall. What connection this has to insects we don’t quite know. Perhaps if this reviewer had spent a little more time learning about the beauty and culture of our adopted home she would have had a better appreciated what Playa and the Luna Blue had to offer.

Secondly, the Luna Blue has no problem with biting insects. The night this reviewer arrived, Playa del Carmen had its first strong rainstorm of the season. Afterwards there was a flurry of activity by some kind of flying insect throughout Playa. This hatching or swarm, whatever it was, is rare but can happen. Our little town is carved out of the jungle and yes we have insects here as do other tropical and semi-tropical locales (ever been in Louisiana or southern Florida in the summer?). The activity was relatively minimal and for an hour or two, one could see an unusual number of flying insects all over Playa. By late night, even after more rainfall, they were gone, and by morning there was absolutely no sign of them at all.

As to the question of our professionalism, the following is what really happened: This reviewer and her husband arrived at our hotel. Her husband checked them in and talked with us at the front desk. When early evening arrived, the reviewer’s husband asked Cheri for restaurant recommendations (while the wife/reviewer stood across the courtyard and waited) which she happily gave him. He shook her hand and thanked her, and we assume they went on to dinner. We didn’t see them again that evening (in fact, we never saw her, the reviewer, again). There was certainly no communication of any complaints.

Early the next morning we were still at home two blocks away when we received a call from the hotel saying that the guests in question wanted to speak with us. We arrived as soon as we could and found the husband waiting for us in the reception area. He said that they really liked their room and had no problem with it but that they wanted their money back so that they could move to a different hotel. When we asked him the reason, he stated it was because there were too many mosquitoes.

Tony attempted to solve the problem with the guest, as we do with every guest with an issue. He explained that the insects had appeared in numbers the night before because of the previous day’s heavy rainstorm, noting they had been everywhere in Playa. However, to reassure the guest, Tony said that we would spray inside and outside the room. Or, if they wished, we would move them from their ground floor room to another room on the highest floor, explaining that if there were mosquitoes, they might tend to stay closer to the ground. In addition, we offered to provide them with insect repellent, although we noted that the activity brought on by the previous night’s rainstorm had abated. The husband refused each of these offers and again demanded a full refund.

(The reviewer claims there were other guests complaining at the front desk about the “biting insects.” This simply did not happen. Most people who travel to tropical areas are aware that insects are occasionally part of life.)

Tony calmly and politely told him we would not issue a refund simply because there had been mosquitoes after a rainstorm. It was pointed out to him that on our website, in our emails, in his written confirmation and on the registration form which he signed, it clearly stated there were no refunds for guests who wish to leave early. Tony said that if there had been some service or facility which was less than had been promised, it would be a different situation.

Sensing a new opportunity to gain a refund, the guest said they DID have other problems with the room (although just minutes before he had told us they really liked it). When we asked what problems he was referring t, he sat and thought for several moments, searching desperately for some complaint. Finally, he said that the mattress was too firm. Tony responded that we could arrange for a mattress cushion. Was there any other problem? No, the guest said, that was it. We then offered to explain the situation to his wife who he said was the source of the alleged complaints. Now the truth of the matter came out. His wife was not present, as she had already left the hotel to find a beachfront room before we even arrived that morning. At that point he finally admitted to us, “My wife really wants to be by the beach.”

Our response to the reviewer’s husband was simple: We were very sorry, but had they wanted a beachfront property, they should have booked one when planning their vacation. This was not a reason for a refund. At that point the guest’s attitude was made quite clear to us: unless we refunded his money in full, they would leave the hotel, find a beachfront property to his wife’s liking, and then publicly criticize us. (This of course, is exactly what they did.)

After this threat, Tony told him we would have no further conversations on the topic; they could stay in the room they reserved or they could leave, but there would be no refund. Shortly thereafter, the husband returned the keys to the front desk and left. We never saw the wife/reviewer again.

