“good price for the service and facilities”
Review of Hotel Eclipse

and 1 more site!
Hotel Eclipse
Ranked #149 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Zacatecas, Mexico
“good price for the service and facilities”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

The owner is a very nice German guy who lives in Mexico. Er spricht gut Spanisch auch. El hotel es agradable, muy limpio y tiene todas las comodidades básicas.

Room Tip: Suites are very nice
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank samyeguiluz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Hebrew first
Martha's Vineyard
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I'm sure this used to be a nice little place. Very quaint, nothing fancy and a good location....before the clubs moved in. There are literally six open air bar/clubs beginning two doors down. They blast the music so loud, each trying to outdo the other, the windows in our room vibrated. My mistake, as I didn't check tripadvisor before securing a room here. We left after only two nights. Just couldn't take it and will never return. Don't be fooled into thinking the rooms off the road are more quiet. The music seems to echo and travel around the courtyard of this place. It's ruined this place, unless you like staying up until 5:30am, which is when the music and noise stopped.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Knows
Austin
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Well part of it was my own fault not reading TripAdvisor! The title "Sleeping in a Disco" is right on. I arrived at midnight and all clubs were already in full swing. These clubs are right down the street and are one of the few ones opened till 4am. Immediately when I got here I was welcomed warm heartedly and told that noise would not be an issue they have double paned widows and then provided with ear plugs and instructed on how to use these. What brought me to the place was the location and also the style of the room, the Robinson Crusoe look. Well I got a different room a much bigger one but not want I had initially in mind. Another thing was the price, I was told that there is an extra 6% charge if I use my credit card. This was not indicated properly on the site, only if I pay cash will I not have this issue. The room was nice, staff very friendly, but if I had read TripAdvisor I would have picked up not only the noise issue each and every night of my 7 day stay but also the other complaints made about the sheets and mattress. In addition the bathroom sink had severe issues where the faucet was shorter then the basin making water leak all over the counter and difficult to place your hands under the faucet to get access to water.

I am totally not happy with the place. When one goes on vacation you expect that what you pay for is clearly stated, any pictures that show the room your are booking is exactly or closely follow with what you choose up front and and that any extra charges or fees are clearly indicated. If this is not the case and they can not meet this then the hotel should let you know up front so you can make the right decisions up front and not have to deal with them on the spot during ones stay.

Well it is what it is!

I will definitely come back to Playa but their won't be an eclipse in mind! :)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank drgeb
Salmon Arm BC
Reviewed 28 April 2011

I must start out by saying the staff were wonderful and very kind. My husband and I were looking for a quiet serene place for this vacation, and although the court yard is lush it is not so quiet. If we were into the night life scene it would be perfect as there were 3 discos nearby. We had booked to stay for 15 nights but only stayed one as unfortunately we were placed on the ground floor which faced into the small court yard and everyone entering stared in our room, so we needed to leave the drapes closed, this left the room dark. No other rooms were available due to the Easter weekend. Since we are a middle aged couple who were looking for tranquility this was not the place for us as the discos can be heard till the wee hours of the night. If we were younger and wanting to enjoy the loud music and dancing you canot beat this location. The beach club is a fair walk away as well but there are so many places to rent a chair this is not really an issue. Our world traveller daughter would have loved this place.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank vacationsrforus
Haslett, Michigan
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Just returned from a second stay at Hotel Eclipse... the first time being 10 years ago when the location WAS great, but now there are 4 discos just outside the door that play music until 4 a.m., 7 nights a week. I'm not kidding, it was really loud. We were able to move to a room in the inner courtyard that was better, but still noisy. The breakfast was just ok-- we enjoyed the strong coffee and the fresh juice, the toast/pastries were pretty stale. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, let us borrow snorkel gear for the day. The bedding is really old and outdated in the rooms, but everything was pretty clean, the courtyard area is cute. It worked for a quick budget vacation with friends. I would NOT recommend this hotel for families!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank cateringgirl3
Manitoba
Reviewed 16 March 2011

My husband and I found this hotel online. We looked at the website, and it looked and sounded like a great place to stay with the Mexican charm we were looking for.

My lesson was this:

Do not judge a hotel by the website.

The website says this:

"The Eclipse Hotel is located in Playa del Carmen's most privileged location, in the very heart of town, on First Avenue, between the beach and Fifth Avenue (close to the action, yet secluded enough to guarantee you a good night's sleep)."

Unless you like to go to sleep after 4 or 5 AM, you are not getting a good nights sleep. There are 4 very happening bars located literally 50 steps from the hotel that play loud music from about 10 pm until 4 am. And the mattresses are very hard and uncomfortable.
Also, we found the website to be very misleading....there is NO snorkel equipment for guests to use...there is no Deli Shop to eat at....24 hour security service?? Not so much....we arrived to a dark hotel that even though we gave them our credit card information and had a confirmation for our 10 NIGHT stay, there was no one around to contact...there is a phone #...but we did not bring out cell phones as we are from Canada going to Mexico for a vacation....not a business trip. After the friendly girl in the shop next door tried to help us out and after almost an hour....We ended up having to stay in a dingy little hotel room with no hot water...across the street for the night. (not the most enjoyable thing after a FULL day of flying with 2 kids and 4 suitcases to lug around)
There is no place to get a massage........the terrace that is pictured on the website photos looks NOTHING like the photos. It is unused and un kept. I even got to sneak a peak at the rooftop jacuzzi tub that looks like it hasn't been used in about 12 months.

The safe in the rooms are there, yes, but at a charge of $2.00 USD per day. The barbecue area....um....well we didn't cook any food on it....lets just leave it at that.
Not sure what kind of room service they offer, seeing as there is no place to eat other than the continental breakfast they offer ar $5.00 USD per person per day, which we did find sufficient. Fruit, toast, cereal, coffee, tea, juice, and some pastries. It was good. And the lady that serves it every morning, not too sure of her name....well, she was sweet.

There is no Bar and Restaurant. So dont believe that either. As for the beach club facility access...not sure where that is...nor was it mentioned to us upon arrival or at anytime during our stay. There is internet, but it does have a cost of a minimum of 10 pesos. Even for hotel guests.

So, from our point of view, we do NOT recommend this hotel. It has a lot of false advertising on it;s website, and pamphlets, and unless you are going to be out partying all night long every night....this is not the place for you. Which is unfortunate, as it is close to the beach (but there are lots of others) and the room itself was nice. It was clean and the bathroom was good.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank SunKisstManitoba
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 28 February 2011

My husband and I stayed here two nights and really liked this hotel itself. The room was huge, very clean and a great rate, $90 night. We had a balcony, as well as access to the jungle courtyard. The only complaint is the noise from the clubs a block away made it very difficult to sleep. If you're a light to medium sleeper, I would suggest finding a place further away from the clubs (Blue Parrot, etc.) Well, to be honest...I'm not sure which was worse, the women next door loudly complaining about the noise all night or the music itself. ;)

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple