“Great owners, great value”
Review of Luna Blue Hotel

Luna Blue Hotel
Ranked #108 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 3 October 2006

My husband and I stayed at the hotel from Sep. 21-24. The owners were at the front desk when we arrived (late evening), and as this was our fourth trip to PDC in 4 years, it was refreshing to have American owners greet us. They gave us several restaurant recommendations, which we asked for.

We stayed in the treetop room, which was very basic in appearance inside. Only suggested improvement would be the mattress pads (which a previous response says they are acquiring), and perhaps some nicer bed linens, but that is just personal (and somewhat nit-picky) preference. The room had a mini fridge, which is great for beer, wine, etc.

The outside patio with palapa roof and chairs was AWESOME. Every night, my husband and I would have a nightcap out there, and it was our favorite part of our room.

The rest of the hotel grounds/garden were very nice. They had just finished the waterfall feature on the lower level where a Jacuzzi is going to go. The 'hole' referred to in the previous review is not actually a hole. It is the way the grounds are shaped - kind of cut deeply into the rock, which slopes below street level. There is a wooden platform down there for the upcoming Jacuzzi (lack of appropriate workmen/installers have apparently delayed this project, but it is just THAT way in Mexico), and near the check-in area, they were finishing what looked like a plumbing installation for a bar they are installing.

But that is the only area that is 'under construction' and that term barely even applies. We never had any bug problems while we were there, and it rained several times.

All in all, this is a GREAT value. It is not an ideal choice for someone who is expecting fancy room service or chocolates on their pillows, but personally, we don't go PDC to hang out in our room - we go for the beach, restaurants and beautiful outdoor environment. If you want a hotel that includes nice, basic accommodations, owners who speak your language and can send you in the right directions, and free day passes for the beach club ALL for under $80 a night, this is the place for you.

Places we have stayed before: Iberstar Quetzal, Mosquito Blue, Villas Sacbe Condominiums.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Julie A

Reviewed 27 September 2006

I can't say enough about what a wonderful time I had in Playa Del Carmen at the Luna Blue Hotel. The hotel was in an excellent location within a very short walk to the best beach in town and close to countless great places to eat. The room I stayed in was very clean, spacious, and comfortable and the attached kitchen was a nice bonus. The most exceptional part of my stay was the extremely helpful and accomodating staff. The owners Tony and Cheri were so welcoming and helpful in giving tips to the best places to visit in Playa. Overall I had an incredible time in Playa Del Carmen largely due to my stay at Luna Blue and the incredible customer service from the hotel staff.

5  Thank presidiobabe
Reviewed 27 September 2006

I had the pleasure of staying at Luna Blue in May of 2006 with several friends. This was my second stay (first one in Feb 2006) and like the first time I found Luna Blue is consistent in cleanliness, comfort and charm! The owners Tony and Cheri make you feel welcome from the minute you check in!

The rooms are very spacious (several different types and sizes depending on your needs). I found the beds to be very comfortable, as most beds in mexico can be on the hard side, these were not! The rooms are ALWAYS clean and the air con works great! My room in May was a kitchen suite with a huge table and 4 chairs, fridge, bottled water and a coffee maker. A nice feature when you want to have your morning coffee outside of your room sitting on your patio contemplating your day! the grounds at Luna Blue are probably the best I have seen in Playa for a samll hotel. Plam trees, banana plants, flowers....beautiful! Another bonus with staying at Luna blue is that you get beach passes to Mamitas Beach club for use of lounge chairs and palapas. Luna blue also provides beach towels for your use which is a major plus so you don't have to bring your own from home or buy one.

Location, location, location! Luna Blue is located on the north part of 5th Ave. in the very charming part of town called "Little Italy" where you will find several lovely cafes and resturants, all within a few minutes walking distance.

I would not hesitate recommending Luna Blue to anyone who is looking for a very affordable, clean, comfortable, charming, well run hotel in Playa whos owners will stop at nothing to make your stay the best part of your Playa experience!