It is sad when someone acts in this fashion, sadder still when anger becomes obsession. In the end we can only suggest that tripadvisor readers compare this reviewer’s alleged experience with the other ninety-five reviews posted here and judge for themselves the merits of this person’s claims.

Tony & Cheri Head
Luna Blue Hotel & Garden

Alberta
Reviewed 7 September 2006

This is a hard one to write as we are trying to balance the good with the bad.

During our first 5 nights, we had the roof top terrance room which was quite nice with the private patio. We basically had complete privacy as no one could see us up there. It was a very romantic room to have as we could sit out on the patio naked at night and there was no one around. The one thing that made it difficult was that the air conditioner basically blows right at the bed, so you get all of this cold air on you through the night. It was also a bit loud, but I can sleep through anything. The bed was really hard, so we ended up going to the store to buy a cheap mattress pad ($20)which made a HUGE difference that our backs did not hurt as much. With the all the unused space in the room, it would have been nice to have a small counter or something in the room to put things on. We bought things from the grocery store like yogurt, drinks, granola bars, bottled water, instant noodles etc. and we had no where to put it but on the floor beside the fridge. It would be nice to have some small things like a blow dryer and coffee maker, etc. in the room. We ended up going to buy a kettle so we could boil water for coffee and instant noodles. The only problem is that whenever we plugged it in, it blew the fuse in the room at night so we had to go downstairs each night to get them to reset the fuse. I wouldn't think that a kettle would draw that much power to blow the fuse, but it did every night.

I would have to agree with previous reviews that they need to replace that soap as it is totally useless as it does not lather. When we were at the grocery store, we bought soap and shampoo for the room.

One thing that we read was how helpful the owners are, but we barely saw them during our 11 day stay. We each ran into Tony once separately. We were kind of disappointed as it was difficult finding things out like where to go fishing, snorkelling, etc. as the front desk people did not know what to tell us which surprises me as they are locals. We think we might have seen Cheri in the office a couple of times, but when we at the front desk, she never came out to even say hello, let alone see if there was anything we needed or advice. We were wondering what was going on ? Did something change ?

We moved rooms on the 6th day as we had booked late so we could only get the rooftop terrace for the first half of our stay. We moved into the deluxe kitchen suite which was much larger. The air conditioner was much more quiet and did not blow on the bed. The kitchen was nice as it had everything there like cutlery (which we had to buy when we were in the first room), bowls, plates, and a counter with a sink. There was even a small kitchen table which was nice. Our kettle did not blow the fuse in this room !!! The trade off for this room was a smaller bathroom, a double bed instead of a queen and a semi private balcony. We really missed the private patio and separate front covered terrace of the rooftop room. In a way, I think the deluxe room was maybe a more practical room, but I don't think that it would take that much to add to the rooftop terrance room - a counter, a sink, some dishes and small appliances. I doubt that anyone has used the stove in this room, so that would not be needed.

Overall, would I stay here again, probably yes as it wasn't a bad place by any stretch, but I would definitely bring a few things like a mattress pad, blow dryer, soap and shampoo. I think that it was a nice little place to stay and very close to everything.

I think what saved us for the trip was renting a car online before coming here as it gave us so much freedom to go buy these things that we needed to make it more comfortable. Walmart and Mega (Mexican Superstore) was not too far away and we could transport whatever we needed. It also gave us the freedom to go to all the ruins, Akumal for snorkelling and fishing, HIdden Worlds, Xcaret, Cancun, Puerto Moreales, etc. for ALOT cheaper and faster than any of the tours. The trip from Cancun to Luna Blue would have been $60 each way so $120 return. Our midsized car rental for 11 days including insurance was only $341 plus gas. I think we were able to see and do more with the car than if we took the tours, taxis or transport vans. It is NOT hard driving in Mexico, I don't think that it is that much different from driving in most major cities.

• Liked — The location is so close to everything but away from the crazy noise from the restaurants/clubs
  • Disliked — Hard beds, bad soap
  • Tips/Secrets — There is wireless internet but you have to be just about outside by the courtyard or close to a courtyard window.
15 Thank CanadianAnalyst
LunaBlue, Owner at Luna Blue Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2006
Thank you for your kind words and suggestions. People sometimes forget that the only way innkeepers know what works and what doesn’t is from the feedback they get from guests. Your comments, along with some of the others on tripadvisor, have been very helpful. Here are some of the ways we are trying to improve our hotel based upon what people have said:

Beds: We are now in the process of equipping all of our beds with a mattress cushion. Some people like a harder bed; some folks like you prefer it softer. The mattress cushions are a solution that lets everyone have the type of bed they want.

Air conditioners: When we bought the hotel a year ago, every room had the old style box AC which contains both fan and compressor and as a result tends to be noisy. As part of our ongoing remodeling, we are replacing the older air conditioners with the split style units which place the noisy compressor outside. Right now, over half of the rooms have been changed over to the new quieter units. The rest are being done in an ongoing process.

Soap: You would not believe the amount of time we spent trying to find cute little soaps, shampoos and lotions for the bathrooms. Some things are very difficult to find in Mexico, and this was one of them. When we finally settled on this local company, we thought we had a winner. The products were pretty and smelled good. But, as it turns out, they don’t create that good ole lather than people love. So, it’s back to the drawing board. We’ll replace them as soon as we can find a suitable substitute.

Owners: That would be us. We are very sorry if we didn’t give you the attention or time you wanted. We bought this hotel because we enjoy talking with people. However, the truth is that sometimes our focus must be elsewhere. Since this is a “mom and pop” operation, we do our own bookkeeping, payroll, shopping, etc. We even have to clean rooms on occasion. Sometimes one of us (or as happened recently, both of us) gets sick. And, on occasion (but not often) we actually like to take a day off to enjoy this beautiful vacation spot ourselves. Hey, that’s one of the reasons we moved here! We do our best to try and give every guest personal attention, and if we failed to do so with you, we are very sorry. We will continue to work with our staff so that the Luna Blue provides the best personal service around, even when we can't be at the front desk.

Tony & Cheri
Luna Blue Hotel & Garden

Lakeway/ Austin, TX
Reviewed 6 September 2006

After 4 trips to Mexico and staying in AI's we decided to stay in town instead of catching a taxi every time we wanted to escape from the AI. Not to say that they are bad, just after a while you want to see what Mexico is really like. Luna Blue was just what we wanted in this adventure. Just off the main "drag" in PDC it is quite, but not boring, and secure! Any time we came and went there was allways some one to greet you (speaking english) and answer any question you may have...from food, beach, tour and even some shopping ideals. And at night access was thru a massive wooden door, which the key was suppiled at check in, along with your room key on a key chain that clipped on to a belt loop or whatever. The room was simple but covered everything we needed, a great bed (not the brick like AI's), ice box, bottled water, good A/C , fan and a view of the grounds from the patio to die for! Add on the free access to the beach club, towels and some beach toy's (boogie board, etc) it was great!!! Will be back as soon as we reload vacation time....back in Austin, TX for now.

• Liked — The staff really tried to assist you with any question you may have had.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — book early!
10 Thank #1seadawg
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 5 September 2006

We came from Italy and stayed ten days (Aug 9th to 18th) at Luna Blue. Everything fullfilled our expectation. A very charming and quiet place, rooms well furnished, mattress comfortable (only item to note the AC too noisy).
Very professional staff :both chamber maid,(room is perfectly cleaned up every morning )and door men( very nice guys too).
Tony and Cherie ready to intervene for any minor trouble you should get (also for just a clarification with car rental dealer).
Strongly suggestable also for very good ratio between quality and price.
Giancarlo and Bruna

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — noisy AC
  • Tips/Secrets — one drop of tequila on the terrace every night before .....
12 Thank ricciola