“Great small hotel”

Barrio Latino Hotel
Ranked #74 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 11 December 2010

I stayed here for three nights and enjoyed my stay very much. First, let me just say that you can get the best nightly rates on their website. I paid only $32/night and what you get for that price is really really great.
The staff is very friendly and helpful. As a solo female traveler my safety was of course a concern and I felt very safe here with the reception open all night and the attentiveness of the staff. The rooms are comfortable and painted in bright, very charming colors which I loved. I found the room to be designed very well- there was lots of shelving space to put my things and there was a mini fridge to keep bottled water cold which I appreciated (especially when I moved to my 2nd and 3rd hotels of the trip which were much more expensive and had no mini fridge or shelf space). I also loved the hammock on the balcony. The breakfast is nothing fancy but was certainly fine for me. I enjoyed sitting out in the charming garden area with my tea and fresh pastry I saw being delivered every morning.
The location is fantastic- 1 block from the main street with tons of shopping and restaurants. There are a lot of nice looking hotels right on that street but while I strolled along at 11pm listening to the loud tourists and music at the bars I was glad I chose to be a block away and able to enjoy a quiet night's sleep.
Overall I felt you could tell that the owners/managers of this hotel care for it very well and put a lot of thought into every aspect of it from the building/room layout, hired staff and little touches like the hand painting on the walls.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Barrio-Management, Manager at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2011

Hola,
I liked your review.
We try to be discrete, original, and not too expensive .
I understand you liked, and I want to thank you for your nice words for the staff and the short management team ( my wife and I) . She is an architect and I am a happy italian in the colorful Mexico, and according to your words we might have found a balance between local and international.
Also, we are often basis for solo travellers and keep a gentle eye on their needs .
Thanks again,
Andrea

Reviewed 8 December 2010

I loved this hotel! staff were friendly, free wireless internet and two blocks from the beach! it is also situated one block from the main shopping street! room was very clean with good maid service! i would definantly stay here again! and the best part is its cheap! the only part i did not like about this hotel was the free breakfast you were only allowed 1 glass of juice and either a crossiont or a bowl of cereal, i guess you cant ask for much when its free

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2010

This is a small quiet hotel with very clean rooms and an excellent staff. 2 cute little dogs Lola and Mafy made my stay very memorable!!! I would definitely recommend this hotel and look forward to stating ther in my future visits to Playa Del Carmen.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Barrio-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2011

I am reading and will to answer to answer several reviews and it happens I am very slow when it goes to a positive review .
A bad review can slow sales, but a good review is to all the workers of our small hotel a nice badge and a prize for doing a good word : this, has no price to us.
So please apologize if I answered late, but I want you to know that Mafalda and Lola are very happy about your review which are proudly showing to all the workers .
We hope to have you back at the Barrio Latino anytime.
Have a great year!
Andrea.

Reviewed 25 October 2010

My husband and I booked this hotel over a month in advance. We ended up arriving early and stopped by to see if they had room. They said they did not, but they were expecting us the next day. When we went back on the day they had us reserved they said they were overbooked and would move us to another hotel.
They moved us to a a very poor hotel that we would have never reserved for the price we paid for Barrio.
Poor Poor Poor management

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank blkimmel
Barrio-Management, Manager at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2010

Hi,
we are looking for your record to double check your reservation and what could have happened , since we are now at the end of October but you are mentioning a visit in early March.
We apologize if we had a problem with your booking, sometimes during high season the web agencies force our inventory and oversell the rooms, we suggest to book & double check with an email at the hotel , just in case.
When in troubles, we offer another accomodation which is just an option , or money back: and we usually send our clients to the Hotel Casa de Las Flores for prices and category .
I can read you enjoied it in another posts of yours, at least.
Thanks for giving us the opportunity to give a better service, and sorry again.
Andrea

Reviewed 27 September 2010

I recently stayed here at the Barrio Latino in Playa Del Carmen,,and enjoyed it so much.It is a very personal and friendly little Hotel.The owners care very much,and are sociable. The place is always clean,always smells clean. They let you used the Internet for free,,,,,,,free calls back home to Canada or U.S,or Europe . Free breakfast in the very cute Pallapa CourtYard....They have two little cute dogs that walk around.... I am TRULY a Fan of this place,I've been there 2 times now,and plan to go more often..I prefer it over my Time Share.. They treated me so well, and with the Cleanliness you must try it.....
Dean Adams,Ormstown, Quebec, Canada....... :)

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Thanks again !
It was really nice to have you back !
Hope to cold winter will push you to Playa as soon as possible.
You already know how to do it , how much it will cost , and where to stay, so switch off the heat and pack!

