“Great value”

Barrio Latino Hotel
Ranked #71 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 8 June 2013

The room is simple and clean, but the bathroom floor was extremely slippery. The floor was still soapy after they mop and I almost slipped. I stayed in the first room so it was noisy and everyday at 8 a group of people would be talking at the front desk. I highly suggest that you get a room away from the front desk and get the room with AC and pay a little more because it is humid and there are a lot of mosquitos. They offer free wifi, but it is slow. However, it is in a great location, not too far from the restaurants and night life.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the front desk.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Amanda T
Barrio-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Thanks Amanda!
It is right if you suggest that rooms farer from the reception might be quiter, and I think that you had the idea of a noisy room because you didn't rent the room with the a/c service and you might have decided to leave the windows open.
In fact, all the rooms have a normal a/c minisplit unit together with a ceiling fan, but when you decide to book a Budget rate, and you don't want to upgrade when at the Hotel, you get less comfort for a lower price . All together, I suggest to go for the a/c.
The floor also needs a while to dry, it is humid here.
I often enjoy travel, and I still have to pay to get a wifi service almost everywhere, which I think it is unacceptable nowadays and it is why I push the owner to expand the wifi networks and related services. This year we are working with two lines, eight wide range routers and a dedicated network to the Apple users.
What we cannot decide is the speed of the network, which is 10G (not the lowest) : but I understand that if you come from a New York ish experience you could consider it low.
You must also consider that every client carry between 1 and 3 devices, and I have been told that if one is slow, all the newtork will work slower.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

I was there in october 2012, the hotel is very well located, the people at the reception was really friendly, the romos were ok for the Price and the bathroom are really nice decorated. Iwasn't lucky and there was a party from people of Israel celebrating or christhmas or easter I can't remember. They did so much noise all night I couldn`t sleep.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you dear guest and please accept our apologies for what happened.
The co worker in charge of the night you mentioned was a new one and is not working with us anymore .
We prefer to protect the client's sleep and suggest our most vibrating clients, to vibrate in the clubs .

Reviewed 28 May 2013

I did a ton of research before I booked here last summer. The people and the management are great. The rooms are simple with style. This place is very secure and safe. They are very helpful and even have free international calling and wifi. It is just far enough off the strip to have a quiet nights sleep and if you can walk about a block to Sandra's restaurant you can pick up a great meal for 2 for under 10$ USD also look across the street and you will find a great Italian restaurant. Go here stay play here. Your not going to beat the value.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Bubbaskyjacker
Barrio-Management, Director of Sales at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Grazie mille!
The Barrio Latino área is named Casco Viejo being the oldest of Playa. We could say old compared to the boom of residents and investors after 1995 (from 10k to 220k) , but we should say Ancient if we think of the Mayan ruins between the área named PlayaCar and Calle 14 (almost 80, mostly unknown to the tourists but we are here to share the map) . I am pretty sure that we, the italians, arrived after 1995 , but now you will find 13000 citizens from Italy side by side with new residents coming from 47 different Countries and every área you could mention of Mexico.
Great weather, White Sandy beaches , a lot of great mexican food and also pizza and pasta... enough excuses to visit and maybe stay forever.
Well then, if you want to listen to a conversation between a Mayan, a German, an Italian, and someone else who wants to join the club. visit Calle 4 and say hi to the Barrio Latino staff!

Reviewed 19 May 2013

Its one of the cheapest hotels in Playa and I was a little insecure booking this hotel - specially because I was with my mom. But she loved it and so did I: A/C rooms, complimentary breakfast, free parking, silent street. But still in a great location to walk everywhere in Playa.

Dont expect hotel beds or big bathrooms or soft linen, but everything is just comfortable enough for the price. If you've been to Brazil on a budget, it's just like a pousada, the kind of cheap accommodation you find at brazilian beaches.

I guess that having the Caribbean just two blocks away makes you want to stay outside the hotel all the time, so I wouldn't care for more than Barrio Latino offers. I was just what I needed!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Pereira01
Barrio-Management, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Dear friend from Sao Paulo,
you are part of the important number of very welcome tourists from Brazil now visiting the Barrio Latino Hotel.
We are very pleased to have you here and help you enjoying the area. Our goal is to offer a clean and safe accomodation at good rates, and we have been working on it since 1997 when the Riviera Maya with the big all inclusive Hotels didn't exist at all.
Playa del Carmen have to be lived from the inside, and choose a different accomodation is, in my opinion, just a mistake.
About our services, enjoy the low key ambiance. Mattresses seller deliver the same model to the five star hotel of a big spanish chain, and together with the pillows get high evaluation among our guests, while the free calls to Brazil might be an exclusive service of the Barrio Latino, and wifi is built over a 7 router web plus a new option for the Apple devices.
See you next visit !

Reviewed 2 May 2013

I spent a weekend on Barrio Latino Hotel with my boyfriend! The bed was big and really confortable with nice matress and clean sheets! Just the courtins of the window was not dark enough, others clients could see inside the room. We could use the parking area what was a plus!!! The room has a hamaca where you can lay down, read a book or just relax! The location is very good, near to the 5a Avenue, but not near enough to bother you with the noise! I would come back!

• Stayed: April 2013

Thanks Keila!
I liked your nice words, will focus on your comment about the curtains and when needed will fix it with a darker one.
Gracias!

Reviewed 7 April 2013

Found this hotel online and decided to take a chance, as the price and location were right. Was pleasantly surprised because I had not realized that there would be a fridge in the room and continental breakfast was included.
Clean, quiet, close to everything -- I could not have asked for more! Great beds and pillows (something not always found in Mexican hotels in this price range). Good size rooms, and the hammock on the balcony was a real treat. I was able to spend evenings reading under the palapa with my own beverages, delightful!
As a single woman, I felt very comfortable especially knowing there was someone at the Front Desk 24/7. Marco was especially helpful with bus schedules and even helped me check out hotels online for my next destination.
I would definitely recommend this place, and would return again!

Room Tip: some rooms are on the ground floor while others are higher up (although I think the hotel is only 3...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank SusanC507
Barrio-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2013

Thanks Susan!
We are very pleased to have solo travelers here and help them as much as we can.
The hotel is kind of tailored to independent travelers and lucky the ones who are able to enjoy a full holiday on their own!
Thanks for mentioning Marco's efforts to provide updated indications of the area.
I read your suggestions about the rooms, thank you : Hotel is just two levels, but could be important to add that main differences are between a Superior room and a Caribbean Room , which could be with a double or a king size bed (also different areas) . Budget is only a different rate. Everyone face the garden area, and are sixed for one or two guests.
See you soon!

Reviewed 20 March 2013

We stayed at this Hotel just this past week. I highly recommend it to the traveler that is looking for a clean, quiet, inexpensive, comfortable hotel that is ideally located. We walked everywhere in just a few minutes. The rooms are cleaned very nicely and the beds and pillows are comfortable. We had a very nice little fridge for beers.. The morning coffee and bread is really a nice way to start the day. The staff and the manager and his wife are really the nicest people I've ever dealt with. They really work very hard to provide a pleasant place to stay. I also have to mention the two dogs that are often at the front desk. Little Mafalda and her daughter Lola. Sweet little Cocker Spaniels. They don't want people to feed them but they let me give Lola dog biscuits and she would run up to our room to visit. So sweet.

Room Tip: I would strongly suggest paying a little more for a room with AC. Gets pretty humid without it. We s...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Curtis A

Gracias Mr Curtis,
Monica my wife - together with Mafalda, Lola and I thank you very much for your stay. Give our bests to your wife also, you both were very kind and so friendly with all of us.
We were surpirsed when we saw pictures of misses Lola and Mafi visitng your room ahah!
Well thank you for your visit!
About your tips to other travelers, let me suggest to use the A/C also, I agree with you : all rooms have the minisplit unit installed but a Budget rate is available sometimes and when you book it, remember you will have to pay an extra if you change idea and want to use it together with the ceiling fan which is everywhere , also, off course.
I also read a complaint of another guest in another page, where answers are not allowed, so let me explain that we do not switch off the air conditioning during the night. If it happened to a guest, it might have been because a former guest of the same room set via the remote control , a timer. The same timer should be set as wished by the new guest, and we can help with it.
Happy Spring!