“Welcoming, thoughtful and kind - and care to the Environment too!”

Barrio Latino Hotel
Ranked #70 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 8 May 2010

I recently returned to Playa after more than 20 years and so much has changed. Now with so many choices for a place to stay I was thrilled to have found Barrio Latino Playa del Carmen - they were the perfect choice!

The Mexican feeling of the hotel was so welcoming, simple but with character, the beautiful garden (as well as the cutest cocker spaniels who stay for some hours in the hotel!) all made me feel instantly a part of Playa.

The room was sweet and subtly colorful - I felt like I was in the real Mexico - and with all the amenities too! I was most appreciative to learn that they take care to the environment and don't waste unnecessary energy (they kindly turned off the ac when I forgot once before I left for the day). There was just the right amount of morning breakfast choices too and the free WiFi was a great perk!

The staff was friendly and helpful (especially with the simple things I had forgotten after all these years) I definitely wanted their opinion on local restaurants because there were so many choices and not nearly enough time.

See you next year everyone at Barrio Latino!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 April 2010

I stayed here for 7 nights and it was absolutely lovely. The staff was friendly, helpful, and the area could not be better. I realized there were people coming from other areas further away just to use the beach that is one block away from this place.

There are a few culture shocks IN GENERAL coming to Mexico. The USA traveller can be picky. If you want the 5 star resort with hot water and perfect water pressure, this might not satisfy your tooth. However, if you are like me and you want a nice, comfortable, and great place at a great location while you eat and drink with the locals, this was a great choice for my first time at Playa del Carmen. I was a solo female traveller and felt very safe. The only thing is there is this bird that makes a weird noise at night (but that's not this hotel's fault). I found myself wearing ear plugs because of that bird. Besides that, this block was rather quiet and safe.

Wonderful place. As for the breakfast, I didn't eat there every day since I wanted to try local cuisine in area reataurants that were very inexpensive. The breakfast is basic. A glass of juice, cup of coffee, and a croissant with jam and butter (not really a croissant but a bread shaped like a croissant). It was good for the quick pick me up and later explore this wonderful town.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 April 2010

We chose this hotel from the Lonely Planet listing because the hotel we had originally booked (Hacienda Maria Bonita) was very noisy. The hotel us located two blocs away from Avenida 5, which means there is no bar / nighclub / restaurant / street noise in the immediate proximity. The buidling is in fairly good condition and is run by friendly gay staff. Rooms are spacious enough with very nice en-suite bathroom. Hot water takes some time to come, though.
The beach is 5 mn away. There is a shower available if you need to check out and want to spend your last hours on the beach.
Overall a very nice place, great value for the money, with friendly staff.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Barrio-Management, Andrea at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2010

Amigos,
your post was nice and we really appreciated it.
Noise in Playa del Carmen, a carribbean town loved by young minded people, sometimes is a big issue .
We have a lucky location where locals and small business leave together, so we could say our block is quite all year long except Semana Santa and Christmas Eve when schools are closed and brand new sound systems from the neighborhood play loud till late night, but who comes to sleep at night that weeks?
Beach life and mayan architecture lovers should consider it when traveling and when choosing the right location ( which is usually not, around the Calle 12 string of bars).
We could be a right one =) .

My wife ( from mexico, female) and I (from Italy, male) , together with most of the workers at the hotel, feel we would like to re - mark a part of your opinion, which is now "Friendly Gay Staff" - a definition we don't totally fit in , and suggest it should have been : "Gay Friendly Staff" , which is approved by all of us, since we don't discriminate colors, sexual orientation, religious ideas, among others, but even so, we as a group represent several origins , orientations, and religions.
All together, we are very happy you felt we were friendly =) .
Have a great year!

Reviewed 5 April 2010

Hotel have perfect location one block from noise on main ave and still close to beach. Services were excelent, everything was clean, fast, air condition workes well and rooms have large bed. Inside hotel is place were you can is under palm trees or in hammock which is in front of every room. Room service were excelent and they made animals from linen and towels almost every day. That is something more that you dont have in every hotel. Recepcion service was good as well and helpfull in the email and on the place also. Small minus is for small breakfast but you can buy more for small amount on place or you can go to local bakery. We were in Mexico for leisure and also for Maya ruins so we have to leave early many times - hotel is close to bus station so it is good for travelers.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Barrio-Management, andrea, manager at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2010

Díky za vaše milá komentář!
We were very happy to have you at the hotel, your nice words have been shared with the cleaning staff & the reception guys, thank you again.
I have a good feeling when tourists like you use Playa del Carmen and small hotels like the Barrio latino, as a basis to visit the town, the archeological sites, and the natural attractions between Playa and Tulum, south, and even Cancun , Isla Mujeres and Isla Holbox north.
It is a smart way of spending safe independent holidays, and help local economy instead of concentrating all the budget in one big pocket .

Reviewed 22 March 2010

We always select our hotel following Tripadvisor comments. It is the first time that I can say that I am disappointed by an hotel recommended by Tripadvisor.
Except the location which is central in Playa Del Carmen and the color of the room, the bathroom was not clean and had a musty smell. The shower was full of sediment.
The breakfast was really poor: choice between bread and cereals. All the rest were extra charges.
They turn off the A/C when you left your room and when you came back, the room is so hot that it is diifficult to stay there.
The price of the room is really not cheap for the service.
The scuba diving is really great in Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel is really closed and the reef is one of the best in the world.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EstGui
Barrio-Management, owner at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2010