Reviewed 13 September 2010

I only stayed in this hotel for one night during the week. I'm pretty sure this is one of the slowest seasons for Mexico travel so the whole city was very quiet, including the hotel in which only us and maybe two other people were at this night. It was small and quiet, on a quiet street but close enough to everything. Free Wi-Fi which was nice. I wasn't completely pleased though. There was no hot water in the shower (which was ok since it was so hot outside and a cool shower was preferable) and the bathroom had a weird/bad smell even though it appeared clean. The bed was comfy enough and the AC sufficient for the hot weather outside. There was free continental breakfast but it was really minimal (cereal OR a crossiont, but not both!), and a glass of juice and coffee. I guess what made me doubt this place is that there are a TON of small hotels available for lodging closer to 5th Ave (if you WANT to be close) that are similarly priced. Also, I stayed at a hostel on 2 Notre and although the room was slightly less nice, it was cheaper, had unlimited continental breakfast (I like to eat), and was literally steps from the beach. I guess overall Barrio Latino was nice and accurately portrayed by previous reviews, but in comparison to others, maybe not your first choice.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nbad311
Barrio-Management, General Manager at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2010

Hi dear guest, first of all thanks for sharing your opinion with other guests : It is always more useful to get a feedback from the clients!
I am sorry I couldn't know about the hot water issue while you were here, because we could double check ( sometimes small things can be done to please the client and improve the quality of your stay) .
The temperature of water is a standard we check with the clients which most of times don't even open the hot water because ... the cold water is warm enough (believe it of not ) because of the local weather : sea temperature is 32 C today, i.e....
September (the month you spent your holidays in Playa) together with October and a part of November, are usually known as the low season and off course you can go around and look for the best deal, which makes sense : all together, if you used the wifi, the international calls at no cost, the safe, the a/c, and enjoied a room sold in late december at 125Usd, for less than 50 Usd, you could consider this hotel a good deal . A plan bed in a hostel , shared bathroom, in a dorm costs 12 Usd.
Could be nice to know about the other places you mentioned, because when I looked for them amoung your contributions I didn't find them.
About the Continental breakfast formula ( an international one you can check in Wikipedia, i.e.) our offer is ok : but let me underline which is the goal of this service.
We don't include the Continental breakfast in the room rate , as we don't include the Wifi, and the International Calls .
We offer a very clean room in a safe and calm location, with private bathroom and amenities.
And because of the similar offers you can get in town for the same or similar amount, we add value to the offer with courtesy wifi (which covers every area of the hotel), and parking, and international calls, and breakfast.
We had several clients asking for a larger menu, but few of them accepting to pay en extra.
So we decided to serve a menu which would cost 138 Mxp per person in Tulum ( ask and I will tell you were, in two different hotels I could check) , or 55/60 Mxp per person, again, downtown in Playa del Carmen.
It means a significative part of what we charge for the stay .
But let me tell you what means to us to serve this courtesy breakfast :
A worker of ours wakes up at 6.30 to set the restaurant and prepares the coffee which will be ready at 7.30.
The second worker wakes up at 6.30 to be at the hotel at 7.30 and dress himself to serve the breakfast : both of them, will clean the area from dust, rain or any other need .
The bakery worker will deliver the bread (croissant) on a daily basis, at 6:30, or earlier, as soon as the order is ready : someone else worked from 2 to 6 to cook them.
Two other workers of ours will go and buy cereals, jam, butter, milk, etc.
Everything is served in ceramic cups/dishes, or glasses : because we care about the environment and because we think they are nicer than plastic cups.
When the restaurant is closed, we still have to clean, wash, and organize the following day.
We are a small family and a small group of workers : it might happen that the worker is ill, and we go and serve the breakfast.
THis is what we would like to transmit when we say "courtesy" continental breakfast.
In our area, Barrio Latino is the only Hotel offering a breakfast to the guests, all the other ones canceled or never even thought about the service because of the growing costs.
But several restaurants in the area, offer a valid option to satisfy extra needs : our goal is to offer a pleasant start of the day, meet the new guests and suggest them the best way to have a great holiday in town !
Thank you very much for your stay, again.

Reviewed 11 August 2010

we have just spent 8 days in this hotel and I can only recommand it !
the staff is very helpfull and nice. Rooms are cute, nice bed, spotless, cleaned every days ! there's a continental breakfast included in the price, which is very nice. It's close to the beach and to the 5 th avenue. Lots of nice restaurants around ! There's a free wi fi connexion which workes perfectly.
If you are looking for a small hotel with good service, good value, very well located, the Barrio Latino is the place to go !
We hope to go back there soon !!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fifinou973

Thank you very much!
Since you mention our improved wifi access, I will take the chance to invite all the web surfers looking for a free access point in Playa del Carmen, to visit Calle 4 , Hotel Barrio Latino block.
We opened a free spot covering all the block and is always open and free of charge.
Ciao!