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled with friends
13  Thank IAH
Reviewed 27 September 2006

This was actually my third trip to Luna Blue in the last 6 months (Feb, May and July) and I can't see a reason to stay anywhere else. In fact I've got my reservations for my next trip already set up. The owners, Tony and Cheri, are wonderful people who've helped us with everything from where to have dinner to how to get to some of the best secret cenotes and beaches in the area. Luna Blue is on the north end of town known as "Little Italy", just a couple of blocks from the best stretch of beach in Playa and Mamitas beach club. The rooms are clean, large and airy with colors of the Carribean and decorated simply with beautiful artwork from very talented local artists. (cold AC as well!) On my first trip I stayed in a Superior room #23 and just loved it. Tucked in the back and upstairs it was my own private treehouse. The next two trips I shared a kitchen suite with a friend and we had tons of room for all our stuff and plenty of personal space. The room actually sleeps 4 and has a fully stocked kitchen with utensils, coffee maker, fridge, 5 gallon purified water bottle and a beautiful carved wood dining table and 4 chairs. I spent most mornings drinking my coffee on the large patio or swinging in the hammock. The courtyard of Luna Blue is full of colorful flowers and hearty foliage lining quaint stone walkways and makes you feel like youre in a jungle retreat. I've never had a problem with bugs, mosquitos or the like inside the rooms or the courtyard. There are many great, very reasonably priced restaurants all around the hotel and a small grocery right across the street that's well stocked with beer, snacks and other essentials and has great prices...they even have delicious birthday cakes which came in handy on one occassion. Tony and Cheri work hard to make their guests feel special and their hotel like home. Luna Blue is comfortable, inviting, perfectly located and has a special place in my heart. I can hardly wait until I can get back to my treehouse.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with friends
17  Thank Playaluver
Reviewed 26 September 2006

Stayed at this lil place in June-just a long weekend away. We are no newcomers to Playa del Carmen, been visiting several times a year since 1987. I'd watched as the old place took on a new character and had read some fabulous things about new owners and thought I'd give them a try. Reasonable rates and we lucked out getting the roof-top terrace room #9. The "love -nest" they call it. Had all the help we needed with our luggage to the top too! Beautiful, clean, a view to "die-for" and privacy. The owners were away that particular weekend so I don't know if the staff was on their "better than average" behavior but if that kind of treatment is the norm, you'll not only be treated like royalty but most likely make a friend for life as we did with Genaro, the day-time desk clerk. We now will be booking all our trips to Playa at the Luna Blue, we've found a home away from home.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Popeyeiam
Reviewed 26 September 2006

I had spent some time at Luna Blue during February 2006 as I had friends that were staying there. So, when I returned in June this year we booked the Love Nest and one of the kitchenette rooms. Both rooms were great!!! This hotel is set in a beautiful garden area and close to the north beaches (which are my favorite).

Tony and Cheri are awesome owners. They really seem to care about their guests. They made us feel very welcome. They have done a fabulous job with this charming smaller property. I highly recommend staying at Luna Blue!!! Matter of fact, I already am booked for another stay in November there.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with friends
11  Thank Angelhouston
Reviewed 23 September 2006

This is the cutest hotel! It's a beautiful jungle oasis on the northern end of PDC. The hotel is right off 5th Avenue (so it's nice and quiet) but extremely close to the action...it's an easy walk to all of the shops and restaurants, and the beach. Staying at the hotel gives you access to the beach club's chairs and umbrellas. (Though the club advertises that there's a pool, be aware that it's pretty much just a small kiddy pool.)
Tony and Cheri were wonderful and took care of every detail personally. They had excellent recommendations on where to eat (HC Monteray has the best steak I've ever tasted - we went 2 days in a row!), things to do, and how to get there. Everyone on the staff is lovely and helpful.
My husband and I stayed in a Superior room...all rooms had a little patio out front, great for sipping wine and reading in the afternoon/evening (but bring bug spray!) The beds were firmer than I thought I'd like, but I slept great! I wish we had more time there!
A great find! I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple