“A pleasure to return to Barrio Latino”

Barrio Latino Hotel
Ranked #67 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“A pleasure to return to Barrio Latino”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

My husband and I have stayed in this little hotel three times. We find it affordable, clean, basic and close to the bus station. We travel to Mexico annually and this is one of our stops along the way to our next destination. This time we stayed in a room upstairs and around back. It had a king sized bed, which was very comfortable. There is nothing fancy about the rooms in this hotel but they are affordable and I feel safe here. The staff is always friendly. They even carried my luggage up the stairs. The room has soap, towels, A/C. No phones but there is a phone and computer for your use in the lobby. You can even call to the US without charges. Breakfast is simple. Coffee or tea, juice and a roll with butter or jam. The ocean is 2 blocks away, so no need for a pool. For the price, it is a bargain in Playa Del Carmen. Many other hotels cost a lot more so if you are a budget minded traveler, you should give this place a try.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Acmeflower
Barrio-Management, Public Relations Manager at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Thanks Acmeflower,
you are now a regular at the Barrio Latino and your reviews are so helpful!
You had one among the new rooms, facing the new second garden area, and I am happy you enjoied it!
Please keep visiting, enjoying Playa, and have a great 2014!
Andrea and Staff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 27 September 2013

There's nothing bad I can say about this nice cosy hotel in Playa. It has all you need for a comfortable holiday ( I stayed there 22 days). The staff is super accommodating and friendly. It's one block from the main drag, la Quinta, and yet perfectly calm. I will stay there again. Oh, and I also got a great deal from booking on line since there was a special offer at the time!

• Stayed September 2013
Rehovot, Israel
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Like a few of the reviews have said make sur enough know what you are getting into.
I stayed one night with my wife.
The staff were very friendly, the room was very clean, there is no phone or clock in the room and we didnt seem Tom have a remote for the air, but I presume we could have got one if we asked for it. there is a hammock outside each roo which was a nice feature and the courtyard is nice and quiet.
Would we stay again, possibly not but the it is not what we are looking for. If we were on a backpacking adventure and wanted somewhere to escape to In the city the this is perfect just don't expect any frills

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Aaron_Marissa
Barrio-Management, General Manager at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Interesting review!

Even if a "hostel" means a basic accomodation in a touristic Town mostly everywhere, in this área of Mexico we belong to the Hotel category.
It should mean a lot when deciding where to stay, because there are no laws for the hostels but to be listed like a Hotel you must follow several local and national laws and be checked constantly, which makes a difference for the quality of holiday, security, and respect of workers´ rights also, i.e. : we have been opened with this local certification since 1997.
Among the Hotel categories, we agree, stars and amenities together with rates mean a wide range of options, and we fit in the Budget Traveler block.

I hope my words have any sense to explain that I respect your point of view but I am also moved to underline that we are 100% a Hotel and 0% a Hostel ( we don't offer shared bathrooms, dorms, i.e.) , a category, I repeat, assigned by the Government.

Also, honeymooners, divers, adult independent travelers and solo visitors, are among our clients, because of the charme, the location and the price (why not) of this Small Hotel, while backpackers have slowly moved to the tens of hostels in Town where the spirit is to share the mínimum cost of a never ending Holiday.

All rooms have minisplit units with their specific assigned remote control.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 August 2013

As long as you know what you are getting into you should be fine. Clean functional room with A/C, shower, comfortable beds, secure property, good proximity to beach, bus station, and central Playa del Carmen, very limited continental breakfast. No TV, no phone in room; but you are able to make calls from reception.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Thorner H
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here I August and were satisfied by the accommodation ! The location is great ( close to the beach, the collectivo to go to Tulum, restaurants and beautiful 5th avenue) . It was really worth it for the price. The room is nice, clean and with ac! You are not getting more nor less for your money ! It is the perfect place to stay when you want to enjoy the riviera maya to its fullest! Furthermore, the staff is very friendly and helpful when looking for activities and good restaurants !
I would definitely come for an other stay when coming to Playa and recommend this hotel to friends and family !

• Stayed August 2013
6 Thank Melissa514
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

First to be honest I have to say there is nothing wrong with this hotel: it is basic,almost like a monastery, but clean and very well located for shopping, restaurants and the beach.
Nonetheless I did not enjoy to stay there, and if we hadn't paid in advance,I would have moved somewhere else.
The employees, except the night front desk attendant who is helpful and polite,are just bored,lunatic,never smile or try to interact with the clients.You try to say hello a few times with no response back or a bland look...then you give up. Since the continental breakfast is very limited(cheap rolls reluctantly served by a guy who prefers to check messages on his mobile, watered down coffee and corn flakes whose expiration date is way passed...)I decided to bring a fruit salad and a yogurt bought outside. Well the waiter dropped his mobile phone for a minute to come and let me know that guests were not allowed to bring food in the breakfast room! He actually did me a favour, because that place and its surrounding garden are infested with mosquitoes and I took my meal back to the bedroom,which at least was nicely air-conditioned and insect-free...
I didn't either appreciate some of the guests who were hanging out all-day with beer in hand on their terraces close to the reception.Their social skills or enjoyment level was about the same as the afore-mentioned employees.

All this to say that the whole place exuded a bad vibe, and it is a shame because again,the rooms are ok,the showers are powerful,the bed comfy! And the internet connection was the quickest and most reliable we had in Mexico. Fortunately we had better hotel experiences in Playa del Carmen,at El Acuario and at Casa de Las Flores...check their rates out before booking,they may seem more expensive but are certainly worth the difference!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank JacquesMS
Barrio-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
if you think you have read my reply to this comment with other content, you're right. In fact, our guest wrote to me and we had a conversation that I consider very positive and honest and we could understand each other without filters, for this reason I decided to make my answer more serene.
    I therefore thank our friend and I will talk about these our conversations with all employees, with the aim of achieving the highest satisfaction among customers.
    Does not offend be considered in this long period of attention to our savings, a Budget Hotel, and we want to be the best option in the Town in this category: for this I approve the suggestion to consider various options around, we know that often we will be the chosen and not just for the best price.
    A special thank you to our guest.
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

For $53 we enjoyed a king bed, air conditioning, nice bathroom, courteous service all within a short 2 block walk to the beach. Most of the guests were Europeans and young. Very basic accommodations - no bottled water provided, no ice available, no TV. But free wifi and continental breakfast and free long distance phone calls from the office. Very good value.

• Stayed July 2013