Hello,
after reading your review, I understand you visited the Barrio Latino in august 2009, which would be 9 months ago. I don't know if we worked properly meanwhile, but you can read other clients' opinions, and maybe we improved even the room you used. Air conditioning is always working, it usually takes 10 to 15 minutes to get as cold as you wish, since every room has a minisplit independent unit.
Today I checked the bathrooms and they still look clean , no smell as well, which doesn't mean you are wrong, but your stay was so many months ago I can't say anything about that week, sorry . Even so, I read it to the cleaning staff, just in case.
Our hotel doesn't charge for the breakfast service, for the wifi internet , and for the parking, because we offer them (except in the Budget set) , so please considerthat it is always available a restaurant in the area if you wish to improve our courtesy package ( coffee 0r tea, with milk , AND croissant with butter & jam 0r Cereals, AND one of two among the fruit Juices of the Day) with eggs , tacos, beef, yoghurt, i.e. .
The value of the courtesy breakfast in town is 5 dlls per person, which is 10 dlls per room : sometimes is 1/5 of the value of the room , and haven't seen croissants or coffees left on the table in months, which makes us fill it is generally appreciated, probably not always understood.
All together, thanks for your post!
andrea

Reviewed 15 February 2010

My husband and I were looking for a cheap place to stay for my sister's Destination wedding so based on some reviews here we chose Barrio Latino. We booked it on Expedia.com w/our airfare for a great price. Only 'surprise' (I don't think this was listed on the expedia site when we booked) when we arrived was that to use the hotel's a/c and safe it was an extra $10/per day- this wasn't a huge deal but slightly unexpected.

Hotel staff was extremely friendly and accomodating- plus the hotel cocker spaniels, Lola and Mafalda were very friendly. Rooms were cleaned every day and although the rooms were basic it did have a fridge which was nice. The location of this hotel is a few blocks north of the busy 5th avenue so it was quiet at night and the restaurants near this hotel seemed to be less 'touristy' and more authentic and cheaper. Only bummer about the room was the beds, pretty stiff springs but still slept pretty good each night. The continental breakfast in the morning was basic (cereal/crossiants) but really good (the guava juice and coffee were excellent!). The courtyard/garden area was also a very nice space.

Overall for the price we were happy with our hotel choice. I don't think we will be back to Playa as it was definately more expensive than Puerto Vallarta. Also, although I knew a fair amount of Spanish, I was surprised at how little English everyone in Playa spoke compared to Puerto Vallarta. Its hard to give Playa a very fair review when I really fell in love with Puerto Vallarta last spring . . .

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roxy2584
Barrio-Management, owner (of Mafalda & Lola) at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2010

Hello dear friends, I hope that Minneapolis is pumpering you , despite the weather.
Thanks a lot for your review & pictures ... of Lola & Mafalda, by Lola & Mafalda .
And please allow me to explain why you had to pay en extra for the facilities you mention.
All the rooms Have available (if you prefer, installed & ready to work) : Mini Split A/C, In room Safe, Fridge, Ceiling Fan, Wifi Internet, Parking, International Calls , Courtesy Continental Breakfast.
You will understand that we put them with the idea of using them... but then arrived the crisis and the world Budget Accomodation appeared in too many mails from the clients, together with Best Offer, Discount , etc .
So now we offer the same room , in two options : the Superior, including the use of all above mentioned, and the Budget , which is a Superior available w/out the use of the Mini Split A/c ( we switch it off), the In Room Safe ( we don't deliver the key), and the Parking ( we have 6 parking spaces which we hold for the Superior room bookers).

When you book, you can read and choose among the two rooms ( we have a 3rd room set, which is the Caribbean, but it is offered in a complete set, just like the Superior one) .
And when you arrive, you can upgrade your set by paying an extra ( aircon 10 dlls and safe 4 dlls, a night, parking 5 dlls a night : which suggests to buy the Superior in advance if you decide to use 2 of 3) .
You could also get a 3rd bed at an extra cost ( 15 dlls), which makes the total cheaper among three travelers, but small - as well as sorry, but you can't get a King size Bed in a Budget set.
So, thanks for giving me the opportunity of clearing the situation to other future bookers, which could find extra information in our web page.

It is interesting that you support so strongly Puerto Vallarta, compared to Playa del Carmen, but you won't have my help here : Playa del Carmen is a beautifull mix of people from Mexico and all over the world, and even so, I think it is more interesting to get closer to the local language then trying to have your own language abroad .
I am Italian, and have to speak at least two more languages to be understood , when here or abroad, and most of times Spanish is the first one I can use, so I had to learn.
And about the sea, temperature, colors, and natural life, they can't be beaten : warm blue caribbean sea, white sandy beaches ( this year they are huuuge!) against cold and nervous sea, dark blu, and rocks.
When I totally agree with you, is that Mexico is a great Country and best option to spend short holidays or retire ,so viva Mexico!
Thanks for visiting , again!

Reviewed 11 February 2010

Barrio Latino provided the perfect quaint hotel for my daughter and I to meet at. She came from the East Coast and I came from the West Coast of the USA. The professional staff, clean rooms and safety were unquestionable. With the beach only two blocks away, we made many trips between siestas and eating. Everything we wanted was within walking distance. The morning sunrises to watch at the beach then back to Barrio Latino for expresso&breakfast. Lasting memories.......Thank You!

They also have two sweet resident dogs. I missed my cat & rabbit, these dogs would come to our room every so often when they sensed my animal longing.

• Stayed: February 2010
1  Thank vakashun
Barrio-Management, owner at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2010

Ciao Alida!
it was nice to have you here again, you are an important testimonial of the first travelers of old Playa ( which since you are young, isn't that old!) , and having you back means we are keeping "that" spirit you always mention.
Happy to meet your daughter , too, and hope to help if she decided to move here .
When I read the posts from the clients, I am always worried about what they could say and how I should answer, but your post will just move me to buy a bigger mirror for your next visit ( don't forget to mention it when booking ok?).
See you soon!